The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Just got a new Blackbird Savoy and am impressed

I have owned a couple of Acoustic Composite Cargo's, one a pre-Peavey model and one made by Peavey- While they were great for traveling and impervious to the elements I was always frustrated with the balance across the strings as they tended to be of all things a bit on the bassy side.

At NAMM this year I had the chance to play the prototype Blackbird Savoy and was immediately impressed with what I heard- it was deep and rich yet it was very balanced across all the strings- I ordered one right then.

It arrived today and all I can say is it is an amazing little guitar. It sounds rich and balanced with great note separation and clarity. The 24.5" scale feels very "familiar" allowing good tension for playability. I had to switch to mediums on my Cargo as the lights were just too easy to bend sharp due to the short 22.75" scale and if I tried to play loud they would get a bit muddy on me. The strings seem to feel more solid with the added tension the longer scale length provides and I can attack the strings harder without over driving them. It just feels right...

Even though the scale length is longer it still fits into a 3/4 size bag as they compensated for the longer neck by molding it into the body with a cutaway feature that allows you easy access up the 17th fret even though the neck meets the body at the 12th. Great design....

Loved my Cargo's and the whole idea of having a guitar with me that I don't have to worry about leaving in my car. The Savoy really takes it up a notch and I am really impressed- this is a little guitar with a big voice that is loud yet balanced and has great sustain and resonance- it just shimmers....

This also comes with a side soundport as standard. I thought that was a nice touch and in my experience adds to the listening experience for the player by projecting the sound up to the player. I also believe it creates a slight phase effect between the sound hole and the side soundport that could very well contribute to that shimmer....

Fit and finish are top notch and the whole thing weighs less than 4 pounds which is a LOT less than my Cargo. Probably because it's made of that special linen rather than carbon fiber and the neck is actually hollow. If you own a Cargo you know how heavy that neck is. This hollow neck also allows a soundport up at the faceplate located just above the nut which I have heard adds to a stereophonic like effect....

All in all great little guitar with amazing tone and volume-

Many thanks to Joe Luttwak, the owner of Blackbird Guitars. Good guy building great instruments for sure.

Kevin
KinnardUkes
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats! As an owner and lover of the Cargo (an ‘08 RT since new), and currently seriously GASing over the Savoy.....you just had to go and post this didn’t ya! Don’t post pics or my head may explode.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Kev!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Just got a new Blackbird Savoy and am impressed

Congrats! You described the savoy perfectly. I love mine. It's hands down the most versatile guitar I've ever owned
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Kevin - nice review! Great to see CF manufacturers making compact guitars that play big.

I think some photos are in order.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 PM

Kevin curious what style of guitar you play, finger style vs. flat pick? Thanks.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-10-2017, 04:41 AM

Congratulations Kevin !

I’m pretty sure the Blackbird Savoy is a terrific guitar, but I am struggling to remember what they look like...

Got any Photos ?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Congratulations on your new Savoy!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:54 AM

Congrats, Kevin, use it in good health.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Congratulations Kevin !

I’m pretty sure the Blackbird Savoy is a terrific guitar, but I am struggling to remember what they look like...

Got any Photos ?
Sorry haven't had a chance to take any photos but check out this page and you'll see better pictures of it than I can take-ha.

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/products/savoy
Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Kevin curious what style of guitar you play, finger style vs. flat pick? Thanks.
Both fingerstyle and flatpick. While my Cargo was great for fingerstyle - flatpicking not so much. The Savoy with the longer scale handles flat picking much better in my limited experience...more articulate and balanced sound without being overdriven.

Cheers-
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Kevin, despite my first post, I would very much like to see your new Savoy...it値l just be dangerous for me to view it.

If you are able to take and post pics, please consider posting one of both your Savoy and Cargo, for side-by-side size comparison purposes.

Now that you have the Savoy, what have you done, or will be doing with your Cargo? If you値l be keeping it, I assume you feel it still has a place among your guitars?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Kevin, despite my first post, I would very much like to see your new Savoy...it値l just be dangerous for me to view it.

If you are able to take and post pics, please consider posting one of both your Savoy and Cargo, for side-by-side size comparison purposes.

Now that you have the Savoy, what have you done, or will be doing with your Cargo? If you値l be keeping it, I assume you feel it still has a place among your guitars?
Hi Tom-

Well, I ended up selling the Cargo to a buddy of mine that absolutely loves it. He has shoulder problems and the small body and short scale of the Cargo really make it comfortable for him....plus he is blown away by the deep voice for such a small body. It's in good hands and he will enjoy it as he goes camping and is on the road a lot...cheers.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
Hi Tom-

Well, I ended up selling the Cargo to a buddy of mine that absolutely loves it. He has shoulder problems and the small body and short scale of the Cargo really make it comfortable for him....plus he is blown away by the deep voice for such a small body. It's in good hands and he will enjoy it as he goes camping and is on the road a lot...cheers.
Thanks, Kev. Which finish was on your Cargo, gloss or raw...did you ever have one with the Road Tough finish, like mine is? I知 not sure of the finish options of the standard, non-gloss burst Savoy models...satin and/or gloss in whole or in part. Which is yours? One thing I like about the RT finish of my Cargo is the no-worry, no smudging of it. How does your Savoy compare in this regard? Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks, Kev. Which finish was on your Cargo, gloss or raw...did you ever have one with the Road Tough finish, like mine is? I知 not sure of the finish options of the standard, non-gloss burst Savoy models...satin and/or gloss in whole or in part. Which is yours? One thing I like about the RT finish of my Cargo is the no-worry, no smudging of it. How does your Savoy compare in this regard? Thanks again!
My first Cargo was the RT finish and I liked it- the second one was matte but not really as thick as the RT on the first- both were black. The savoy has a smooth matte finish (sort of comparable to my second Cargo) on the back and sides but the top has a bit of texture to it. You don't really see fingerprints but you can see where it's been handled but it wipes off easily...hope this helps- cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
blackbird, savoy