The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Sequential Playback in Audacity

I've been using Audacity 2.1.3 to record myself at home on my PC just for my own enjoyment and help with self-improvement. I've gotten some decent recordings using a condenser mic sitting here at my computer. I haven't been using it for too long, but I generally like it as it seems to have everything I would need or want. However, is there a way to get the program to sequentially play back my tracks automatically without me having to select each one after the previous one has finished? I'm not seeing anything in the menus that would help me with this.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question--but if you have a multitrack recording in Audacity of yourself you should be able to mix it down to a stereo file and save it as a .WAV file (fuller fidelity) or an .MP3 file (smaller size, not full-fidelity). The resulting files would then be playable in any application that plays music, such iTunes, Windows Media Player, Groove Music etc.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM

If I understand correctly, you're recording in Audacity and then using Audacity to play your recordings back.

If you want to listen to multiple recordings in sequence (as on a CD), then export your individual Audacity tracks to WAV or MP3 files, and group the sound files in a folder.

Then you can use the majority of media players to set up a 'playlist' of your files, so they roll through automatically.

The free, open-source VLC Media Player is particularly good at doing this for audio files.

Kym
Old 05-21-2017, 07:18 PM

Frank and Kym,

Thank you for your responses. They were what I had concluded as well. Thanks.

Don
Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 PM

Import your tracks into a new file, placing them in the sequence you with for them to play in.

Audacity works like any other audio editor, so that's the only way to sequentially play your tracks.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
I've been using Audacity 2.1.3 to record myself at home on my PC just for my own enjoyment and help with self-improvement. I've gotten some decent recordings using a condenser mic sitting here at my computer. I haven't been using it for too long, but I generally like it as it seems to have everything I would need or want. However, is there a way to get the program to sequentially play back my tracks automatically without me having to select each one after the previous one has finished? I'm not seeing anything in the menus that would help me with this.
If I am understanding correctly and you don't particularly want to do the export and move to a different playback application, as some have suggested (which certainly works)
Then also (to expand a bit on on Rudy4's post)
The only way (that I know of ) to get tracks to automatically play within the DAW itself , is to place them all horizontally on the same track one after other in the sequence you want.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Rudy and Kev,

Thank you. I got it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
audacity