The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Default Getting gigs - Promotional tools - Which tablet?

Hi all

I've spent a lot of time this year building up my set list and my stage experience in order to go out and seek solo acoustic covers gigs. While my set up is basic (guitar + mic into TC Helicon Play Acoustic into Yamaha DBR10) it should suffice for most smaller rooms. Now what I really need to focus on is how I pitch myself to prospective venues.

Currently I have a simple, clean-looking website with a "mynamemusic".com URL which contains:
- Landing page
- Info/Bio
- Listen (demos)
- Contact Page

The problem is when you go to meet people, introduce yourself and hand over your card, who knows whether they are going to even look at your site?? So what I would really like is to take some form of tablet with me to show them the site, in particular the demos (which I will upgrade to video ASAP) - I figure if they sound good enough, the manager is FAR more likely to keep my card out instead of throwing it in the bin.

Has anyone used this sort of strategy?

What Tablet(s) would you reccommend? In particular I need a tablet with enough volume and decent sound quality from the in-build speakers to make it easy for my demos to be heard in a bar environment.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Some tablets have louder speaker than others, but some bars ambient noise level is higher than others. I know of no tablet that I would assume would have adequate volume at an adequate quality of sound to use for this.

If they aren't going to go to your website on their own time of their choosing, it may be hard to convince them to listen to your demo, right now, at a time of your choosing. Are you a spectacular live act where the demos are videos of your performance at a live venue? I could see trying to button-hole someone on that basis and say, "Here take a look at this."

Another reason that the tablet might be appropriate would be if your web site is in some other way extraordinarily convincing of your value to the talent booker. I'm not sure what that would be, maybe some evidence easy to show of a substantial audience base perhaps.

Are your demos sound clips only? If so, a tablet may be the wrong tech. A boombox or the equivalent with Bluetooth speakers and any sound source (phone, "Ipod", burned CD, cheapo tablet.

I'm not sure how far to take this advice. I'm quite poor at self-promotion, but it's what makes sense to me.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 AM

Okay. wrong thread.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Meet in person, give them a card.
Get their email & a few days later if they haven't contacted you send a message.
Then a week later go back again.
It's hard getting in the rotation sometimes and it takes persistence without being annoying. I would be leery of bringing a tablet the first meeting as it could come off desperate.
I find once your in if your good, bring a few people out and treat the staff well you'll be getting steady gigs.
By all means put together a good website but sometimes it just comes down to timing. Bars/restaurants usually book in 3 month sections. You catch the person who does the booking on the day they are working on it there's a good chance they'll throw you in.....easier than going through all the emails/cards they have lying around....
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I don't think I've ever walked in off the street and landed a gig on a cold call. And honestly I don't think I've ever gotten one off a business card (although I do carry them all the time). All of my gigs come from contacting a venue either by email or through Facebook and directing them to my Reverbnation.com page. It's good to frequent the businesses that book live music and get to know the decision makers then let them know you're going to send your promo material. They're more likely to listen to you that way. Good luck, booking is the suckyiest part of the job but it's worth it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Yes it's a pain starting from scratch.
I've played in many different bands, duos & solo over the years and have managed to gather up enough contacts that I just email, text or visit and usually get a booking. One place pulls out the calendar and books me for the whole year. I like that as I don't have to worry about it every few months.
One other thing I suggest is if you know any other solo guys around town try to pick their brain for contact names & emails.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

No one ever follows up from a bar, they're too busy and have far too many musicians calling on them.
A nice way in is to sit in with a friend who plays at a location regularly, get known as a musician by the people in the bar.
Be seen there regularly.

But the most important thing, the primary thing the bar is interested in, is how many people are going to come to hear you play. If you can show you'll fill their bar they'll book you. Most musicians think it's about their music, it's not. It's about how much beer are you going to sell.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
No one ever follows up from a bar, they're too busy and have far too many musicians calling on them.

A nice way in is to sit in with a friend who plays at a location regularly, get known as a musician by the people in the bar.

Be seen there regularly.

But the most important thing, the primary thing the bar is interested in, is how many people are going to come to hear you play. If you can show you'll fill their bar they'll book you. Most musicians think it's about their music, it's not. It's about how much beer are you going to sell.

Sadly I have to agree with you...to a point. If you suck the only way you'll get another booking is if you bring out a whack of people & the bar makes $$
If your good and maybe a little different than everyone else playing the same regurgitated material and the staff appreciate you.....you can get away with a few dead nights !
I keep meaning to try to book some wineries or micro breweries. There you are not expected to bring out a crowd.
Also I try to play venues that have an established crowd and I'm not solely responsible for the bar doing well.
Be careful of places that are not doing well and are bringing in music as an attempt to save a dying business....
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Thank you all for your replies and advice

Frank Hudson my plan is to go at quiet times, mid-afternoon is usually good. Once I get a gig at a decent venue I'll put together the live video, but for now it's audio only as nobody wants to see my practice area. As I'm just starting out, no, I don't have any crowd to bring, the website is just a tool to show my demo and contact form, though there are pics of me playing in front of crowds. Nice idea with the bluetooth speaker, I think I'll start with that.

Johnny Guitar thanks for your thoughts, looking desperate is the last thing I want to do, it's more that I want to appear professional and I'm confident in the quality of my sound, what I'm not confident in is whether someone will look at my site without having already been shown evidence that I'm a capable performer

Micks goat Whiskey picks Good idea. I was thinking to do follow-up email but always best to send the e-mail first. It takes very little time, gives them a heads-up and can even save me a trip if I get a reply such as "sorry the manager isn't in on saturdays" or have them nominate a better time.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I don't think I've ever walked in off the street and landed a gig on a cold call. And honestly I don't think I've ever gotten one off a business card (although I do carry them all the time). All of my gigs come from contacting a venue either by email or through Facebook and directing them to my Reverbnation.com page. It's good to frequent the businesses that book live music and get to know the decision makers then let them know you're going to send your promo material. They're more likely to listen to you that way. Good luck, booking is the suckyiest part of the job but it's worth it.
Sage advice right here. I would add, target venues that typically get good crowds. You said you don't have the luxury of bringing a bunch of friends to support you. Ive noticed a trend over the past several years where as more and more venues wanna know what kind of following you have. How many people are gonna come to see you and buy drinks and food and justify the owner hiring you. Years ago venues had reputations for having good music and performers and owners would take a chance on you. Those places still exist but they are becoming harder and harder to find. Like Mick said get a page set up. Owners will take a moment to click on it and give a listen. Visit the place, talk to someone and let them know you will be sending them a link and then follow up. Look legit. Act like you've done this a hundred times before. Offer to open for a larger band or performer. Sometimes places will book a band or performer that goes on at 9:00 or whatever and will put you on at 7:00 or 7:30 as an opening act. Do your thing and stick around and rub elbows with the headliner. You've got to be a politician and a musician at the same time in this day and age.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Even during quiet times, most folks who can actually do the booking aren't waiting around for a stranger to come in the door and make them look at a website or a video on a tablet. If you want to buy a tablet, rock on, but I will be shocked if that tablet gets you any gigs. Not only for the intrusive nature but the almost certain weak presentation. Small screen, tablet speakers?

Persistence and right place, right time are good places to start. Which means making initial contact by the means the venue recommends (look at their website) or in person lacking other guidance. Unless you get lucky, expect to visit more than once before you even see the person that books the band. And if email is the contact method, email pretty often. Always provide your stage name, contact info and links to content.

It also helps to understand your venue market. You probably won't make it into a House of Blues by coming in off of the street and cold calling with a business card...or a tablet. Look at the listings and see who is doing a lot of acts every week that you never heard of or barely heard of. That is the kind of venue that may let you get your foot in the door. If you know any bands and know them well, you might see if you piggy back in on their shows and do a mini set. For low $$$.

These days the venues I am working mostly do bookings via text. Occasionally phone. I don't think I have received an email about a booking in some time. So I suggest you be prepared to do business via text. If someone shows interest in your music, be sure you get their contact info as well as give them yours. Folks in a good mood, get excited and show interest in your music and then later forget about it. You need their contact info to followup and regenerate interest.

Most of the players I know are having the content delivery discussion these days. CDs are about a thing of the past. New cars do not automatically come with CD players. A jump drive with content is probably more useful to most venues. It lacks any visual identification so the best you can do is put it in a sleeve or something with markings associated with the music. Cards with keys that unlock downloads are being used. We still provide CDs but I think we get more response though contact, perseverance, and a web presence with content. I am no fan but get a Facebook page and be active on it. If your website has a calendar feature put everything on it, even if it is the open mics you play.

Probably more, but persistence, right place, right time has worked as well as anything. And text messaging.

hunter
Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 PM

I am not on social media, but if I was in your shoes, that would be my approach. Business cards and email have seem to have been passed over by instagram accounts and the like. I would display your instagram name when you gig or provide your social media accounts when reaching out. Seems like the most modern approach.

Best of luck!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Today it's all about social media and website perception. My significant other is an event planner and many of the basic ideas of bands and photographers are formed on their internet page. And you have to have the RIGHT stuff for your target clientele.

I know all the bands and photographers that get booked and am often blown away by other bands and photographers get passed over. Some of it by published set list (even though they have a book with several hundred tunes). Some outstanding photographers get passed over because they don't SHOW the right photos ON THEIR WEBSITE, but can run circles around others if given a chance to show their depth.

I dunno... Booking is a strange, strange business. And as a musician and photographer I maintain, most people wouldn't know good artistic quality if it came up and bit them on their gluteus maximus. You just have to make searching for gigs a greater proportion of your time. I know- easier said than done. It is what it is.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion