The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 AM

Default Torrified backs?

Now that all the big makers have jumped on the torrified bandwagon, I wonder how long it will be before one of them starts to use this process on the guitar backs also? I think this would really help with opening up the sound of a guitar a lot more quickly. If the torrification process mimics the aging process, then a guitar built with top, back, and sides all terrified should sound like my 1950's Gibson, right?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Now that all the big makers have jumped on the torrified bandwagon, I wonder how long it will be before one of them starts to use this process on the guitar backs also? I think this would really help with opening up the sound of a guitar a lot more quickly. If the torrification process mimics the aging process, then a guitar built with top, back, and sides all terrified should sound like my 1950's Gibson, right?
Many good things but it is said to be more brittle. Why add that quality to the supporting members when they add just a little to tone?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Many good things but it is said to be more brittle. Why add that quality to the supporting members when they add just a little to tone?
So basically what you're saying is you disagree with Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton and Santa Cruz's assessments that torrefied tops are more stable, and that you believe they add "just a little" to tone as opposed to their views that they do more for tone than almost anything else they've tried.

By the way, Bourgeois have started torrefying Mahogany backs and sides and Collings has torrefied Maple backs.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 AM

I believe Doubleneck is commenting only on the treatment of backs and sides.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 AM

Both Maple and Mahogany work well with torrefaction according to Dan Bourgeois! The Rosewood became very brittle and he could not bend them.

I spent last weekend with a Bourgeois Country Boy Dread that was ALL torrefied except the neck. It was a nicely built guitar, very dry tone to it.

While I wouldn't trade it even for my Kimseyfied - Martin D 18 GE, I am certain that someone will really enjoy that guitar!

Some of this cooking of the wood is not really new news. Many of the makers have been heating/drying out their top woods for years. Gallagher has what they call their HOT ROOM that all woods go into for a time prior to being used in a build.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:33 AM

It makes sense that the Rosewood didn't respond well to the Torrification. Maple and Mahogany are both pretty naturally 'dry' woods. Rosewood is naturally very oily, even dried. I believe Ebony is also.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM

Taylor has been processing their woods for years, drying them out then adding the proper moisture content for their purposes.
They've been torrefying the back/side sets on their maple line

It's a matter of time before they try all the woods to see what works and what doesn't.

Really intrigued with the Martin process of VTS - why fully cook the woods when preaging them to a specific degree will acquire the desired results?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Torrified backs? Sure, why not? What ever makes the buyer happy. ......Mike
Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

My guess is once they've saturated the target market for torrified topped guitars, the marketing departments will need something new to sell to consumers, at which point you will start to see "all torrified" guitars, meaning top, back, sides, neck, braces, bridges & fingerboards... complete with hide glue of course. I'd like to play a torrified topped guitar at some point, just to see what all the buzz is about. Maybe even bring a comparable vintage guitar with me to do a side-by-side comparison to see how they are similar & different from one another. I think my best chance to do something like that will be at the Woodstock show this fall, as I'm sure there should be a few kicking around the show.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM

I do wonder how they control the process. I recall from the days when I was buying raw wood stock to season it that air drying is the preferred method. One of the reasons for this is to preserve the cell structure. When you use heat to dry wood, it tends to break down the cell structure, which weakens the wood. Using heat to dry wood also can create internal stresses in the boards, while air drying allows the wood to dry and relax naturally. They must have some way to combat this in the torrification process I guess.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

A couple thoughts...

Personally, I am much more concerned with the quality of the softwoods and hardwoods used in the construction of my guitars than whether it has undergone torrefaction or not. By quality, I mean, well seasoned, stable, quartersawn woods, with the proper amount of cross-grain to long-grain stiffness, density, properly thicknessed and braced to work together. These factors are infinitely more important to me than a process of accelerated pyrolysis of the wood.

Using the wine analogy, if the grapes aren't good, the vinification and cooperage aren't right; all the cellaring in the world won't turn it into a great wine. The same variability that is present in untreated guitars will still exist in torrefied guitars (e.g. some will sound better than others). Guitars are complex systems based on the sum of many factors. Torrefaction may indeed prove in the long-run to be a good thing, but it is second order to the foundational attributes (mentioned above) that make a great guitar.

I will be curious to see how these guitars age over some decades of use to understand how well all the design/construction assumptions empirically derived from decades of guitar construction translate to treated materials over the long-haul.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-22-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Spruce View Post
So basically what you're saying is you disagree with Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton and Santa Cruz's assessments that torrefied tops are more stable, and that you believe they add "just a little" to tone as opposed to their views that they do more for tone than almost anything else they've tried.

By the way, Bourgeois have started torrefying Mahogany backs and sides and Collings has torrefied Maple backs.
IS: you are confusing brittleness with a lack of stability. Torrefication increases both brittleness and stability. It also weakens glue and finish adhesion.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 05-22-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Gryphon had a Maple Collings with a fully torrefied body a little while back.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
My guess is once they've saturated the target market for torrified topped guitars, the marketing departments will need something new to sell to consumers, at which point you will start to see "all torrified" guitars, meaning top, back, sides, neck, braces, bridges & fingerboards... complete with hide glue of course.
I have the same thought. I'm not saying that torrefaction doesn't have a positive effect on tone; I've never played a guitar with torrefied wood, so I'll defer to the experts on that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if, in 10-20 years, the market for torrefied wood is saturated and some other process takes it place, at least among the bigger companies. Heck, we may even see new guitars built from "pre-millennium" designs!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Gryphon had a Maple Collings with a fully torrefied body a little while back.
That's correct, and it sounds good. The link is here:
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpi.../index.php?z=y

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion