The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2023, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Must be time for another update..............
I would like a new update too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-10-2023, 01:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Guys!

Will have a newsletter this weekend, and will make sure and share the info here too.

Since my last update, I have been pretty deep in the technicalities of updating my mould based on some of the optimisations i have found, and testing that. It has made an incredible difference to the reliability and scalability of the process.

I have several guitars at various stages. Unfortunately, when i'm painting and finishing, i'm not moulding. It's a more effective use of my time to prepare them in batches, and also a limitation of not having a very large work area.

One of the major updates is I have a new studio in a newly renovated area of my shop. I think i've said a few times before, I wasn't happy with the quality of the content I was able to achieve; so this will be a big step forward in regards to that. I'm a perfectionist, and I can't tell you how many times i have recorded content, or taken photos only to get to the final stages; self doubt creeps in and I scrap it.

Unfortunately, this time of year tends to throw me into the deep end, and at the moment I have limited help so please bear with me as I do my best to keep you updated whilst keeping all the plates spinning. This past week I have worked over 70 hours; but rest assured, I am still pushing forward with my instruments at every opportunity.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMG02509.jpg (44.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20220722152134_Reduced Size.jpg (140.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-26-2023, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi All!

Here's a quick video from last week's news letter!

In other news:

It's no secret that I haven't been posting as much as I'd have liked to recently, and there have been several reasons for that; but one of the main reasons is that I have been going through a pretty intense series of applications, Interviews and presentations. These were to test and review me, my work, my experience and my business.

I am thrilled to announce that I have been accredited by Engineers Ireland as a Chartered Engineer, one of the highest levels of accreditation for an Engineer. This is a significant milestone in my career, and I am excited to share this news with you.
I had to demonstrate that I meet the standards of education, training and experience set by the Engineering Council. As a chartered engineer, I can use the letters CEng after my name and enjoy various benefits and privileges, such as being able to sign off engineering projects, being recognised internationally, and having access to a network of fellow professionals.

Most importantly, I feel it adds credibility to both me and my business as I continue to innovate and redefine what a composite musical instrument can be!

Thank you to my customers, followers and clients for your support through this process. It’s made for a lot of very long days, but it's one more very big box ticked!

Thank you for being a part of my journey. I look forward to sharing more exciting news with you soon!

Simon McGavigan, CEng

P.S. To get updates first, make sure and subscribe to my newsletter. One email every week or two with what I've been working on.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Simon! That's quite an accomplishment, especially while getting a new business up and running.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:22 PM

Congratulations, Simon!
Best,
Barb
Old 11-27-2023, 07:35 PM

Congrats on the engineering credential, Simon. I am a registered professional engineer (PE) in three different states here in the US, so I get the considerable effort involved and the prestige that comes with the title. For those that don't know this is the equivalent of a lawyer passing the bar or an accountant getting their CPA license. When I have been an expert witness, my PE trumps a PhD on the other side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber