The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Question Fair price for an old Kenny Hill?

I am considering purchase of an old Kenny Hill, Hauser-style guitar. It features the standard "vanilla" measurements and woods. It was built in Paracho, Mexico ('92?) and now has considerable wear on the face 'round the sound hole. I like its timber.

Because there are so many variables in the Kenny Hill catalog, I'm not confident getting a clear idea of it's market value. Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM

I did a quick look at Ebay and Reverb. Guitars made by Kenny Hill that were made in Paracho Mexico have sold in the $1,800 - $2,000 range... Judging by the photo's that were posted, they were all in very good to excellent condition.

Going by your description of the one you are interested in, "it has considerable wear."

My humble thought is a value of about $1,000.

I highly recommend that it be seen by a reputable luthier to make sure that the wear is the only concern and that there are no internal or structural issues with the guitar.

FWIW- According to Kenny Hill's website, he started building guitars in Paracho, Mexico in 1996.

"In 1995 he was invited to Paracho, Mexico as a writer for Acoustic Guitar magazine to cover a master class given by Jose Romanillos for the guitar makers of Paracho. Getting to know both the master Romanillos and the fine guitar makers of Paracho he began to think about what could be done if they had access to better materials, more information, and marketing to the US market. In 1996 he set up a workshop employing some of the fine craftsmen of Paracho, bringing in higher quality materials from the outside and developing a market for these guitars for the next 5 years"
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 PM

As the previous posts suggests, I think you should do a bit of homework on the guitar. There is something wrong with the suggested made date of 1992. Perhaps it was a prototype, but, probably worth a phone call to Hill's shop.

Over time there were several "styles" of Hill's "brand" that were made in Mexico.

Are you talking specifically about the Hill Munich, which Hill modeled after the Hauser?

Curtis
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM

I'm confident that I'm not being misled by the seller; he's also my teacher. The guess at a 1992 manufacture date was a guess on my part. However, I do know it is a Paracho, not a California build. I do know its design is copied from Segovia's Hauser on display in New York. As it has EIR sides and back, that must make it a Munich.

I have to keep reminding myself that I would be buying a guitar, not a name. And this guitar's voice compares favorably (though different) with my Robert Garcia/ Fleta inspired model.

I appreciate y'all's advice to have a dispassionate eye take a look at it. If it checks out, I will probably pay the $1350 being asked. That may be a little high, but I think I can convert the difference into personal capital.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 PM

Good to be buying from a trusted teacher! Due to construction differences, the Fleta and Hauser build styles will indeed sound different.

Enjoy!!

Curtis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical