The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi harry b...

If you like your guitar the way it sounds, you don't need to change them. If you don't like the way your guitar sounds, pins won't likely fix it.

Asking if pins change sound is like asking if pick guards change sound. The answer is sometimes...and for lots of reasons.
  • Improper fitted pins sound better when changed for properly fitted ones
  • Brass, Titanium or Lead pins all add quite a bit more weight to the bridge than it was designed for, and will probably change some characteristic component of the sound; not always a good thing...but sometimes just fine
  • Swapping cheap plastic pins for organic, non-man made pins may not sound any better, but it will likely look better, and will certainly last better
  • Wood, metal, and bone pins won't melt if you forget and leave your guitar in the car on a sunny afternoon and heat it to extremes. Of course the bridge may pop off...

I love it.
Dan
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
A good ear is both a blessing and a curse........................come to think of it,a bad ear is also a blessing and a curse.........
I think I may have one of each . . . .

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Not always true! If you use pins from Bactrian Camel bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
"I put camel bone pins on my Tacoma Baritone"

I dunno, I've heard camel bone gives a distinct mid hump.
they will scoop your mids.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Many people are sure there will be no difference when bridge pins are changed. I would not be surprised if the results vary from one guitar to the next, maybe from one person to the next.

I've only changed pins on one of my guitars, my 1967 Martin D-35. This is a guitar I have owned and played for more than 4 decades so I know it very well. I bought a new set of pins for the D-35 and it ended up too bright, so I pulled out the old original plastic pins from 1967 and they mellowed the sound of the guitar considerably. The strings were not changed. In fact, I changed out 3 difference sets of pins after this as an experiment. Two sets were overly bright, the old plastic pins were more mellow and that's what's back in the guitar now.

I'm a design engineer with 43 years of experience, so I am used to being honest with myself about what is true and factual and what is not. Of course, maybe I am kidding myself here on the pins for my D-35.

- Glenn
Hey Glenn:

Care to share which pins seemed to add brightness...since the OP may be looking for that effect (as I have with my own HD28)...oh, and to save us the trouble of paging through the hundreds of prior threads on the subject, of course

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit59 View Post
For a brighter sound use Taylor pins. You'll find them attached to a Taylor guitar.
Now that's funny

Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I put camel bone pins on my Tacoma Baritone. Got better note to note separation and clarity, primarily on lower strings. A bit more sustain too. Did not appreciably change tone or volume. In the case of the baritone, definitely worthwhile but not a profound difference.
I'll bet your Tacoma can go a long way without humidification ....an extra added bonus....

But seriously ....I changed out the plastic pins on my Martin 00-18V for bone pins and I can hear a slight improvement in sustain and seperation. An inexpensive and worthwhile upgrade.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Hey, Samson, I just got a text from your significant other Delilah. She told me to tell you:

1.) Turn your amp down;

and

2.) You're due for a haircut.

Wade Hampton "I Can Hear Those Clippers Hummin'...." Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
"I put camel bone pins on my Tacoma Baritone"

I dunno, I've heard camel bone gives a distinct mid hump.
You guys are in good form tonight

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
I got some pins made from the jawbone of a donkey and when I hit the first chord I slew 40 Philistines.
This HAS to be the best response! I laughed out loud when I read this one!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
Hey Glenn:

Care to share which pins seemed to add brightness...since the OP may be looking for that effect (as I have with my own HD28)...oh, and to save us the trouble of paging through the hundreds of prior threads on the subject, of course
Hi Scott,

I tried a set of Tusq pins and I tried a set of Martin replacement plastic pins from Elderly. Both sounded about the same -- bright. And bright was not what I wanted on my D-35, because it's already too bright. The only ones that sounded different, less bright, were the original Martin pins from way back in 1967. They were pretty deformed from years of use but they still worked. My wife was with me in the kitchen when I was experimenting and her reaction to the changes in sound were right in line with mine.

I did not have the opportunity to try any donkey bone pins. Who knows?

- Glenn
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
I got some pins made from the jawbone of a donkey and when I hit the first chord I slew 40 Philistines.
This really made me laugh. :
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 AM

From the very first time that I changed the bridge pins on a saddle there was a noticeable difference in tone. Changing pins can affect the total mass of the bridge and as a result, the tone also - that's an undeniable fact of guitar construction, the mass etc of the bridge. Not to mention the effects of the type of the material upon other aspects eg resonant frequency, peaks, troughs etc.

Conversely I have found that changing the nut makes no real audible difference. After all, why would it, given that it only affects open strings anyway. And again, changing the saddle to another material - unless it was really crap to start off with - has made little or no difference. Although in theory it could (as per bridge pins), I have always found that it does not have any effect worth bothering/worrying about.

I must admit, it makes me laugh how the opinion of people who make money out these things is often a big sway in people's views on here. Like, "so-and-so says this.." (so it's gotta be true, yer). You could argue that because it's their business they know what they're talking about, equally you could argue that they have a vested interest in selling the items they sell (naturally!).

Not too long ago a guy posted sound plots emanating from a guitar with different bridge pins fitted. The plots were different depending on the pin type used. So, case objectively proven.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Wow, how did you find those? Is there a search function on this site?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
Wow, how did you find those? Is there a search function on this site?
There are a hundred more. Look near the top of this page and two thirds to the right ("Search") - I suggest an advanced search, titles only. There is also a Google search box at the bottom of the page.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM

yes they can but it is not extremely dramatic. I bought a set of ebony pins for my GS mini and it mellowed even the wound strings a bit too much for my taste. lost some pop. so I have the stock plastic pins in the wound strings and the ebony in the b and E and it balances better now. the unwound are not as bright/brittle sounding.

I did try bone pins once on a Taylor 814ce and went back to the stock ebony as the bone gave it a more artificial type tone where the ebony( same material as bridge) sounded more woody.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Sure the bridge pins make a difference. I won't say it's fact that there is a sonic difference, but many believe they can hear a difference. It doesn't matter if it's real or perceived, it's what makes you happy. I think on my D-12-20 the change from plastic pins to bone/abalone dot pins added a little clarity and sustain, maybe not. What is important is how much more I liked how they looked. Pins are kind of like guitar jewelry, it's fun to dress them up a bit. Make-up and high heels is going too far in my opinion but I'm sure there are those that have tried it. Here is my 00-28 with mammoth ivory/ black pearl dot pins. Don't know if it changed the sound, but they made a difference to me.

1966 D-12-20

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion