The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Trick to muting strings?

I am trying to learn Sungha Jung's version to Guitar Boogie. See the following link:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZytLdoGhc4

Not sure how he is muting the strings on the intro. I have tried but I keep hitting other strings and inadvertently play them together. Is there a trick to it? What is the best way to do something like this? It looks like he is only playing one note and muting the others in the introduction. This is probably really easy and I am just missing it. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Cproomando; 08-26-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM

No trick or black magic...
He's muting with his fretting hand, primarily with his index finger. It'll take some practice.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cproomando View Post
I am trying to learn Sungha Jung's version to Guitar Boogie. See the following link:

Not sure how he is muting the strings on the intro. I have tried but I keep hitting other strings and inadvertently play them together. Is there a trick to it? What is the best way to do something like this? It looks like he is only playing one note and muting the others in the introduction. This is probably really easy and I am just missing it. Thanks for your help!
Muting with the fretting hand, mostly with pinky to my eye (but another finger ok, what works for you best). On muted those strums just strum the lower (base) three or four strings (strum them all and you will get unmuted notes ringing).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cproomando View Post

Hi Cproo...

Someone asked Al Petteway in his workshop we attended at Healdsburg 2013 about how he was muting a particular passage, and he tried the passage a few ways, and finally said he mutes with either hand, and does whatever it takes to mute the right string at the right time.

There is no formula n his mind…just necessity demanding a solution.

When I first started muting beyond palm mutes, and started finger mutes (on both hands) it was a matter of practice and developing the skill to drop, lean or drag a finger tip or thumb pad, or the side of a hand.

I worked hard at it, and once it was 'learned' I burned it in by using it and muting differently in the same pieces till it became as auto-pilot as playing a G chord.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write