The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM

Default Fishman UST on Rainsong Black Ice

Hi all. I have a Rainsong Black Ice equipped with a Fishman Prefix Plus T, I purchased a few years ago on the used market. I really like the guitar but the Fishman pickup has always been an issue. It is really easy to overdrive, which makes it hard to find a spot that gives good tonal range without distorting.
I was thinking of replacing the Fishman UST with the K&K Pure Mini SBT. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this on a CF guitar?
I appreciate your help and advice.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:09 AM

I have a CA Legacy with the same pick Up and have not been able to dial it in either. Maybe its me. I do have a K&K Pure Mini in my 000-18 and am pretty pleased. I do have to roll off some base to keep it from being too boomy. My only caution would be to be sure you have a smooth surface to attach the glue on transducers. My Martin was not an issue, but I don't know if the
Rainsong is finished smooth enough inside.. I know that when i was considering an Emerald with the K&K pick up , i was told to either have them install it or at least to let them know that was what I indented to put in so that they could make sure that spot was finished smoothly. Perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I have a CA Legacy with the same pick Up and have not been able to dial it in either. Maybe its me. I do have a K&K Pure Mini in my 000-18 and am pretty pleased. I do have to roll off some base to keep it from being too boomy. My only caution would be to be sure you have a smooth surface to attach the glue on transducers. My Martin was not an issue, but I don't know if the
Rainsong is finished smooth enough inside.. I know that when i was considering an Emerald with the K&K pick up , i was told to either have them install it or at least to let them know that was what I indented to put in so that they could make sure that spot was finished smoothly. Perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in.
I haven’t had to do this myself, but I know it is true based on a number of past posts about it.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM

I bought a Shorty with no electronics but installed a K&K pure mini with no issues. If you follow the instructions exactly and take your time you can do it- the surface inside took the transducers fine. RainSong offers them out of factory now but I'm not sure if they prep the inside surface.

I do however have recommend an external preamp of your choice if you opt for the passive version.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Something you might try before giving up on the Fishman Pickup is to try a TC BodyRez pedal. I just ordered one to try and tame the Quack I get from the pickup you have and try to restore the acoustic sound. Around $99.00. Might be worth a try.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/bodyrez/
Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Not all carbon fiber guitars have a smooth enough surface to mount the K&K piezo discs to. Rainsong charges a lot more for K&K because of the labor involved. With the Fishman Matrix, you have the benefit of potentially using a Aura pedal, which is designed around that pickup. I would take my guitar to a shop that sells that Fishman Aura pedal and ask for a demo. You can find some custom images that may sound spot on for you. The downside is that the pedal is expensive. The Body Rez pedal described above is another (inexpensive) pedal solution.

Aside from that, there are other USTs which have a better sound. Many people prefer the LR Baggs Element UST. The only downside is that it can dampen sound with a wooden guitar. It's probably less noticeable with carbon. And, if that sounds better to you, the LR Baggs Anthem is a good solution. A member here swears by the Anthem system in his Rainsong.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Hey thanks everyone for the advice. I do appreciate it. You've given me some great ideas and also things to be cautious with. If I do decide to give the K&K a whirl I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber