The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 04:50 PM

I bought a guitar a couple of years ago and it came with a stand that I like quite a bit. Having a stand that you hang the guitar from seems like a better design idea than one you set the guitar into at the bottom. This one that I have is very adjustable and collapsable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-GS100.../dp/B0002BG2DQ
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM

Another fan of Hercules stands and wall hangers. I have some of each and I've never had a problem. You may pay a little more but it's worth it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I'm looking for a couple of nice secure and stable ones for my ES-335, Strat and acoustic guitars when I play out.

Been looking at the Hercules stands like the 412, 414 & 415: http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/floorstands.html

But I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Hi Gb…

I own/use a pair of Hercules 415 stands, and the Hercules bag to carry each when I'm mobile. The drawstring at the top locks shut so they are secure, and the bag has a strap which goes over the shoulder.

My Hercules stands are used home, and everywhere I travel.

Best stands I've used.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Looks like it'll be a Hercules.

I don't see an obvious difference between the 414 and the 415.

What am I missing?

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

What am I missing?
Saw it finally: the folding yoke on the 415.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

What am I missing?
HI Gb…
The folded size of the 415 is about 1˝" shorter, it extends ˝" higher, and weighs a couple ounces more than the 414 is all I know of. I don't run any stand at it's limit. A bass guitar will be longer than my acoustics by quite a bit, and I don't play bass. But my gigging partners longest bass doesn't run either to it's limit.

I own one of each, and I don't prefer one over the other. I just grab one of them and bag it and go.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-19-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: finished a sentence I left unfinished
Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM

I have one of the Hercules triples that I quite like. Solid, stable, doesn't take much room.

I also have 3-4 Hamilton's. Anything that is going to knock the guitar out of the stand is probably going to knock the stand over anyway. However, they are very stable.

TW
Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I have one of the Hercules triples that I quite like. Solid, stable, doesn't take much room.

I also have 3-4 Hamilton's. Anything that is going to knock the guitar out of the stand is probably going to knock the stand over anyway. However, they are very stable.

TW
Yeah...the triple would be nice.

No room to get behind it or easily around it on our stage though.

It's very tight.

Leaning towards two of the 414 or 415 style.

Music 123 has the 415 on sale with free shipping for $36. on Amazon.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Default stands

There are several things that are of varying importance to us. The key is to find the compromise that works best for you. The stand must be sturdy and hold the guitar securely - these are two different things and are not always the same. Then there is the issue of price. And don't forget portability and weight - again two issues and not always the same. Ease of setting or or breaking down (not at all important for a guitar kept at home, but significant when you are performing as part of a series of performers. And you want to make sure there is nothing in the stand to harm the guitar's finish.

As each of us has different priorities, that allows for a number of makers to find a home for their products. My last three stands were all home-made and two of them are, I think, the best for my normal uses. Then there are the other 8 brands that I have.....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys!

Done!

Ordered two of the GS415B stands with carrying bags.

Got a great price from Music123 and free shipping.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a Hercules 414 and it locks the guitar in. Totally secure. Wish I had a couple more.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I have the Ultimate Support version of the hanging-style tripod stand that I use on stage and at home, and I like them very much... they fold up easily, the legs lock in place when open, a guitar can hang in it for days with no issues on nitro-finishes...

I also have a couple of the smaller all-wood stands that Taylor makes; I like those okay, but only for home use... I would not use them on stage, not on a bet! - and they take some care when putting the guitar into it and taking it out... I do like the all-wood part, but I got a great deal on the two I have (half-price, 10 years ago); I wouldn't pay retail for them now.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM

I got the mini because it fits right in my gig/equipment bag. Couldn't be happier.

Ukuleles:
Concert KoAloha
Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 AM

I put my guitar on Hercules stands. I have other stand, but don't use them anymore. I have three Hercules stand 1-guitar, 3-guitar, and the 6-guitar tree. They keep your guitar from falling over (I have pets so stand that do not secure the neck are not an option.) They also have that special foam that does not interact with nitro finishes. Most of my electrics have nitro finishes and at least one acoustic.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Guest 728

Quick question: Are the Hercules stands compatible with nitro finishes?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion