The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Default Guitar hard to play

Hi guys
I recently bought a new Seagull s6 after seen a ton of recommendations on it.
Anyhow, played it in GC, like the sound, like the girth of the neck (I have huge hands), but the strings weren't so easy to fret.
I assumed that after sending it to setup and changing strings it will feel better but its still takes a lot of effort to play.
I only realized my guitar is super hard to play when I went to a different GC to buy some strings, and I played some low end guilds martins and corts, and most of them felt amazingly easier to play than mine even with super high action.
I am playing with 0.12 but I don't think that means I need to kill my fingers to make a sound.
Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 AM

I use elixer 11's on all my acoustic guitars. Before I swore by d'addario 11's until I tried a set of elixers and immediately loved the tone and feel. So much easier to play. You could try changing the strings on yours. Might make a difference.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Can you slip a 0.5mm pick or a 0.020" feeler gage between the 1st fret and the string. Is there a gap? If so - take it to a luthier and tell him that the 1st fret action is too high.

Now... I have to say this out loud... Be aware that lowering the action can initially open a can of worms that results in a bunch of additional work you will have to pay for... The high action masks all this stuff... Often that's why the cheap/free "setup" doesn't lower the action...

An example.... Expect fret buzz because the frets arent particularly level. This will require a fret level and crown to resolve.. That's often another $150 or so..
Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 AM

Unless the guitar has some defect that prevents it, by definition, it is not setup properly for you.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Sounds like the strings are probably high. The guitar needs setup.

You could have high nut, high bridge, or too much relief (bend) in the neck. Better let someone with experience take a look.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM

I would take it back or to another QUALIFIED person and have it set up again. Something's not right. If you aren't experiencing the same with all guitar's you play, then the Seagull should be able to play as easily as anything else you play.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Truckjohn above has hit the nail on the head. A good tech should be able to look at the guitar and give a good idea of the end result after setting nut and saddle height after adjusting the neck. If the frets aren't levelled that well fret buzz will raise it's head....but a little fret buzz is acceptable in my book (have a listen to Tommy Emmanuel play his Matons, always hear fret buzz from him as he likes the neck nice and straight as it improves the feel) Be aware, even extremely small adjustments can make a big difference to how the guitar feels, it's why a lot of techs don't quite get things right as they don't fine tune things quite to the level of detail that's required. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Unless the guitar has some defect that prevents it, by definition, it is not setup properly for you.
+1. the only times i've had this experience are: 1) poor setup (for me) and/or 2) defect, e.g. bridge lift.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Sounds like the strings are probably high. The guitar needs setup.

The action is pretty low IMO, the strings buzz a little bit.
Again.. the feel, the guitar is not soft like other ones, especally hard to play first frets near nut.

You could have high nut, high bridge, or too much relief (bend) in the neck. Better let someone with experience take a look.
There could be a chance the nut is high but action is low and not easy to play all over the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I would take it back or to another QUALIFIED person and have it set up again. Something's not right. If you aren't experiencing the same with all guitar's you play, then the Seagull should be able to play as easily as anything else you play.
My question again, are some guitar softer than others.
Some feel soft like my strat, and some stiff as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitofingers View Post
Truckjohn above has hit the nail on the head. A good tech should be able to look at the guitar and give a good idea of the end result after setting nut and saddle height after adjusting the neck. If the frets aren't levelled that well fret buzz will raise it's head....but a little fret buzz is acceptable in my book (have a listen to Tommy Emmanuel play his Matons, always hear fret buzz from him as he likes the neck nice and straight as it improves the feel) Be aware, even extremely small adjustments can make a big difference to how the guitar feels, it's why a lot of techs don't quite get things right as they don't fine tune things quite to the level of detail that's required. Good luck!

Interesting point, then again I played guitars with super high action but the overall feel was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
+1. the only times i've had this experience are: 1) poor setup (for me) and/or 2) defect, e.g. bridge lift.
bridge lift?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koren View Post
My question again, are some guitar softer than others.
Some feel soft like my strat, and some stiff as hell.
There are a number of factors that contribute to playability. String height at nut and saddle, straightness of neck, scale (string) length, string gage and string composition, neck shape, fret height... All other things being equal, a shorter scale length will have less tension than a longer one and can feel less stiff to play.

Take it to a skilled repair person and he or she will likely be able to get it to play as easily as other guitars you've played.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koren View Post

bridge lift?
bridge coming up off the soundboard.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Try checking your set-up - all you need is a capo and 6" rule. If you don't feel confident making the changes, then you should ask someone who does, but I think it's a good thing to learn how to check at least.

There's a bunch of sites which take you through this: here's one I found (no affiliation)

With all the usual caveats, if open chords in the first position are tough to fret, it's likely the nut slots are too high. You can check this by putting a capo on the first fret and playing your open chords up one fret (you can down tune half a step if you'd like to fully replicate the string tension). If chords play easy like this, then your nut needs attention.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM

The other thing that has to be said...

Don't compare the setup and feel of an electric guitar to an acoustic. Electric guitars are often setup with super low actions and super thin, slinky strings... You barely touch them to make them go - the amp and pedals do the heavy lifting....

Acoustic guitars on the other hand rely on you to put the power into them.... They need higher action and stiffer strings so you can hear them... That all results in a huch harder feel than an electric..

When you compare your seagull to a martin or taylor - most likely you are feeling the setup as well as the neck profile and fretboard radius... The neck feel has a huge effect on how a guitar feels in your hands...
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
The other thing that has to be said...

Don't compare the setup and feel of an electric guitar to an acoustic. Electric guitars are often setup with super low actions and super thin, slinky strings... You barely touch them to make them go - the amp and pedals do the heavy lifting....

Acoustic guitars on the other hand rely on you to put the power into them.... They need higher action and stiffer strings so you can hear them... That all results in a huch harder feel than an electric..

When you compare your seagull to a martin or taylor - most likely you are feeling the setup as well as the neck profile and fretboard radius... The neck feel has a huge effect on how a guitar feels in your hands...
Well Said.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Ok thank you very much guys I apreciate it.
I will send it to a pro tech to evaluate it.
Another point I forgot to mention - The angel of the strings coming out the bridge is almost flat like maybe 5-10* max... I think it needs to be lifted right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair