The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Lessons... Again

Hey All,

I know this has been beat to death but...

Since it is back to school time I been thinkin about lessons...

I work full time and I do travel so I don't think 30min a week every week will do for me. I'm thinkin about 45 min twice a month - dates somewhat flexible. Any teachers do this?

Next issue...

Obviously I want a teacher to give me drills and practices designed to improve my very limited skills - but that said I don't want Ernie Ball beginner level 1 with the opportunity to learn Poof the Magic Dragon in a few months. I do want the feedback and avoidance of bad habits.

My thinking is drills and practices coupled with real songs that I am interested in is the way to go. Any teachers actually pay attention to the student's musical interest and do this? Providing or helping a student develop tab/guidance and play along, etc? In my mind even songs a bit beyond ones ability are OK - an example for me: This weekend I been tryin to do cocaine - now the Utube I been looking at calls for this pattern:

1 an 2 an 3 an 4 an - on to measure 2
E E D E wait wait wait D - on to measure 2

then repeat as appropriate (listen to the song) with the chorus being

E D C B (not counted out)

All downstrokes

Now there are a few issues here:

1) speed of E/D changes
2) the strum no strum pattern (learn to wait)
3) the movement of fretting hand at different speed than picking hand (picking hand waiting while fretting hand moves to D) - I find my limbs want desperately to move in unison
4) the B chord - no way on earth I can do a B with any kind of speed what so ever and in fact a B itself is hard.

All that said I do not see this song as insurmountable but something that provides a number of different skills/abilities needed. I think it a great song to work on not expecting to master it in a week or two but over time a song to come back to every few weeks or so and see where I am at.

The Utube is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdMsFx_hnI4

You see what I am thinking - a mixture of totally simple with challenges and even some that may take a few months to master. All of it tied to songs that a student wants to learn. The teacher should be able to listen to a song and make a judgement about whether or not it should be "taken on" by the student and explain why. The teacher should be able to even find songs of interest.

This guy in the video lives less than 5 miles from me and I am thinkin on givin him a call. I also have 7 harmoncas .

I guess my question is is what I am lookin for reasonable to ask for and expect?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

-Ed-
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Hi, Ed. Funny, I'm just getting into this at well. Situation is different but similar. I play at a fairly advanced level, but there are holes in my musicianship I am hankering to fill, and have been for a few decades. So I have been looking for a teacher. Since I'm way past beginners level, I'm looking for someone who I can discuss what needs to be done, and concentrate on where I need to go. I have some goals in mind, I'm going to starting working through the Conservatory Canada Contemporary Idioms for Guitar syllabus. I know what I'm lacking that I need to attend to, and I also do not want to concentrate on low level pieces. I have to learn some to pass the exams, but they are not going to be focal point - I need to improve my ear, my improvisation, and my ability to read music.

The only expectation that you have that may be an issue is 45 minutes, as the teachers time is usually scheduled out in half hour or hour intervals. You might leave him with a 15 minute hole that he could fill elsewhere. Depends on how busy he is. An hour twice a month might be more reasonable, but what you want may be perfectly fine.

As to what you want to do, by all means, discuss it. The advice I got from a friend who just finished his PHd in guitar is that if you are anywhere past beginner, you should have an interview with your teacher. Be very clear about what you want to achieve. He may have a different idea on how to get there, and you should listen to that, and determine if it will meet your goal in the end. But you are the one who needs to get something out of this. My friend said I should arrange an interview with all the teachers at the school I'm going to, and pick the one I like best. Starting out with the one I feel most likely, and assuming it will work. But up until you say yes, you're driving the bus, and make certain that he understands what you are looking for, and get him to lay out he expects to get there.

Good luck. I'm excited about doing this. I have not taken a less in over 30 years. Should be an experience.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ed...

What can it hurt to ask.

I teach 90 minute lessons at 2-3 week intervals.

I also sell lessons in packages and give a student a time limit to complete the package of lessons in. So 4 lessons at 3 week intervals would be 12 weeks so I give them 3 extra weeks in case they have to miss one.

Four in every other week get 11 weeks to complete them.

Of course if I have to miss (go on a trip) that doesn't count against their time allotted. I'm pretty easy about it all, and dedicated students get lessons in without issue.

If someone approached me about 45 minute lessons every other week, I'd sure consider it and propose a price.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect a teacher to adapt to your timelines, and communicate to you his/her opinions on where to go musically. 45 minutes twice a month can suffice as long as you are motivated to keep practicing at home and disciplined enough to do your "assignment".

When I teach, the time just flies by. An hour is up before you know it, and largely due to my talkng about everything from what songs can be played using the chords you do know to strings, posture, etc etc, so I end up earning maybe $10.00 per hour and I'm happy with it. Maybe with more experience I'll be able to focus better, but no one has complained yet !!

Enjoy, have fun, learn, be taught and teach yourself....the latter is the most important over time but you can save tons of time by taking lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write