The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-20-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Why aren't people grabbing used Emeralds from Guitar Center?

I saw the X20 Nylon come up for $2400 and grabbed it even before they had time to put the picture up.
I was willing to take a risk, because the description said "quilted maple" if I recall correctly, and running a test build on the website, it was over $4700. For me, carbon fiber guitars look mint for years and there's little chance of functional problems, so buying used isn't much of a risk.

The cheapest wood veneer on Reverb is $2800, then the next is $2950, so $2400 is already a good deal even compared to used, even before you consider the premium for nylon.

But there have been a few Emeralds that were already for sale when I grabbed mine, that are still there.

There's a green one, quilt top, with the Krivo humbucker and (I think, gonna confirm when they open in 15 minutes) the midi output, for $2400.

Again, this seems like an absolute steal to me.

The Emerald Fan Club seems to rival Hamer USA Fan Club (electric guitars) in commitment and excitement once you get one. I know I'm converted.

Am I over-estimating the number of people who can afford and want a $2400 carbon fiber acoustic? Does the Krivo humbucker suck in an X10?

Are the people who can afford $2400 for top notch carbon fiber acoustic just more likely to wait and buy one new and spec'd to order?

Does the Emerald Fan Club just not consider watching Guitar Center and Music Go Round for steals and deals on used gear?

What am I missing?
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-20-2023, 10:11 AM

I don't think you are missing much, and I agree with you. Carbon fiber guitars in general are a bit of a niche market populated mostly by guitar geeks like us. You kinda already have to know about Emerald to realize what a deal those used prices are. I've had a Rainsong for 22 years so I am well aware of CF, but if not for being here on this forum I would not even know about Emerald as a brand. Now there are five of them in the house.

Emerald, Rainsong, etc don't show up in retail stores as regular stock so many players have never even seen one, much less realize what a fine instrument they are. How many $2400 items do you buy sight unseen? The price point is always a concern. I think the market is a pyramid with fewer buyers as the price increases. For every potential buyer of a $2400 guitar, there must be dozens or perhaps hundreds of buyers looking for a $500 guitar.

Personally I never look at the Guitar Center website unless it pops up in a thread here. That could factor in too.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I don't think you are missing much, and I agree with you. Carbon fiber guitars in general are a bit of a niche market populated mostly by guitar geeks like us. You kinda already have to know about Emerald to realize what a deal those used prices are. I've had a Rainsong for 22 years so I am well aware of CF, but if not for being here on this forum I would not even know about Emerald as a brand. Now there are five of them in the house.

Emerald, Rainsong, etc don't show up in retail stores as regular stock so many players have never even seen one, much less realize what a fine instrument they are. How many $2400 items do you buy sight unseen? The price point is always a concern. I think the market is a pyramid with fewer buyers as the price increases. For every potential buyer of a $2400 guitar, there must be dozens or perhaps hundreds of buyers looking for a $500 guitar.

Personally I never look at the Guitar Center website unless it pops up in a thread here. That could factor in too.
makes sense.
I just worried someone slipped some crazy pills into my morning coffee.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-20-2023, 10:39 AM

It's still quite a lot of money for what would be for me an experiment. I've never played an Emerald or any other composite guitar even heard anyone playing one in real life. I'm open to the possibility they are very good but I simply don't know if it's for me.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:46 AM

FSB, there are two parallel threads about test driving carbon fiber guitars here in the CF room. You can probably find someone near you for a meet and greet. But it might be dangerous to your wallet though.

I have owned four Martin guitars bought new and ten Taylor guitars, almost all bought new. Now I have one Taylor all-koa model left for sentimental reasons and all the M's are long gone. Meanwhile, there are eight carbon fiber guitars and ukulele here. I'm a convert. Come for the durability and low maintenance, stay for the tone and quality.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:03 AM

FWIW, Guitar Center has a 45-day return policy for anything except scratch-n-dent models.
Includes their used stuff.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-20-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
FWIW, Guitar Center has a 45-day return policy for anything except scratch-n-dent models.
Includes their used stuff.
Sweetwater has a good return policy as well. When I was considering getting a Composite Acoustics, I bought one with the understanding of my sales rep that if it didn't work out like I wanted, I'd be returning it (shipping on my own dime). It seemed a good way to do a demo at a moderate cost (worth $100 to save a mistake buying a $3K instrument).

Currently they only carry Journey CF guitars, though.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:30 PM

Guitar Center is the best place to buy used if you find something appealing because of their unprecedented return policy!

I mean, it's really a no risk situation for the buyer.

That said, yes those seem to be great prices for Emerald Guitars, but I agree with others that they aren't a well-known brand and CF guitars are definitely a niche market. And CF Nylon guitars are probably the niche of the niche!

I already have my allotment of Emerald Guitars or else I might bite.

Krivo pickups definitely don't suck in my X10 and probably not in any guitar.

They are great pickups IMO.

Last edited by dgaemc2; 10-20-2023 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Updated content
Old 10-20-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...Carbon fiber guitars in general are a bit of a niche market populated mostly by guitar geeks like us. You kinda already have to know about Emerald to realize what a deal those used prices are...if not for being here on this forum I would not even know about Emerald as a brand.
I agree with Earl as I usually do. If not for AGF I'd still be playing wooden guitars and probably have a lot more money. As for the OP's question, I haven't gone into a Guitar Center or checked their website in a very long time. However, if I was looking for a used Emerald, Guitar Center would probably be one of the last places I'd look, kind of like ordering a hamburger at a seafood restaurant...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-22-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:38 PM

Welp, there was about half an hour there where Guitar Center Scottsdale was open and I hadn't put in the order yet.
It's mine now.
Jealousy-inducing photos will be up in about a week.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-20-2023, 02:04 PM

Great, congrats!!
Old 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If not for AGF I'd still be playing wooden guitars and probably have a lot more money...
Ain't that the truth ! No difference if we are talking CF or wood, there are a lot of enablers here. And congrats Fertilizer, looking forward to a full report. How can you go wrong?
Old 10-21-2023, 10:08 AM

I, too, only learned about carbon fiber, much less Emerald specifically, after I joined the forum. And I understand the concern over never having seen or played one. So I found one in stock at Elderly, tried it out and went home with a CA Cargo (some 5 years or so ago). Now I have an Emerald as well (X7) but there is a bit of a leap of faith in this CF world still.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:30 AM

I bought my first carbon fiber guitar, a Rainsong CH-OM1000NS, from the Guitar Center website around 5 years ago. I bought the guitar used without a case. It was a leap of faith since I’d never played a carbon fiber guitar. I think guitar center offered a period where I could return the guitar if I wasn’t happy.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:03 PM

I've eagerly anticipated the arrival of many guitars over the last decade.

I don't think I've EVER been this impatient, this eager for a guitar to arrive.

ever
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber