The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 AM

Default quality verses quality

well, went to GC and took my washburn dread to see about a trade in on seagull entourage, played the seagull and liked it, seemed to sound better with my noted hearing loss, bad news was the trade in on mine stunk and $300 more then i planned, but almost did it for better 'quality' turned out this guy was there and played guitar in shows, i asked him and played both guitars- gawd- my washburn sounded like it cost $4000!! i left and kept the washburn, i guess 'quality' has another meaning,---player ability
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 AM

Default quality

Did he play the Seagull as well?

There is a difference between what you hear as a player and what you hear as audience. Markedly so in some guitars.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM

That is great a different player could make your guitar sing but what guitar suits YOU better?

I had a solid wood Washburn for 18 years, beautiful guitar but finally admitted to myself the neck and sound was not what I was after. I felt like I am better off for letting it go. YMMV.

But don't get taken in a trade, if it is a nice guitar, private sale might get you a little more money. Lots of Seagulls, Normans and S&Ps out there.

Last edited by 3 chord; 02-06-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Trade in at GC

Yes, GC wants to make a killing on both ends so they'll low ball you on your trade in then try to maximize the other end of the transaction as well. They're there to make money, but it doesn't help someone in your position.

It's always interesting to hear your guitar from put front, isn't it?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:17 AM

yea, it was interesting, hearing my guitar being played from a pro- totally different sound- think ill string change and keep practicing for now, thing is, the used seagull was $399 plus tax ($425) i can get a new one shipped for $475 plus a free gigbag- for the $50 extra over GC its foolish to buy it after thinking about it at GC
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Guest316

Oh yeah, hearing a guitar from the front is definitely an eye-opener. Great story, sounds like your Washburn is a winner!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion