The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Smile Need help with tones and amp...

I've been playing acoustic guitars for about 12 years. About 10 years ago I bought a Squier SSS strat and a $100 Crate 15W amp and I thought I would get into playing electric guitars. However, I could never get the tones I wanted so I ended up selling the Squier and amp. About 4 years ago I decided to try again so I bought another electric guitar and a Line 6 modeling amp. After a few months of trying out, I still couldn't get the tones I wanted so I just gave up on electric guitars. Maybe I just didn't know how to play with the settings to get the guitar to sound like the songs on the radio.

Now I'm thinking about getting into electric guitars again (this time is serious...hopefully ) and I want to get a guitar, an amp, and some effect pedals but I don't know a thing about amps and effects.

Here are some tones I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTHQKgiOn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9Qxm_NHVI

Could you guys please give me some advice on how to get the guitar to sound like the videos above? What kind of amp and effects do I need to buy? As for the guitar, I'm thinking about something like Fender HSS Strat or telecaster. LP's are too heavy for me. My budget is $600. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Serenade; 11-04-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 AM

Have you tried an SG? Slightly brighter than a Les Paul, and significantly lighter. I ask because both of your linked videos are recorded on dual humbucker solidbodies. I would look at a Fender Mustang amp if you're on a budget. The Fuse software lets you adjust settings very easily, and the modeling is really impressive for the different amps. I really enjoy mine for quiter practice sessions. An even nicer option would be a low powered tube amp like a Vox AC4 or Marshall Class 5.

First clip sounds like a fairly aggressive distortion pedal into the amp. At least on my speakers, I'm not hearing any modulation type effects or delay. The second clip I can best reproduce with my Les Paul into a clean, bright tube amp. No effects or pedals to color the sound.

The thing about trying to achieve what you hear on the radio is that the recorded guitar track may have been heavily massaged by the recording engineer during mastering with a bunch of reverb, EQ adjustments, overdubbing, etc.

Hope this helps you out some. Have fun shopping!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM

you should be able to get those tones from a squire and a line 6. the first clip isn't all that distorted and the second clips is a pretty basic tone. if you feel the need to spend some money put it into some decent pickups. for example, you could get a entire pre-wired lace sensor pick guard assembly with all three pickups for under $250. i think too, that you need to have somebody show you how to dial in the settings on your amp one-on-one or perhaps browse some you tube videos explaining the features of line 6 modeling.

p.s oops i didn't digest your entire post so it appears that you no longer have the squire? and maybe you have the line 6 or want something else? well whatever guitar you have now and a better understanding of the amp could be the ticket.

Last edited by arie; 11-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM

your best bet is to go to your local big box store and play various guitars and amps. recommendations most likely won't help since the tones you want are basically in your head and need to get out! ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Not an unusual tone. I'd recommend either humbuckers, or very quiet singles (lace sensor, etc), something that can handle higher gain.

This tone isn't hard to get, and has more to do with your hands controlling that gain and the tone, than the guitar/amp combo. That said, once your hands can nail this musically, a humbucker guitar and a good tube amp will be the icing on the cake.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM

Epiphone Vintage G400 and a Bugera V22 22W tube amp should get it - ~$600 on coupon day at your local GC/Sam Ash...
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM

I was just wondering if it has to do with how much pressure you're using with your fretting hand. I just got an electric, and because it's a much lighter touch than an acoustic, if I press too hard, it makes it sound off, like the notes are flatted or sharped. Hope this helps.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 PM

You should be able to get those tones from just about any decent guitar and amp. Might need a GOOD distortion pedal to get that tight, focused high-gain sound from clip #1, and a good reverb and delay for clip #2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars