The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Just set up my new Chromebook

Samsung 12.3 Chromebook Plus

It took less than 2.5 minutes. That's from the time I opened the lid til the time my browser opened with all my bookmarks loaded. I do still have to look at the Android apps. I didn't have them on my other Chromebook

Try that Windows users!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Samsung 12.3 Chromebook Plus

It took less than 2.5 minutes. That's from the time I opened the lid til the time my browser opened with all my bookmarks loaded. I do still have to look at the Android apps. I didn't have them on my other Chromebook

Try that Windows users!
I don't generally compare the Chrome laptops to a general purpose operating system but my guess is that you're just trolling.

I don't know that model but I've been glad that some premium systems have come along. I spend so much time at a screen and keyboard that the inexpensive Chromebooks (and all cheap laptops) are not pleasant. The premium and low cost models help address low cost and professional use.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

You know how it is when you get a new Windows machine, you have to spend all day taking out all the bloat-ware, then a couple more days installing programs, setting up bookmarks and so on and so forth.

Then every time you turn it on you wait and wait some more for it to start up. Even when you shut down you wait.

This is my second Chromebook. Since I had another one all I had to do was sign in with my Google password and everything comes up even all my files. I do have to install the Android Apps since this is all new for Chromebooks

I'm going to give my old Chromebook to my sister, all I have to do is click on ''powerwash'' and it will be like a brand new blank Chromebook. Once she signs in with her Google password, she will be almost completely set up. She'll still have to load files. If I go over there and want to borrow it, I can sign her out, sign myself in and it will have all my stuff. Then when I sign out, she can sign back in.

Sometimes there can be compatibility issues and I'll have to get out the old Lenovo win10 laptop. It feels like I'm hanging out with Fred Flintstone eating brontasauross burger!

Chromebooks are so cool!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, the only reason it took 2.5 minutes to set up is because I had to look up my wifi password.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
You know how it is when you get a new Windows machine, you have to spend all day taking out all the bloat-ware, then a couple more days installing programs, setting up bookmarks and so on and so forth.

Then every time you turn it on you wait and wait some more for it to start up. Even when you shut down you wait.

This is my second Chromebook. Since I had another one all I had to do was sign in with my Google password and everything comes up even all my files. I do have to install the Android Apps since this is all new for Chromebooks

I'm going to give my old Chromebook to my sister, all I have to do is click on ''powerwash'' and it will be like a brand new blank Chromebook. Once she signs in with her Google password, she will be almost completely set up. She'll still have to load files. If I go over there and want to borrow it, I can sign her out, sign myself in and it will have all my stuff. Then when I sign out, she can sign back in.

Sometimes there can be compatibility issues and I'll have to get out the old Lenovo win10 laptop. It feels like I'm hanging out with Fred Flintstone eating brontasauross burger!

Chromebooks are so cool!

They are cool but if you're not trolling, it seems you're unaware aware that a cheap general purpose system likely subsidized with a software bundle doesn't represent decent general purpose computers.

It's neat that we're at a point where Chromebooks, tablets and phones can serve about all a whole lot of people need to do for computing.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I have a new Dell laptop. i5 processor, 8GB Ram and a 256GB solid state hard drive. It boots up in about 10 seconds, including logging me in with face recognition. It can be used in either laptop mode or tablet mode.

Turning it off is as simple as closing the lid.

I've got no complaints.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) boots in seconds, logs in with face recognition (similar to the previous poster with the Lenovo, and sits nicely on my music stand like a book. It runs the full windows 10 and any desktop app runs fine on it. I did not have to remove "bloatware" and installing software that I purchased seems reasonable to me. How else will the software get onto my system?

I am sure the Chrome laptop is a good system for the appropriate user, but please don't discount the fact that technology across the board moves along, not just one isolated type of system. That just seems awfully naive.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-23-2017, 01:40 AM

Yup... all modern laptops with SSD drives boot in seconds. My Lenovo Helix boots in 21 seconds and it's a full laptop with 8 GB or RAM and an i7. I can even detach the monitor from the keyboard and use it as a tablet.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I got my first Chromebook, a Samsung Chromebook2 11inch, three years ago to replace my Ipad that I was using with a keyboard. It ended up replacing my laptop and I still used the Ipad. Once in a while I need to get out the laptop for something that the Chromebook won't do, like burn a CD. Now I just got the new Samsung 12.3 in Chromebook Plus. This one has the app store and should replace both of them.

First glitch; my local newspaper android app isn't compatible with the chromebook yet. Had to go to the Ipad this morning. Darn!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) boots in seconds, logs in with face recognition (similar to the previous poster with the Lenovo, and sits nicely on my music stand like a book. It runs the full windows 10 and any desktop app runs fine on it. I did not have to remove "bloatware" and installing software that I purchased seems reasonable to me. How else will the software get onto my system?

I am sure the Chrome laptop is a good system for the appropriate user, but please don't discount the fact that technology across the board moves along, not just one isolated type of system. That just seems awfully naive.

Tony
To be fair, the size of our enterprise has us using all major platforms including Google but you're right about the Surface family. My users get a more basic one like that and the high end laptop like ones. This summer I switched my desktops from more traditional PCs to mini models because no one really uses CD/DVD the way they demand speed and space. They do have HP's own business class utilities but they're fast, easy to manage and surprisingly low cost.

Premium Chromebooks exist now but not one in 750 employees wants the PixelBooks that start at $1000 taken from their budget when you have Surface and MacBook products either side of that. The Surface and Mac run Google's server-side stuff just as well, do so much more, and are just fantastic products all around.

My kids' school system is Google and full of Chromebooks. They point out constant problem of kids in line for the lower quantity of Windows and Mac computers so in their words they can "actually do stuff". I know that's over-simplified by them but it is more proof of being limited.

I'm not against the environment. I'm an Alphabet stockholder and a G Suite administrator. It's just that the low cost ones (Chromebooks) have mediocre at best keyboards and displays like all the world's craptops and do less and same with the premium ones. I love my high stock price but also love a computer that lets me do about anything.

I would be curious to know if anyone here's jumped on the premium Chromebooks.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 AM

I never have to shut off my Mac..Just sayin
Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
To be fair, the size of our enterprise has us using all major platforms including Google but you're right about the Surface family. My users get a more basic one like that and the high end laptop like ones. This summer I switched my desktops from more traditional PCs to mini models because no one really uses CD/DVD the way they demand speed and space. They do have HP's own business class utilities but they're fast, easy to manage and surprisingly low cost.

Premium Chromebooks exist now but not one in 750 employees wants the PixelBooks that start at $1000 taken from their budget when you have Surface and MacBook products either side of that. The Surface and Mac run Google's server-side stuff just as well, do so much more, and are just fantastic products all around.

My kids' school system is Google and full of Chromebooks. They point out constant problem of kids in line for the lower quantity of Windows and Mac computers so in their words they can "actually do stuff". I know that's over-simplified by them but it is more proof of being limited.

I'm not against the environment. I'm an Alphabet stockholder and a G Suite administrator. It's just that the low cost ones (Chromebooks) have mediocre at best keyboards and displays like all the world's craptops and do less and same with the premium ones. I love my high stock price but also love a computer that lets me do about anything.

I would be curious to know if anyone here's jumped on the premium Chromebooks.
I guess I'm so far out of it now that I'm having trouble following what you're saying. Are touch pads with keyboards really taking over from laptops the way laptops took over from desktops? Apple's new iPad commercial seems to suggest that computers are for old people (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQB2NjhJHvY), of which I am admittedly one.

In this regard, I was in the Apple store the other day listening to a demonstration on Numbers. The 20-something presenter had trouble responding to my questions and got frustrated, saying "I hate the way this program runs on a laptop". With that, she pulled out an iPad Pro and started whizzing around the screen with ease. I got the feeling something generational was going on.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Pros for Chromebook

I am writing this response on a very inexpensive Samsung "book". As a retired IT ptofessional I have a variety of other systems here at home. Win 7, Win 10, Linux (Lubuntu), and Mac.

For most of what I do now the "Book" is all I need. Mail, forums, banking, etc. I have studied the chromebook environment for a while and think it is safer that the others as far as virus hacks. I will include a short link to the pros including "sandbox" technology. Chrome book is a different animal as to the operating system.

As other posters have stated it depends on what you NEED to use to accomplish your tasks. I just don't need the hassle of maintaining Windows, I like Mac ok but they are pricey, I can't recommend Ubuntu to the less adventurous (even though it makes an older machine run fast enough to be still useful).

Most days all I touch in the chrome book.

Lee

Link to a short blurb on chromebook pros

www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/814

Last edited by renoslim; 11-24-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Here's my new one;

https://9to5google.com/2017/03/07/sa...k-plus-review/

It's a pretty high end chromebook with a list price of $450 and BF price of $340. Since I was already typing on a smaller keyboard, my hands adjusted to this one very easily. The only problem I did have was that I'd hit ''s'' when I wanted ''a'' but that was just at the beginning. Some reviewers criticized the keyboard, but it's a big improvement over my Chromebook2. I'm loving this one.

One person I talked to a Thanksgiving dinner told me how great the chromebooks are for her school. They don't have units for each student, the have the chromebooks on rolling carts of ten with the chargers. They pass them out and the kids sign in, then sign out.

Another guy, an IT guy, told me that some of his people are using chromebooks with different operating systems to have rockin lightweight portable laptops.

Some people feel that ''I've got to have a real computer'' and that's fine for them, but they are missing the point with all these newer alternatives.

My wife's boss was running a whole medical sales team with just his Iphone almost ten years ago. He said that he never even looked at his laptop any more.

Last edited by lowrider; 11-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 AM

I was thinking about getting my wife a Chromebook for her birthday.

She doesn't use computers much, just wants to sort through pictures on an SD card. They'll do that with a card/usb adapter won't they?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic