The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your kind words and your support here.

Regarding the "library of great performances to create a legacy and family heirloom," I have actually been thinking about that a lot. My children are grown up and have young kids and so they are very busy. I have provided them a link to my YouTube channel, but I think only one 11-year-old grandson has been to the site, and he was simply being nice to me. I think right now, everyone is so busy in their lives that they just don't have time. I certainly understand this.

But the great thing about recordings is that they are there for later. As you have noted, this group of videos as well as many audio recordings I have made over the last 50 years or so will provide a little bit of an audio and now a video record of what my music was like for someone in the future who might be interested. You never know.

About 25 years ago my wife and I took the time to record our family doing about a dozen traditional Christmas carol-like songs. At the time, our young kids took part and put up with the inconvenience of working in the studio with my wife and I. But I'm sure they would have rather been doing something else at the time. However, today, all three of our kids and their extended families pull out that CD every Christmas and that is the main music they listen to through the season. So that music has turned out to matter to all of us 25 years later. So there's a good example of a legacy.

- Glenn

I've dabbled in recording and it's tough to do it all on your own. I still hope to assemble the gear and space to do as you are. I know family may not seem to appreciate it now, but they will...unfortunately, even if after we are gone. I'm feeling this right now. My Mom passed away two months ago. She was an avid sewer, knitter and most of all, crocheter. So many family and friends have some of her pieces, including all of our Christmas stockings that hang from the old barn beam mantle that adorns our large fieldstone fireplace. I've always appreciated her work, mostly the many knitted wool socks she made for me. Now that she's gone, her legacy remains in so many homes. That is not lost on me. My craft/art is my songs, especially my originals. Again, I hope to achieve the range and quality of work you are...here's to hoping those left behind will enjoy our work for many years to come!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

I've dabbled in recording and it's tough to do it all on your own. I still hope to assemble the gear and space to do as you are. I know family may not seem to appreciate it now, but they will...unfortunately, even if after we are gone. I'm feeling this right now. My Mom passed away two months ago. She was an avid sewer, knitter and most of all, crocheter. So many family and friends have some of her pieces, including all of our Christmas stockings that hang from the old barn beam mantle that adorns our large fieldstone fireplace. I've always appreciated her work, mostly the many knitted wool socks she made for me. Now that she's gone, her legacy remains in so many homes. That is not lost on me. My craft/art is my songs, especially my originals. Again, I hope to achieve the range and quality of work you are...here's to hoping those left behind will enjoy our work for many years to come!
Thank you again for your thoughts, Tom.

Interesting comments about your Mom, her sewing, knitting, and crochet work. My wife's mother was like that, and left behind many, many handmade items that were knitted or crocheted. I have many vests, ear bands, gloves, and my wife, too, has many, many items. And our children have all this stuff, too.

I take walks daily with my wife on the country roads around here, and I routinely pull out of my jacket pocket a crocheted ear band which I give to my wife, whose ears are always more sensitive to the cold than mine. We both know this was her mother's gift.

Love lives on...

- Glenn
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM
G625 mistral-k

Glenn,

Wow! What a beautiful combination of voice and guitar playing. I really enjoyed it. Your voice is perfect for Gordon Lightfoot covers and the guitar sounds fantastic. You really know how to match your guitars to each of your covers.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Glenn,

Wow! What a beautiful combination of voice and guitar playing. I really enjoyed it. Your voice is perfect for Gordon Lightfoot covers and the guitar sounds fantastic. You really know how to match your guitars to each of your covers.
Thank you so much, BB! I really appreciate your very kind words!

Gordon Lightfoot has written so many songs that a person is bound to find some that fit well. Also, his vocal range, similar to James Taylor's, fits my vocal range well. And in the end, I find that I like a lot of GL's music -- I am drawn to much of it. I started learning Lightfoot's music all the way back to when I heard Peter, Paul & Mary do "Early Morning Rain," when I had not yet even heard a recording of Gordon Lightfoot's voice. I was 17 years old when I first heard P,P&M do "Early Morning Rain," and I had only been playing guitar for a year.

So, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I kind of feel as if Gordon Lightfoot is an older musical big brother. I learned to play by emulating Paul Simon's music. But I really learned to sing when I started learning Gordon Lightfoot songs.

Thanks again for your kind words BB!

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2017, 07:06 AM
G625 mistral-k

Glenn,

Your early musical instincts have served you well! I look forward to more postings here!

eric
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM

You are incredible. Thanks for that. Wish you lived in Arizona and have lessons. LOLs.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
You are incredible. Thanks for that. Wish you lived in Arizona and have lessons. LOLs.
Thank you Jimmy! You provided my first belly laugh for the day! I appreciate the kind words! And thank you for listening!

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Great song choice, lovely playing and superb recording... love your guitar.

Jonny
Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
Great song choice, lovely playing and superb recording... love your guitar.

Jonny
Thanks so much for listening and commenting, Jonny!

I do agree, the Sheppard is a beautiful guitar -- Thank You!

- Glenn
Old 05-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Glenn, I'm late to the show but at least I caught your encore . Another great performance with fantastic vocals - I could hear a little bit of Gordon in your voice.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Glenn, I'm late to the show but at least I caught your encore . Another great performance with fantastic vocals - I could hear a little bit of Gordon in your voice.
Thank you so much for listening and for the kind and supportive words. And yes, I suppose a person is bound to emulate a little of GL's terrific singing voice.

Thanks so much, Dru!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell