The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Guest 928

Default Turkeys in Ireland

And so, I'm sitting here, about an hour before thanksgiving dinner, a bit lubricated, thankful for having been born when I was born, where I was born, and so forth. And then, my thoughts turned to my friends and neighbors, and what they had to be thankful for; somewhere in all that I turned to Ireland.

Those Irish have a lot to be thankful for, for example Ireland has close to 2 million turkeys. I don't suppose the turkeys have anything to be thankful for other than the fact that at least they are not the meat of a of national holiday when they are gobbled up by the bazillions. But the Irish appear to have a plenitude of big bird which isfar superior to eating pigeons.

And there's this, the Irish have some of the neatest cold weather gear. I'm a desert rat and I hate cold and I know that Ireland gets very cold--but they have the wool gear to get them through the winter. I'm not Irish and even I am thankful for Irish woolen wear.

The Irish should also be thankful for their continued place in world news. England wants to leave the EU, but first has to resolve Irish issues. I don't know how they do it, but the Irish seem always to have a place in global affairs.

If I was Irish, I would be particularly thankful for having a long tradition of a music that is recognized and influential through the world. And I would be thankful for having instrument makers equal to the quality of the music.

Happy thanksgiving Alistair, Sean, and any other Irish on this forum.

And to all you other contributors--hope your thanksgiving is as good as mine.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and yours, Evan, and to all the good folks on this forum.

This might help with that Irish connection...

https://www.theirishstore.com/blog/2...-thanksgiving/
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

"somewhat lubricated" -- Jameson's, Bushmills or ?
Happy Thanksgiving !
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 AM

Dear Evan,

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Happy Thanksgiving from at the team at Emerald.

Kind Regards,

Sean

“Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” ― W.B. Yeats
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

That was a great read. LOL I was wondering if they even have a Thanksgiving in Ireland?

The one place I want to visit overseas is Ireland.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 AM

They do have many national holidays - but none celebrating the Quakers landing in America and founding a colony... Perhaps they celebrate some sort of "Good riddance to Quakers" holiday with lots of music, dancing, and drinking.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Guest 928

Border Don; Tequila--a long way from Ireland.

Captain; Thank you for a woolen source.

Truck; pretty funny stuff, and perhaps true.

JD; Me too, Jameson's and pub play sounds like fun.

Sean; The Yeats quote is very tasty.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Two of Ireland's great contributions to world peace: Emerald guitars and Jameson's.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And so, I'm sitting here, about an hour before thanksgiving dinner, a bit lubricated, thankful for having been born when I was born, where I was born, and so forth. And then, my thoughts turned to my friends and neighbors, and what they had to be thankful for; somewhere in all that I turned to Ireland.

Those Irish have a lot to be thankful for, for example Ireland has close to 2 million turkeys. I don't suppose the turkeys have anything to be thankful for other than the fact that at least they are not the meat of a of national holiday when they are gobbled up by the bazillions. But the Irish appear to have a plenitude of big bird which isfar superior to eating pigeons.

And there's this, the Irish have some of the neatest cold weather gear. I'm a desert rat and I hate cold and I know that Ireland gets very cold--but they have the wool gear to get them through the winter. I'm not Irish and even I am thankful for Irish woolen wear.

The Irish should also be thankful for their continued place in world news. England wants to leave the EU, but first has to resolve Irish issues. I don't know how they do it, but the Irish seem always to have a place in global affairs.

If I was Irish, I would be particularly thankful for having a long tradition of a music that is recognized and influential through the world. And I would be thankful for having instrument makers equal to the quality of the music.

Happy thanksgiving Alistair, Sean, and any other Irish on this forum.

And to all you other contributors--hope your thanksgiving is as good as mine.
Perhaps it's because I'm not "lubricated" but I really don't get the connection between Thanksgiving and a country that does not celebrate the holiday in any way, or turkeys in Ireland to carbon guitars. Oh well, here's wishing you an yours a wonderful holiday season none the less, Evan. I hope it's your best yet.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM

You likely missed the article mentioned above . . . . . . .

https://www.theirishstore.com/blog/2...-thanksgiving/
Old 11-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Now I want some Jameson's !!
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

Ted;

Thank you for the well wishing. It was perhaps not the best, but it was a good Thanksgiving that found me particularly appreciative. My father died at 27 and here I am at 75--I view my survival as kind of a miracle. And I'm at my brother-in-law's house--he's a phenomenal cook and has a smart witty wife. And the best part is I'm with my lovely and patient wife of 51 years. And we're travelling with a great dog. I'm thankful for a lot of reasons.

As the Captain and AC point out, there is some basis for including the Irish in my thoughts. But turkeys were the real reason for including the Irish--they have 2 million of those big birds. That sort of links them to all of us turkey eaters. It seems to me that there are turkeys everywhere; I'd bet that LA county has its share.

Anyway, I'm also thankful for you. You helped me into my first Cf guitar and have been a treasure trove of CF information. I hope your Thanksgiving was as good as mine.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Appreciate the kind words, Evan. I didn't click on any links, I was simply responding to your post, which brought a smile to my face.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving so far, Evan. I too am enjoying the time off, and being around my family. Seems like we both have plenty to be thankful for.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Now I want some Jameson's !!
Nope jdinco...The 2nd greatest gift from the land of leprechauns has got to be "Irish coffee" made with Bushmills...
I'll leave it to your imagination what #1 is though...LOL...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber