The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Veeeeery interesting. I never even noticed the "thumps" before, but now I do... should be easy to fix with Felix.

I actually like the 3rd pass the best. I see what you mean about the magnetic sound of the Angel, but I like that a bit. And a little verb goes a long way. Thanks for the tip about 700 Hz. I've always struggled to figure out where is the best place to cut the K&K is, I've done anywhere from 400-1k2. Any thoughts on Q?

It seems that software is a big deal... I used Presonus Studio One Artist that came with the interface, and also have Garage Band. Reverb has a deal now that I could get Reason Essentials 9.5 for an extra $10 if I purchase an AKG P170 mic. Any thoughts on those 3? I haven't spent a ton of time with Studio One, but it isn't terribly intuitive.

So it seems that with recording, you want to doing minimal processing during recording to give you maximum flexibility post-recording. Right? So add reverb in the software, not during recording. Do basic (minimal) EQ during recording and then more EQ post-recording. What about compression? I love my Boss CP-1X, it really does something special I think. But would compressing it work better post-recording or not?

Thanks!
That 3rd pass, with each pickup panned tends to sound the most dramatic. Depending on the different responses of the pickups, the sound can bounce between speakers, which is kind of cool, but also not very natural :-) So you might get tired of it later. I reduced that effect by not panning 100% each way.

I don't know anything about any of those DAWs, tho GarageBand should be more than sufficient for simple recording, and I've read people say good things about Studio One. For what you're doing, anything should be fine. If the system takes VST or AU plugins (GB does, if I recall), you can add all kinds of extras - better reverbs for example, etc, later.

Yes, ideally, you get a good, but unprocessed sound going in. Anything you do before recording can't really be undone. If you can EQ with Felix to sound better, that should be fine. Just as when recording with a mic, you try to get the best sound you can with mic placement, room acoustics, etc. But adding effects, reverb, fine-tuning the EQ is all best left for when you can really listen without the distraction of playing (or hearing your guitar acoustically). I wouldn't add compression during tracking - it can't be undone. Just set your levels to be sure you're not overdriving - with digital recording, there's no need to have hot levels. There could be exceptions, when an effect is part of your sound, which happens more with electric guitars, but generally, for acoustic, if you capture a nice simple clean sound, then you can do anything else later. You could go crazy with effects, of course, but most acoustic tracks these days are pretty simple and effects are minimal. Some well-known players don't even use reverb on their recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD