The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem and Martin Factory Electronics Dilemna

I've spent hours researching and trying to get good info but am not satisfied. Here's my problem:

I want to buy a Martin D-35 with a 1-3/4" nut width. I'm considering the factory electronics, since I do plan to use the guitar live.
The standard D-35 comes with a 1-11/16" nut width. The D-35E has the 1-3/4" nut width.

Great - the D-35E has the right width for me. But I'm concerned about the electronics. I'd prefer to get a straight up acoustic instrument, unmodified, and add the least invasive system I can. I'm a bit of a purist with acoustic instruments and prefer a natural, unmodified, pure dreadnought, when recording or playing acoustic. And though I want to be able to plug in whichever guitar I buy, I just don't know how much modification goes into the the factory set-up.

At the price point, I can't buy 2 guitars and I definitely want a D-35 (and want to order this week, while prices are low).

I'm pretty sure the D-35E will come with an LR Baggs Anthem setup. I've tried to find pics and an explanation of what modifications are made to the 'natural dreadnought' for installing this system, but information is scant. It seems like most of the setup is achieved with some stick-on glue stuff, so most components could feasibly be removed with minimal effort. But what about the end pin, where you plug in? The only picture I've been able to find of a FACTORY system has a black plastic piece that looks like it may be a battery compartment? Is that correct? If this was ever removed, how much of the side body around the endpin has been cut?

Here's a sweetwater listing for a D-18 with an LR Baggs system. The 6th pic shows the plastic piece I speak of:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MD18ELRBaggs

Pictures of just an aftermarket LR Baggs system show a different endpin altogether.

So my questions are: How invasive is and what modifications does the FACTORY LR Baggs anthem system make? Are there less invasive aftermarket options? If I ever did remove it entirely, how close to a pure acoustic D-35 will my guitar be?

It's also a drag that the standard D-35 comes with that 1-11/16" nut width. A custom D-35 is likely 6 months away. The only other option seems to be the Seth Avett edition, but that has a PA neck, not a modified oval.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:25 PM

No idea, but Ill point you to ask Bob Colosi from guitarsaddles.com

He's a dealer for the L.R. Baggs pickup and he'll know alot about it.

But if youre just wondering how much of an invasive procedure is done (i.e. barn doors, battery pack compartment,etc), Im sure other people with it installed will come to your aid
Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

The Anthem install is not really invasive at all.

The endpin has to be replaced with a 1/4" guitar cord socket, and that requires having a bit more diameter to the hole than your normal strap pin... ANY internal pickup (and many soundhole pickups) will employ this sort of "jack" on that end pin housing. There are "vintage" jacks available, but they use a 1/8" cable end, and those have a reputation for being easy to damage... not to mention having special cables to adapt to that 1/8" plug...

The Anthem has a piece under the saddle called the Element. It fits under the saddle and requires a small hole to be drilled in the underside edge of the bridge for the wire to slip through... nothing that would alter the sound of the guitar if the Anthem were removed. The saddle height would either need to be shimmed or a new saddle cut and installed... again, not a huge deal breaker or expense.

The True-Mic portion of the Anthem is affixed to the bridgeplate inside the guitar and can be removed fairly easily. The big "pie-shaped" control inside the soundhole is stuck there with two-sided tape, an easy removal.

If you plan on playing the guitar amplified a LOT, the Anthem is a very good sounding system, BUT, installing it did change the tone and volume of my old Mark Angus F-40 (1979). I was aghast at the noticeable loss of volume, but in all fairness, the volume seemed to return within about 6-9 months. The tone shift has remained, however.

I have the Anthem SL in my two main "stage" guitars; if I didn't "play out" and love the way they sounded, I wouldn't leave them in my guitars.

A good piece of news is that the Anthem (the bigger model) retails for $300, and could be sold very easily for $200, I should think.

All in all, the alterations necessary to install the Anthem can be brought back to unamplified without much trouble or expense...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-17-2017, 07:02 PM

I just put an anthem in my Larrivee p09 that did not come with electronics. It's fairly low impact and the sound is wonderful. I also happen to have a d35 that I play as my main guitar and wouldn’t hesitate to put an anthem in it if I wasn’t so happy with what I’ve already got in there.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

That big plastic piece on the end is, indeed a large hole. The endpin is drilled out to 1/4" to accommodate the jack for the amplifier. The larger plastic is access to the 9V battery which powers the preamp for the pickup and the mic. It requires routing a hole in the tail piece. If that bothers you, pick a plain D-35 and install a less invasive system. Good news is that's how Sweetwater did it. A normal LR Baggs Anthem installation has the battery pack attached inside the guitar with double-sided tape - no drilling, cutting, or whatever.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM

ChalkLitIScream - Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact him if I don't get the info I need here.

jseth - Thanks for the detailed reply. When I've searched for just the Anthem set-up as a stand alone retail item, it is as you described, where the endpin is just replaced by a 1/4" socket. I can abide that.

But what concerns/confuses me is the 6th picture in the sweetwater link in my original post. It claims to be a factory Anthem setup, but the 6th picture shows something more substantial than just a 1/4' input. It has the Martin Logo on it, so it's factory.

Maybe it's an older version of the anthem? It looks to me like a battery compartment. I found the installation manual for the Anthem and it mentions a 'battery bag' that sticks on somehow. It has me wondering if Martin uses their own battery compartment instead of the 'battery bag'. That was the only picture of the endpin on a factory Martin that I could find. None of the dealers seem to show the electronics in their listings.

If that picture is an error and the factory setup is actually as you described, and easy to remove, it'll probably be the best bet over all. However, if Martin cuts away more side board for some kind of factory battery compartment, I may just keep looking for a custom D-35 with a 1-3/4" nut width.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
That big plastic piece on the end is, indeed a large hole. The endpin is drilled out to 1/4" to accommodate the jack for the amplifier. The larger plastic is access to the 9V battery which powers the preamp for the pickup and the mic. It requires routing a hole in the tail piece. If that bothers you, pick a plain D-35 and install a less invasive system. Good news is that's how Sweetwater did it. A normal LR Baggs Anthem installation has the battery pack attached inside the guitar with double-sided tape - no drilling, cutting, or whatever.
The battery compartment does bother me. In a reply I just made, I mentioned reading about a 'battery bag' in the Anthem installation pdf. That's more appealing to me. I don't like the sideboard being cut apart.

The problem with a plain D-35 is that, for whatever reason, Martin puts a 1-11/16" nut width on those, while going with a 1-3/4" for the D-35E. I want the 1-3/4" neck, so, the plain D-35 is the right guitar, with the wrong neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion