The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2015, 03:24 PM

Default Keeper

My 95 Taylor 612 Custom. Nothing they make now comes close to its tone.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP McD View Post
If it was just one, it would be the D-18V. It sounds great on just anything that I'm capable of playing.

I'm more attached to the Banner Gibson, but I can't use that for gigging in all situations. The Martin can go anywhere and do anything I need done.

I hope I'm never in the situation where I have to make that decision.
D-18v here, too.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
I am and have been a huge fan of Taylor and I am in total awe of what they have been able to accomplish in just 40 years. I have owned more Taylors over the past 20 years than any other guitar. So when life took a turn awhile back and finances became tight I knew I had to make some some tough choices. No matter what..... I was bound and determined to at least keep 1 guitar. I did. Someone asked in a previous thread what they thought was the best all around guitar. Well I thought about that too and my ultimate decision somewhat surprised even me..... I kept my Martin D 35. Now I still think Bob Taylor (and Andy Powers) know more about guitars and guitar building than Chris Martin may ever know, but this was not about a person or even a company. This was about choosing the particular guitar that I thought was the best of the ones I owned. So when the dust settles and (if) there can only be one... what will choose?
That was decided 44 years ago when I bought my '71 D-28 new.

If every other guitar had to go, including older and new Martins, THAT one stays!

Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
I am and have been a huge fan of Taylor and I am in total awe of what they have been able to accomplish in just 40 years. I have owned more Taylors over the past 20 years than any other guitar. So when life took a turn awhile back and finances became tight I knew I had to make some some tough choices. No matter what..... I was bound and determined to at least keep 1 guitar. I did. Someone asked in a previous thread what they thought was the best all around guitar. Well I thought about that too and my ultimate decision somewhat surprised even me..... I kept my Martin D 35. Now I still think Bob Taylor (and Andy Powers) know more about guitars and guitar building than Chris Martin may ever know, but this was not about a person or even a company. This was about choosing the particular guitar that I thought was the best of the ones I owned. So when the dust settles and (if) there can only be one... what will choose?
Well, that's how I'd do it -- maybe that's how most of us would do it. No doubt many of us have some affection for this or that builder or company or tradition, but in the end you are playing a particular guitar, not a relationship with or image of Andy or Bob or Chris IV -- fine gentlemen all, no doubt, but they'll likely land on their feet whatever each of us decides.

For me . . . well, I've been fortunate and don't foresee a need to cut back to just one guitar (and frankly, because of my family commitments, if I were in that position, the choice of guitar would be the last of my worries). That said, I guess the choice would not be all that hard, even if it would hurt to let go of a couple. Out the door: (1) I like the Taylor HV GS mini but I don't really need it for travel any more and for all its virtues it's easily the least favorite of my four acoustic guitars. Gone -- no tugging at heartstrings. (2) The classical guitar (Contreras II) -- I'd hate to lose it, but I haven't studied classical guitar in this century and it has been a good while since I pretended to be working at it. A bit of a shame maybe, but it's ok, and it's the truth. (3) Letting go of the runner-up would sting -- I bought a Martin CEO-7 early this year and it's a terrific and distinctive guitar. Love that thing. Do NOT want to sell it (or lose it or give it away). I'm keeping that guitar. But if I had to keep only one . . . well, the Santa Cruz OM would win. That's been my main guitar for nearly 20 years and as much as I like the Martin I would keep the OM. But permit me to say that I'd jump through a few hoops before I sold that Martin.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:55 PM

My Ovation Custom Balladeer - second loudest acoustic I own, plays like an electric, actually sounds like an acoustic guitar when plugged into an electric guitar amp, served me well for 33 years and it ain't going nowhere...
Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM

I only have one.. So it's my D-28..

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:29 PM

I seriously doubt anyone else will pick a 12 string but here goes ..
Martin Grand J12-40E Special.
Only 231 ever built.
Just beautiful to play, listen to and look at.
12-string heaven.
Maybe the best made Martin guitar not to be a success?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-21-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM

If I take the phrase and make an operational definition, I'd say it's more on the order of "Towards the end of your life, what's the last guitar you'll own?"

Me...either a custom Brw Adi 1 3/4" nut 000-42S or the same combo on a custom 14 fret 00-42. I also doubt I'll part with the first guitar I made, but that's a different question.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

My 2010 Taylor GC7 - simply the best guitar I have ever owned and is everything I desire in a guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-21-2015, 05:14 PM

My Froggy Bottom K.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Another "If you can only own one guitar thread what would you own?" thread. Quite popular these days!

I agree - it is sort of an eye roller , I vacillate between which guitar would be the ONE. But I stand by my premise , that the specific Gibson tone in a guitar would be harder to re-acquire once gone. I am more emotionally attached to the tone of my Gibsons. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the tone of my Martins as much as my Gibsons , I'm saying the tone of a good Gibson is harder to get once you get rid of the original guitar.

Anyway, I apologize to derail the original question ,but thought I would elaborate my decision making process , no matter how convoluted it may be

H
Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM

I love my new to me 2005 Breedlove Northwest guitar but I still prefer classical guitar so it would have to be my 1992 Paulino Bernabe M50. It has the best tone and playability of all of my guitars. She's a keeper for life.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:50 PM

I can't decide...I guess that means I haven't found "that" one, yet!

(Ooh, I feel an attack of GAS coming on, again!)

Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 PM

I would never own a Taylor........FWIW.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM

My Martin OM-18V.
[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion