The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 AM

Default Thomastik or John Pearse

I'm looking to see if anyone has tried either of these two sets of strings by Thomastik Infeld - the Classic S or the Thomastik/John Pearse Folk:

http://www.juststrings.com/toi-kr116.html

http://www.juststrings.com/jps-tho.html

I'm looking for a "different" set for my nylon dread and have been curious about these two sets. I've been using the Labella Folk Singer ball ends. Are these the steel string type ball ends (steel ends) or the classical type ball ends (plastic ends)? I notice these are some higher cost strings...
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Wow. Either of those two sets intrigue me. How would they affect a Taylor NS32CE?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM

I've thought about trying the T-I strings on my nylon string some time... just be careful with tensions. Make sure they aren't too high for your guitar as nylon strings normally exert a lot less tension and the guitars are built much more delicately.
that's me on guitar
Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I've got the the Thomastik-Pearse Folk set on my 1907 Martin 0-18. As close as I can get to a steelstring sound without the pressure on the top (same 84 lbs of pressure as a traditional nylon set). They do have metal ball ends and cost quite a bit, but my first set has been on for at least two months and still sound good (my playing aside). Here's a brief demo I posted to Youtube - recorded on my Canon SX10 IS, so not the greatest fidelity.

Austin
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
I've got the the Thomastik-Pearse Folk set on my 1907 Martin 0-18. As close as I can get to a steelstring sound without the pressure on the top (same 84 lbs of pressure as a traditional nylon set). They do have metal ball ends and cost quite a bit, but my first set has been on for at least two months and still sound good (my playing aside). Here's a brief demo I posted to Youtube - recorded on my Canon SX10 IS, so not the greatest fidelity.

Austin
Wow, those sound really nice. Thanks for posting the clip! I think I need to try these. Are these the regular steel ball ends found on typical steel string sets?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post

Austin
Very nice Austin. Thanks for posting.

I just got a set today. Will put them on my Taylor NS32CE tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granderojo View Post
Very nice Austin. Thanks for posting.

I just got a set today. Will put them on my Taylor NS32CE tomorrow.
Please post your review of them...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

hi
are this steel strings for the classical ?
really i am been looking for this choose
the hannabach g3 series( aluminum or chrome, wound and polished) they have this quality?
last year i performed in portugal with a fado musician who has a special
set in his classical, i cant found his mail, but i remember probably he said
thomastick,
some one can help me with this confusion?
thanks
Eblen
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Please post your review of them...
Well I gotta say the JPT Folks are not for me.

My first impression was: WOW! Cool! just like a steel string guitar! And I felt very comfortable with the feel
and sound of the treble strings. But then I started to miss the smooth mellow tones of the nylon trebles.

So for me, they're not what I was looking for. My search continues...I think a set with a wound G string and
high tension will satisfy my desires.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM

I would like to bring this thread back here ...I would like to get more of a nylon sound on for occasional use on one of my guitars. I have a couple of older Martin's as well ...including one of the 00-18's made for Wurlitzer. Anyone using these strings think that putting a set of these on that guitar would be good ...and not cause tension/neck problems as a result. Right now I have light gauge steel strings on this guitar.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 PM

Default Thomastik or John Pearse

I am interested in the Thomastik, but maybe for the opposite reasons and/or desires.

Because of my Muscular Dystrophy my hands are weak. I find playing nylon strings easier, however I prefer the sound of steel. Actually, to be more precise, I like the tone of the low tuned strings of nylon and the metallic tones of the Bs and high Es of steel for they have more bite.

Lately, I have been window shopping for a cheap priced, small size flamenco guitar (no, I don't want a classical) thinking maybe this will fill my needs and desires to play blues, folk, and country western.

For experimental reasons I'm contemplating putting them on my Baby Taylor (I want if possible more bass) and my old laminated Takamine Jasmine classical guitar (because it is uninspiring to my ears).

I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Lafayette
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I am interested in the Thomastik, but maybe for the opposite reasons and/or desires.

Because of my Muscular Dystrophy my hands are weak. I find playing nylon strings easier, however I prefer the sound of steel. Actually, to be more precise, I like the tone of the low tuned strings of nylon and the metallic tones of the Bs and high Es of steel for they have more bite.

Lately, I have been window shopping for a cheap priced, small size flamenco guitar (no, I don't want a classical) thinking maybe this will fill my needs and desires to play blues, folk, and country western.

For experimental reasons I'm contemplating putting them on my Baby Taylor (I want if possible more bass) and my old laminated Takamine Jasmine classical guitar (because it is uninspiring to my ears).

I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Lafayette
Hello Lafayette - Perhaps a lower priced parlor like the Art and Lutherie Ami or the Seagull Entourage Grand with a set of low tension strings might work for you. Of course there are the John Pearse / T-I Folk set described in this thread, and aternatively there are the Newtone Heritage set found here (scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://newtonestrings.com/acoustic_page.htm
Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 AM

I use D'adarrio ProArte Etra hard tension E, A, and D strings and the Thomastik Classic ClassicS G, B and E strings. I love it because it gives you the great bass of the ProArte's and the steel like treble sound of the Thomastik. I know alot of traditional nylon string guys probably would not like it but it is just right for someone looking for a sound closer to steel string but still holding those nice low bass notes.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 AM

H Bryan

Both of these T-I sets use a flexible steel rope core overwound with nylon tape for the trebles and either rope core + silverplated copper tape wound ("S" series) or nylon multifilament core overwound with round silverplated copper (JP Folk) basses.

They are low tension strings - about the same as standard nylon strings - and are designed to be used on classical guitar to produce a sound more like steel strings. They can, of course also be used on other acoustic guitars.

They do sound much more like steel strings than nylon strings and I, like Granderojo, prefer nylon.

Here is a vid of a set of the JP Folk on one of my dreds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYHvI0bguLQ
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
H Bryan

Both of these T-I sets use a flexible steel rope core overwound with nylon tape for the trebles and either rope core + silverplated copper tape wound ("S" series) or nylon multifilament core overwound with round silverplated copper (JP Folk) basses.

They are low tension strings - about the same as standard nylon strings - and are designed to be used on classical guitar to produce a sound more like steel strings. They can, of course also be used on other acoustic guitars.

They do sound much more like steel strings than nylon strings and I, like Granderojo, prefer nylon.

Here is a vid of a set of the JP Folk on one of my dreds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYHvI0bguLQ
Garthman - please note that this is an older thread brought back by another curious about them. I remember your video when I started this thread and thought these strings were quite impressive. I'm sure headrc will find the video very usefull, thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical