The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Case for a Gibson J45

Hello all,

I'm looking for a case for a J45.
I know I can buy the Gibson but I was looking around and saw some that looked good and were considerably less expensive. Some that looked stronger.

I tried a Gator that was supposed to fit and didn't.
I tried two Road Runners. One didn't close well and the other (thermoplastic) held the guitar tight but kind of funny. Not fitted all the way around the body. Just kind of like at two points and it was very tight.

Any experience with Silver Creek or SKB8 ? Those are two that look good but are less expensive.

Any suggestions...

Thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Guest316

In your situation, I would just go ahead and go with the Gibson case. Gibson hard cases are highly regarded, fit the instrument, and are very high quality. I giggled a search for J-45 cases and found a Musician's Friend price of $149, which is very good for a high quality case. I think if you needed higher quality flight-style cases (like Hiscox) you could get better quality, but you'd pay the price lol. Just my two cents.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Frank, finding a generic hardshell case to fit Gibson dreadnoughts can be a real challenge, because (aside from the Songwriter series) the Gibsons are wider at the lower bout and deeper than most other dreadnought guitars on the market. This is something I discovered the hard way, just as you're discovering now.

Your best bet is probably the Gibson case, but another viable option is the hardshell case made for Epiphone dreadnoughts:

Sweetwater has them for $110 with free shipping:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...idgxoCkpzw_wcB

Musician's Fiend sells them for less, but doesn't yet have any in stock:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...hardshell-case

Regardless of where it's bought, the Epiphone case is a very nice case. I recently traded for one to carry my Epi AJ-500M.

So that's an option. If you balk at the thought of putting a Gibson guitar into a case that's emblazoned "Epiphone," think of that slogan as protective coloration...

Or you could cover that with a bumper sticker. Whatever. Whether or not you leave the Epiphone slogan visible, the case itself will accommodate a J-45 quite nicely.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 PM

I have a Silver Creek case for my 69 Guild
And a J45 TV, I tried the 45 in the Silver Creek
It fit tight but the neck did not seat on the neck supports, because of the padding on the bottom of the case by the upper bout
I only latched the center latch, no problem.
Silver Creek is a nice arch top case
Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 PM

I use the Hiscox Pro II for my Southern Jumbo. It is a perfect fit and a good bit lighter than the factory Gibson case.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 PM

If you're really determined not to use a Gibson case, try looking into Canadian cases on elderly.com. They're pretty much the same thing without the brand name. You should be able to find one that fits your J-45, but I'm not sure you're going to save too much money... maybe a few bucks or so.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for a case for a J45.
I know I can buy the Gibson but I was looking around and saw some that looked good and were considerably less expensive. Some that looked stronger.

I tried a Gator that was supposed to fit and didn't.
I tried two Road Runners. One didn't close well and the other (thermoplastic) held the guitar tight but kind of funny. Not fitted all the way around the body. Just kind of like at two points and it was very tight.

Any experience with Silver Creek or SKB8 ? Those are two that look good but are less expensive.

Any suggestions...

Thanks
I recommend the Silvercreek Vintage Dreadnought Archtop case. Beautiful hardshell case for $80. This is what I'm using for my BG140. I see a few five star reviews from J-45 owners on Amazon.com, etc...

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out here.
I've gotten some excellent advice here since joining I just have to say.
And Wade I took your advice and got tthat '56 J45 to my repairman who found one loose brace and stabilized the small crack
It's getting 4 new frets and will be good to go next week.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 AM

I'd definitely go for the Hiscox Pro II. Your J45 will fit like a glove

Keep on pickin'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion