The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

The guy in the demo wrote the strings are old, that would go a long way why they dont have the expected response. Played again with new strings and I would bet opinions would be different.

But personally I love the thuddy tone, would make an oustanding strummer this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
this guitar sounds amazing as does your playing and I am not a Gibson man.......the bass response in this guitar is epic unlike most Gibsons which for me usually sound thuddy and muddy ...........

like this Gibson............the bass response is thuddy and muddy..........
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlander View Post
its almost like you say what i'm thinking, i absolutely understand the term rubber like instead of woody, in fact, i also call it rubber like..
its such a shame that i'm forced to get mine "blind" from the web, because i don't have access to more then just one j-45 standard here.
i wish i had your privileges to try the TV and even a variety of TV's and standards that i could choose from.. i surly am concerned about getting this guitar from the net..
Buying guitars over the internet is not my preference. If you have no other choice, then I'd recommend buying from a reputable reseller that features the most reasonable return policy.

Ironically, I purchased my J-45 over the internet (it's the only guitar I currently own that I purchased this way). In my case, I bought from a dealer that I was very familiar with (Cotten Music in Nashville) and trusted, and who had a great return policy. Before I decided to go for it, I received a thorough description of the guitar over the phone and they played it for me to listen to. And while you can't tell much about a guitar's tone over the phone, I could tell enough that it was worth taking a shot. I was not disappointed once the guitar arrived. The rest is history.

I've since encountered other Gibsons that I would consider buying — they're out there. I'm just really particular about what I like and don't find all that many guitars that truly grab my attention. Which is a good thing because I really don't need any more.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Buying guitars over the internet is not my preference. If you have no other choice, then I'd recommend buying from a reputable reseller that features the most reasonable return policy.

Ironically, I purchased my J-45 over the internet (it's the only guitar I currently own that I purchased this way). In my case, I bought from a dealer that I was very familiar with (Cotten Music in Nashville) and trusted, and who had a great return policy. Before I decided to go for it, I received a thorough description of the guitar over the phone and they played it for me to listen to. And while you can't tell much about a guitar's tone over the phone, I could tell enough that it was worth taking a shot. I was not disappointed once the guitar arrived. The rest is history.

I've since encountered other Gibsons that I would consider buying — they're out there. I'm just really particular about what I like and don't find all that many guitars that truly grab my attention. Which is a good thing because I really don't need any more.
man.. good for you! i'm also very picky about my tone, i have it in my head and i know its one of those gibson j-45s, i wish i had a free ticket to the us!!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
this guitar sounds amazing as does your playing and I am not a Gibson man.......the bass response in this guitar is epic unlike most Gibsons which for me usually sound thuddy and muddy ...........
Thanks — like I said, I played a lot of them before I found one that had the tone I was looking for.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
The guy in the demo wrote the strings are old, that would go a long way why they dont have the expected response. Played again with new strings and I would bet opinions would be different.

But personally I love the thuddy tone, would make an oustanding strummer this model.
A couple of thoughts (my thoughts only of course):

A lively guitar that exhibits articulate low end should still have a good leading edge on the notes even with old strings. That's the character of the guitar, versus the character of the strings.

Your note about how the guitar will be used is an important one, my demands of a guitar would probably be a bit different if I were a strummer, and this is something that is not as discussed as often around here. I don't sing, I simply fingerpick so the guitar in effect is "my voice". Contrast this with someone wanting to accompany their vocals with the guitar and those are two totally different needs. Not to mention that we all like different things to begin with.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlander View Post
i'm also very picky about my tone, i have it in my head and i know its one of those gibson j-45s
Yep, this was the same boat I was in. Prior to finding my own, I had heard examples whose tone almost haunted me. I wasn't just in search of a Gibson or a J-45 in particular, but specifically that tone that I had heard at times in the past.

Hope you find one that works for you. Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Yep, this was the same boat I was in. Prior to finding my own, I had heard examples whose tone almost haunted me. I wasn't just in search of a Gibson or a J-45 in particular, but specifically that tone that I had heard at times in the past.

Hope you find one that works for you. Best of luck!
Thank you! i'll need that luck..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion