The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM

Default Stool, chair or...????

I have transitioned to playing sitting down almost all the time. (rock and roll will never dieeeee...<hack><COUGH><ARRGGGGGGH...>)

I usually sit on an office chair that you can raise or lower and has no arms. I'm not all that crazy about it. I tend to cross my legs to get the right positioning - which is not good.

Playing at my bud's, he has a classic barstool - metal legs padded top and the bar where you can rest your foot. Like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--FEN0990205

I liked it. Before I buy something like this - is there something people like better?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM

SoundSeat

www.soundseat.com
Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 PM

The ergonomists are gonna shoot me, but I'll come out and say it. The couch is the best friend I've had. I practice the reverse slouch technique, the antithesis of the programmers slouch (I actually am a programmer). I have found that a relaxed position (laying back) puts less stress on all parts of my body. I know there will be many physical therapists that will disagree with my lazy posture playing, but it really has worked quite well now for over 6 years. To keep the guitar in the correct position, I play with a strap, to insure the guitar is at the correct level for proper hand positions, your mileage and experience may vary based on your physical attributes, I'm 6'4" and about 200 pounds,

H
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM

I like a tall bar/guitar stool. Play on what feels right to you. You want to be elongated over scrunched up on a couch or chair if you're singing too. But again, go with what works for you.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Default seat choice

I prefer the floor to a couch. That is, I did when I could get on the floor and cross my legs. Nowadays, a simple folding chair works fine unless I am performing. Then, I want a high chair, like a bar stool. For a while, I used those el cheapo black folding Walmart stools. They work well, fold easily and talk up little space in the car. However, thie second one folded up on me (while I was seated) Friday night and I have sworn off them.

Saturday was devoted to searching the internet for a better seat, one that was high, portable, not too expensive and not too heavy. Sound Seat is apparently out of business, so I didn't "look" at one of those. I did find ones by OnStage (foot rest is not adjustable), Tour Tough (hard to find, but the best buy of the lot), Odyssey, Mey America (expensive!!!), K&M (also expensive, but with one exclamation point), ProX, and Quik Lok.

None were as light as I wanted and none were perfect for me. So, today, I started building one, using oak salvaged from an old kicker wagon. It should be done by the weekend and I have high hopes for it. But then I had the same hopes for the other two I built a couple of years earlier (very different designs). If you see me with a brand name seat, you'll know the third attempt was no more successful than the first two.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:37 PM

I want a guitar playing chair,bu not for 340.00. I bought a folding stool to put my foot on it helps a lot.

"In The Wind"
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Cool Stool, chair or something else???

I have a wooden chair (with a padded seat) at my dining room table that works well. Or, one can use a strap and stand while playing. I do both, the chair with a foot stool for my classical style guitars.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

It's a really personal preference. The best I've found is a drummers stool. Short and stable. Works well with a small guitarists foot stool.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Hmmm...you guys got me thinking (danger! danger!)

Maybe it isn't the chair - maybe I need a footstool. I'll experiment around with some phonebooks or something tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Guest 728

I sit on my cajon, so I can kick it with my heel when I want a little backing beat.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM

I like my office chair with no arms. It supports my back and is very comfortable. Cheap too, only $40 bucks. It swivels back and forth, which makes it very comfortable plus I can move around and is great for recording because it is quiet.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use an office chair with arms. I use a footstool for my left foot and I sit forward on the chair so the guitar doesn't hit the arms of the chair. I also use a folding chair sometimes. I play the least on the couch.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 PM

At church I took a 4 legged bar padded bar stool and my home made foot stool... that works perfect for being on stage.... here at home in the studio I bought an office chair that I could remove the arms from without damaging the chair and that is my playing chair as well as office chair...

I spend may 10hr + days in that chair.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Stool, chair or...????

Soundseat is not out of business- it's alive and well! I bought one 3 weeks ago and love it (based on all the great reviews here on AGF)!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 PM

I've used couch, office chair without arms, bar stool, soundseat, and pick'n glider.

The couch hurts my knees if I sit upright and I'm not comfy leaning (slouching) back.

Office chair works but it doesn't put me in the right posture for guitar.

Bar stool works better than above but I notice the lack of back support after a bit.

My Soundseat is AWESOME. It blends the best of the bar stool and foot rest, makes posture a non-issue due to the saddle design, and offers back support and has an optional foot pad that makes it the complete deal. It is immensely well made and comfortable. Cannot recommend highly enough. I was fortunate to make JR's acquaintance just before his passing and he was so enthusiastic about the quality, innovation, and customer service related to these wonderful stools. I believe that tradition remains today.

Pick'n glider is very usable, comfortable, and "laid back." I don't use it as much as the Soundseat but I also wouldn't get rid of it. On spectacularly beautiful mornings, I'll haul it out on the deck and play to the birds (and they tolerate it!) in comfort with gentle rocking. It's a fun chair.

Bottom line is you have to find what works for you and I can offer that Soundseat and Pick'n glider both are good products and what I use primarily. I'm glad I have both and wouldn't part with either.

Best of luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion