The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Here is a quick pic of the 5th fret inlay all finished and cleaned up...

Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 PM

So I have been alluding to the 12th fret inlay... I wanted to obviously continue with a Scottish theme. After much searching for iconic Scottish emblems that were also suitable for inlay I found the luckenbooth. A luckenbooth is a traditional Scottish brooch that is traced way back to at least the 1500's maybe further. It was given its name by the fact it was sold in Edinburgh at jewelry booths called luckenbooths (locked booths). Please if any of our Scottish friends need to correct or add to this information, please do so.

Steve initially did a paper sketch, he found this really cool example in which there was a double heart with a thistle inside the hearts to tie in with the other thistles on the fretboard. The double heart means a lot to me for I would not be where I am today without Kathy, so the two hearts are for us. The sketch looked like this:

The luckenbooth is almost always done in silver and they all have a sort of antique look to them so naturally (or not naturally), Steve had silver sheets on hand and was able to cut this by hand out of a sheet of silver as follows:

I asked how many blades were sacrificed in this operation and he proudly replied only the one blade was used!!!! That is a miracle in itself...

Next is a picture of part of the inlay cut out and sanded laying in place on the fretboard along with the other inlays:

BUT, this was not the last part, there is a thistle embedded in the hearts, this was finished today. I believe the thistle is MOP, that was the original plan, but I am not 100% on that as it was a little up in the air as to using two materials instead of all silver. Perhaps Steve will help with this. I LOVE IT.

We have yet to decide on any other markers on the fretboard such at 3, 7, and 9. If we do, they will be small so as not to make things too busy. I am thinking small celtic crosses would be cool, but we will see what transpires.

Can't wait to hear what people think....

Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-21-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

That is amazing detail work that really ties everything together. Wow--cannot imagine all the cutting that goes into that inlay!

I'm hoping the thistle and leaves will be colored to match the other inlays--either way, it's going to look stunning!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nicely done!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! I can't imagine the anxiety of making that while being careful not to break it. I love the double meaning (no puns intended).
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys, we're on the downhill slope on this inlay.
Some clarity: yes, the 12th fret thistle and leaves are mother of pearl, and yes they will be engraved and filled/stained with ink like the others.

TBD'd is the degree of polish for the silver hearts. Could polish to a mirror finish, but then the silver begins to look like chrome. This is copied from a piece of jewelry, and the degree of polish on that piece stopped short of mirror sheen, but still shinier than matte. I guess we'll try it a couple of ways. Of course, our wish is for Tom to play the ever-loving daylights out of this thing, so it will get well-scratched with string wear. Although looking back at it, it's gonna be sad putting frets over all that.
Thanks again,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-21-2017, 11:16 PM

Looking brilliant Steve & Tom!!
Have I missed what colour the frets will be?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Man, that 12th fret inlay is over the top cool. Love the 2 hearts approach! You guys are beyond amazing. Beautiful work!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That is amazing detail work that really ties everything together. Wow--cannot imagine all the cutting that goes into that inlay!

I'm hoping the thistle and leaves will be colored to match the other inlays--either way, it's going to look stunning!
Thanks Nemoman!!!! It is a pretty complicated cutting job for sure and I love the way it came out, the thistle in the middle is just over the top and as you see from Steve it is MOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Nicely done!
Thanks John. I would give anything to add that other Kinnaird Scottish guitar to the homestead, but this is not a good time for me to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Very nice! I can't imagine the anxiety of making that while being careful not to break it. I love the double meaning (no puns intended).
Yes, I am pretty sentimental and I do love the person very much that the other heart represents. This guitar will never be sold, so I wanted to personalize it for many reasons, Kathy being one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks guys, we're on the downhill slope on this inlay.
Some clarity: yes, the 12th fret thistle and leaves are mother of pearl, and yes they will be engraved and filled/stained with ink like the others.

TBD'd is the degree of polish for the silver hearts. Could polish to a mirror finish, but then the silver begins to look like chrome. This is copied from a piece of jewelry, and the degree of polish on that piece stopped short of mirror sheen, but still shinier than matte. I guess we'll try it a couple of ways. Of course, our wish is for Tom to play the ever-loving daylights out of this thing, so it will get well-scratched with string wear. Although looking back at it, it's gonna be sad putting frets over all that.
Thanks again,

Steve
Thanks Steve for the clarification, it was hard to tell on the picture. Although I have thanked Steve in Emails, let me do it again in public...THANK YOU STEVE this came out exactly as I had hoped for and looks amazing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Looking brilliant Steve & Tom!!
Have I missed what colour the frets will be?
No you have not missed that, but I do not believe we have discussed this yet, I would have to think silver at this point, not sure the gold would go....
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Man, that 12th fret inlay is over the top cool. Love the 2 hearts approach! You guys are beyond amazing. Beautiful work!
Thanks Dennis....the 12th fret inlay in my mind was always meant to be the signature bling on this guitar since the rest of the build was all wood with no abalone etc. I think we have managed to meet that goal!!!!!!!!!!! So glad you like it!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM

I am hoping that Damian and Scottish stop by to see this, would love a Scotsman take on the whole thing!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 AM

That fretboard is very handsome as is - I wouldn't risk putting more markers on it. In fact, you should learn to play fretless so the frets won't spoil the design!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That fretboard is very handsome as is - I wouldn't risk putting more markers on it. In fact, you should learn to play fretless so the frets won't spoil the design!
Thank you very much. Yes, that is the concern. I think Steve will probably do a mock up with and without for me to look at. I told him long ago on our first build that I am a visual person and need to see it before I can decide. I am not able to imagine in my minds eye like some people. I am sure we will come up with something (or not something) that looks great.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 PM

This shot is a little out of sequence, but here is a close up of Steve carving the thistle in the 12th fret. Everything is inlayed and leveled.

Here is a close up of final product:

Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great work Steve! I'd like to learn to do engraving on shell as you can really add so much more detail and textures. Very nice.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop