The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Glenn, I don't know what rock I've been hiding under, but saw this thread and crawled out to listen. Loved it! Also really enjoying the other songs on your YT channel, a real pleasure to watch and listen to. Thanks so much for sharing! Really talented!!

Is there any way you can detail your recording setup? I'd love to set up something similar.

Thanks!
Hi Mike,

Well, first, thank you so much for listening and commenting! And thank you for checking out my YouTube channel! And thank you for your kind words! How gratifying to hear from you!

Regarding my recording setup, I have copied a response from one of my other Show & Tell threads just below. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting! I appreciate the feedback very much!

- Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
... I record videos in my studio, which is a good sized finished and heated room over our garage. I use two Canon video cameras, set for HD recording. I record the audio separately in Steinberg Cubase in my computer. I use a hand clap once the cameras and audio recording has started to synch both audio and video later.

I use 3 microphones. The guitar has two stereo (left-right panned) Rode NT5 small diaphragm condenser mics. I changed out both capsules on these mics to omni-directional capsules which have no proximity effect and which to my ears sound better than the original cardioid capsules. For my voice I use an AudioTechnica AT4050 dual-diaphragm condenser mic. For vocals I use the cardioid pattern; for instrumentals I set the switch to omni pattern to pick up room ambient sound. All mics use fairly old outboard Aphex 107 Tube Essence preamps and those outputs go to my computer interface which is an 8-channel Presonus unit.

I mix the 3 mics down in the computer to Cubase to a stereo wave file at 48khz for video. I edit that file to cut it off right at the beginning of the hand clap. I then transfer the 2 video files to the computer. I then use Adobe Premier Elements for the video programming. I dump each video file into the program on a separate pair of video/audio tracks and clip off the signal at the beginning of the hand clap to the nearest video frame. I then do the fades from one camera to another and the various pans in Adobe Premier Elements. I delete the audio files from the video recordings once I have all tracks synched up because they sound bad compared to the good mics going to Cubase.

If a person had a portable digital recorder with XLR inputs, you could simply dump that wave file into the video editing program and chop off the audio signal at the hand clap just as is done with the video files. So a person does not need to use a computer recording system; I just happen to be set up with one and I am used to using it. I did exactly this (that is, used a portable digital recorder and two outboard mics) recently to video record my daughter singing some Handel at a rehearsal with a church organ and it came out very good.

I hope this all makes sense. Any question, PM me and I will try to help further.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 05-27-2017, 06:47 AM

Glenn,

This is a wonderful song and performance by you.

I've been ill for past month and hadn't logged in much or even picked up my guitar.

Woke up this morning feeling better... Changed the strings on my J45 and found your song.

Thank you - Brother!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice job Glenn. I'm always amazed at the quality of your videos!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Glenn,

This is a wonderful song and performance by you.

I've been ill for past month and hadn't logged in much or even picked up my guitar.

Woke up this morning feeling better... Changed the strings on my J45 and found your song.

Thank you - Brother!
Hi Jake,

I'm sorry to read that you have been sick for the last month! Man, that's unfortunate! Glad to know you are doing better. A month??!! That's a long time to be sick!

I appreciate your listening and your comments and am particularly glad it made you feel a little better.

Take care!

- Glenn
Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice job Glenn. I'm always amazed at the quality of your videos!
Thank you Barry!

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. And thanks for the kind words about the recording quality! It's something I have worked at for as long as I've been playing the guitar -- over 50 years.

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Glenn, sorry to be a few days in replying, but thanks very much for the great detail on the recording setup. I'm going to try to process all of the info and see what I can set up. I want to record in similar fashion, video and audio, and really want it to be a few steps up from a smartphone recording. Not sure I can elevate to your level, but will see what I can swing.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your talent! Do you have a recording of Please Come to Boston? I think you'd just kill that one!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Glenn, sorry to be a few days in replying, but thanks very much for the great detail on the recording setup. I'm going to try to process all of the info and see what I can set up. I want to record in similar fashion, video and audio, and really want it to be a few steps up from a smartphone recording. Not sure I can elevate to your level, but will see what I can swing.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your talent! Do you have a recording of Please Come to Boston? I think you'd just kill that one!
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Again, on the recording setup, please PM me if you have questions.

Regarding songs, I have always loved Dave Loggins' "Please Come to Boston." He had such a great voice! I have never learned to play that song. But what a great idea. Let me look into that song and see what I can do.

Thanks so much for the song idea!

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

In the words of the immortal Steve Martin, "This guy's good!!!" Another great performance, Glenn....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Wow Glenn, very well done. Your guitar sounds great capo'd up high. No "tinkle" at all. Sweet.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
In the words of the immortal Steve Martin, "This guy's good!!!" Another great performance, Glenn....
Thank you so much for listening and commenting, Randy! How nice to know you are listening; thank you very much for the kind words!

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Wow Glenn, very well done. Your guitar sounds great capo'd up high. No "tinkle" at all. Sweet.
Thank you Paul! It's so very good to know that you are listening, too!

And thanks for the comments on my old D-35. It does sound good up there on capo 8 -- which really seems like a ridiculous place to play a song, but for whatever reason, it works.

You know what else is also cool about that D-35 is that the guitar's intonation way up there is still right on the money. That true pitch up there also helps the guitar sound good.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Paul!

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2017, 01:00 PM

Glenn. If i can play 1/4 as good as u someday I'll be happy. Awesome job on one of my favorite songs.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
Glenn. If i can play 1/4 as good as u someday I'll be happy. Awesome job on one of my favorite songs.
Thank you GJD! I'm so glad you like this song and also my version of it.

And I do hope you will be able to play a song like this well some day. Keep working at it; so much of a person's capability comes from repeat effort and constant self-appraisal of our efforts.

You can do it! If you'd ever like my advice on something, please PM me here on the forum!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Brilliant!!!

Just puts a pit in my gut when I hear that tune.....

Thanks Glenn

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 AM
*mahoganut*

Very nicely done, Glenn! Hope to hear it in person one of these years...

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell