The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Default Need opinions fast! Torn between 2 Breedloves

Hey guys, I am looking to get a new breedlove and I am having trouble deciding between two! I am a huge breedlove fan. I don't have the ability to play both so I am basically seeing what you guys think is a better deal. Here are the two:

1. 2003 C25 Master Class Sitka/Curly Maple with sunburst finish. Excellent condition with K&K pickup. $XXXX

2. 1997 C2/R Master Class Sitka/Indian Rosewood. Excellent cndition with no electronics. $XXXX

The thing is that if I get the 97 I will have to get electronics put in so that would run about $180 (bringing the actual cost to $XXXX).

I do a pretty wide variety of playing styles but mostly strumming. I have plated a Sitka/Maple BL before and I was pretty blown away with how much bass it still had. I have never played a Sitka/RW BL before so I don't really know how that would sound...

Last edited by rlouie; 12-02-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Location: Where the blue sky leads me to follow the golden horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian7 View Post
Hey guys, I am looking to get a new breedlove and I am having trouble deciding between two! I am a huge breedlove fan. I don't have the ability to play both so I am basically seeing what you guys think is a better deal. Here are the two:

1. 2003 C25 Master Class Sitka/Curly Maple with sunburst finish. Excellent condition with K&K pickup. $XXXX

2. 1997 C2/R Master Class Sitka/Indian Rosewood. Excellent cndition with no electronics. $XXXX

The thing is that if I get the 97 I will have to get electronics put in so that would run about $180 (bringing the actual cost to $XXXX).

I do a pretty wide variety of playing styles but mostly strumming. I have plated a Sitka/Maple BL before and I was pretty blown away with how much bass it still had. I have never played a Sitka/RW BL before so I don't really know how that would sound...
I would not let a pickup decide a guitar buy, simply because if i get the guitar coz of the pickup, and i hate the guitar's neck or the sound, then does the pickup really matter?
So,
For a strummer, id personally go with the rosewood as this would , imo, be a better sounding "strummer", and i personally like the C2 Breedlove above all the rest..

If you were stickly a fingerstyle player, then maybe the maple would be the top contender..

Is it possible for the seller to adjust the cost of the rosewood to compensate for the lack of pickup?

Last edited by rlouie; 12-02-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Breedlove question

That is an interesting choice as they are very different instruments. The maple will not be able to give you a dark rich sound like the rosewood. The maple does however amplify well, but not as rich for fingerpicked sounds. The ones I have played I thought made better strummers, and even good for dropped tuning stuff. Don't let the lack of pickup make your choice for you. I love Breedloves as well. I got my Performance Focus RW/Cedar in July, and LOVE it. It will just depend on what your want to do with it. Great predicament to have.

Breedlove Performance Focus (SC25CRe)
Breedlove Studio BJ350SMe Bass.
Custom, Rushing 000 Bubinga/Spruce w/Fishman Rare-Earth Blender SHPU
Taylor GSMini
Ibanez AS-73 electric
Giannini Cedar top Nylon A/E
Gibson 1924 Tenor Banjo
Gold Tone Oval Hole Mando
Rozini Prof. Mod. Cavaquinho (A/E)
Kala Baritone Uke
Cordoba Concert Uke
Mainland Mahog. Tenor Uke

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Musical minimalist

having owned a few Breedlove masterclass guitars in the C size before, if it were me (and knowing you are saying mostly a strummer) I'd reccomend the Maple probably.....you'll probably get much better string definition (which to me is very important when "strumming") The deeper body on the Concert models when paired with rosewood can be a little much to my ear. Slower decay time and typical RW voicing don't work very well for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion