The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Default Pedal Chains

R the pedal things ok?

Last edited by M Sarad; 05-27-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM

no rules! put everything together for the least noise and best sound. play it. tomorrow, you'll change everything and the next day too. then, one day you'll find the perfect setup, only to experiment again the next week.

this is from experience and i do purposely change the order of things now and then to give me a different sound.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
no rules! put everything together for the least noise and best sound. play it. tomorrow, you'll change everything and the next day too. then, one day you'll find the perfect setup, only to experiment again the next week.

this is from experience and i do purposely change the order of things now and then to give me a different sound.

play music!
This is certainly true.

To start, I'd say put it in there with the Blues Driver and Distortion.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 PM

My effects are nowhere near as extensive as yours, but I like to keep my boost/drive/distortion pedals together, and I keep the pedal I am using as light boost at the front.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:47 PM

I only follow one rule. First establish your tone. So your dirt/boosts first. If you have more than one, I like the so called clean boost type that give your gain a substantial kick first among them.

Then shape that tone with your doplers and choruses and stuff. And right before my amp I put my tank.

Quite a few EQ pedals actually add quite a bit of gain, but folks don't realize it because they never use them alone, and always have them on.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM

I agree that there are no rules but there does tend to be best practices. I like to have delay and reverb (I just use the amps reverb) at the end but one thing I have found works pretty cool is to have an OD go into an envelope filter then into a distortion box. All 3 on at the same time give it a great tone. But you most of the time OD/distortion goes after wah unless you want that Stooges cooking bacon sounding sizzle.

This thread is a good opportunity to show off the pedal board The first thing I plug into is a line conditioner/buffer, the Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box, then into the huge pedal chain.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Not cool dude. First rule of Dirt Club is you don't talk about the Metal Zone. Second rule is you don't talk about the Metal Zone.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM

LOL is the Metal Zone frowned upon?

FWIW this is a modded one and the mod made it go from a horrible pedal to one in which I shall never part with

I guess technically it's no longer a Metal Zone, the difference was that great. That compressor was also modded and again that made a huge difference too!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
LOL is the Metal Zone frowned upon?

FWIW this is a modded one and the mod made it go from a horrible pedal to one in which I shall never part with

I guess technically it's no longer a Metal Zone, the difference was that great. That compressor was also modded and again that made a huge difference too!
Horrible? It's the secret weapon for a lot guitarists.

Did you mod it yourself? I'd be curious to a/b. It won't be great samples but off to Youtube I go to look!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Ah ok interesting. I remember back in the day hearing that, of all guitarists out there, Jerry Garcia used a metal zone. Turned out it was actually the hm-2 but still, goes to show you that you can re-purpose a pedal for many styles.

I bought the mod kit from Mote Allums (Spelling?). It really really cleaned it up good. I thought the original stock pedal was a cool sounding box but I could not handle the white noise from it. This mod totally cleaned that up but it also did change the pedal. It will not now get that uber high gain but it's close enough and the trade off for a quite controlled distortion is worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars