The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Default How long do you busk for?

On average when you go busking how long do you spend playing altogether and how many songs do you get through? There's a great player Andrew Gorny who spends alot of time busking at regular spots as well as playing gigs at venues around his state and the US, very committed to the music and a great player! If you type 'Andrew Gorny Busking' into youtube there's a few vids of him at his usual spot in down town Portland Anyone here that goes busking regularly like Gorny?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

So far my busking has been limited to Christmas carols in late November and most of December. I busked 3 times this season and raised $150 for our local food bank. Cold but lots of fun. I was able to play for 2 hours before the cold broke me.

I'm aiming to do some busking this Spring and Summer, so I'm building a repertoire of songs.

For me busking is like practice on steroids, so I just play through most of my songs. Right now I have about 70 Christmas carols. There is really no need for that many songs though - 10 to 15 would probably be more than enough and just keep repeating the set list.

Steve
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 AM

i recently ventured into the realm of busking and have been about half a dozen times so far in the last few weeks and it's been fun... it's a bit more of a challenge than I expected remembering all the lyrics accurately and singing for long periods of time without alot of breaks... I usually busk for 2-3 hours and have about 15 songs I put on a rotation... so far it's been pretty rewarding getting some $ while doing something I love, especially when I can't find a job

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
-CS Lewis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion