The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Favorite Picks - Photos

Here are mine:

What are yours?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM

Wegenpicks M150

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 PM

And

Buffalo horn 150’s

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default These are my faves

somewhere n this mail s a pic (sic) of a BC TAD50, a Wegen TF140, a Dunlop purple 1.14 which I've polished and added speed bevels and a D'andrea Pro-Plec 1.5 m/m which I've similarly modified. I really think that the 346 large triangle is the best of all deals - three less pointy points, and more to hold onto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0587.jpg (22.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM

I want one of these;

So I can keep it here like this;

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I want one of these;

So I can keep it here like this;

Thanks for the best chuckle I've had today, Bruce!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Old 12-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Two Blue Chip picks and some that I made myself out of water buffalo horn . . .

Old 12-15-2017, 04:09 PM

My main workhorse flatpick is the D'Andrea Classic Celluloid in medium-heavy gauge. The one shown here has no gauge printed on it, but I find that the medium-heavies give me enough flexibility to play effective rhythm parts, but enough rigidity to give me good tone on lead lines. I also can and do grip the pick in different places and with different amounts of squeeze, which also affects the tone.

D'Andrea Classic Celluloid

I've been using these picks for all the instruments I play since I discovered them in 1979. I used to carry a bunch of different picks with to gigs with me, and was enough of a fussbudget to have special picks for certain songs. But when you're playing a gig with a roomful of people who don't CARE whether you get the exact timbre you planned for a song, it's just much easier to carry a pocketful of picks that are all the same that you can manipulate and use to coax those tones out.

Which I learned how to do. Use the point, use the rounded edges, squeeze it tight, hold it looser, grip close to the edge, grip it more in the middle - all of those techniques will give you different sounds once you learn how to deploy them.

I'm to the point where I can do all that virtually unconsciously, just automatically using whichever grip that point in the song calls for, in the same way that I palm-mute and play closer to or further from the bridge. I've internalized those techniques to the point where I quite literally don't have to think about them.

For those who are interested in celluloid picks, be aware that D'Andrea's Classic Celluloid pick series has apparently been replaced by their "Vintage" picks; I haven't seen any Classic Celluloid picks in music stores for several years now. This is what the Vintage Celluloid picks look like now:

D'Andrea Vintage Celluloid pick

As I mentioned earlier in this post, I use these picks on every instrument I play, which includes mandolin. Using one of the pick's rounded edges and a strong grip, they work just fine on mandolin. But the double cheese-slicer string courses of the mandolin really chew up the edges of celluloid picks in no time at all.

So when Blue Chip picks came out, despite what I saw as their appallingly expensive price, their reported durability interested me. To make a long story short, I decided to be a brave boy and buy a couple in two different gauges to see whether I could make them work for what I do.

Short version: yes, I could. I didn't care for the TD-40, which didn't work for me, but the TD-35 fits my playing style perfectly:

˙˙˙

Naturally, at $35 a pop, I was concerned about losing such expensive picks. The good Lord knows that my celluloid picks go on walkabout on a regular basis. I find them all OVER the place, and I have to ask myself: "What are they seeking? Romance? Spiritual enlightenment? Really good deals on Bluetooth speakers?"

So my solution to that problem was to buy one of the little wooden pick boxes that Blue Chip also offers for a staggering ten dollars:

A Blue Chip pick (not one of mine) nestled in its little wooden box...

Ever since I bought that first pair of picks from Blue Chip (and traded off the TD-40 to my buddy Mycroft,) I've gradually acquired a few more, keeping a pair of TD-35's in one of those little boxes in the case pockets of the instruments of mine that get gigged out most frequently. I also put 3 or 4 celluloid picks in the boxes with the Blue Chips.

I probably have seven or eight TD-35's by now. With mandolin they're absolutely my first choice, because they don't get eaten up by the strings the way celluloid picks do. I also like them a lot on my acoustic baritone guitar, and probably use a TD-35 on that instrument 85% of the time.

With my standard six strings it's probably 50% of the time, because there's kind of a freewheeling, driving rhythm guitar sound that's easiest to get using celluloid.

Interestingly, the Blue Chips don't work well on my mountain dulcimers at all, even though the flex characteristics of the TD-35 are very similar to the slight flex of the D'Andrea Classic Celluloid .84 mm. But my right hand position is very different on dulcimer than on all those other instruments, and for some reason the differences that do exist between celluloid and whatever material the Blue Chips are made of becomes strikingly obvious. On dulcimer, celluloid absolutely works better.

So I don't bother with the Blue Chip on dulcimer.

On everything else, though, it's great. Not only do they sound good, but they are, in fact, as durable as reported. I've been using them constantly for at least three or four years now, and none of the Blue Chip picks in my possession have developed any ragged edges that will give a raggedy-sounding tone. So I do recommend them: if not for mountain dulcimer (which is probably not a major concern for most of you,) for everything else.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 PM

A few.

A shortened and re-beveled 4mm John Pearse. Probably best I've found in all categories.

In an inexpensive pick, A Primetone 1.5mm that has been re-shaped to offer three different point profiles and, again, re-beveled. Probably best you can get under $10.

Fender Extra heavy Tru-Shell. Again, re-shaped and re-beveled. Good inexpensive casein pick, works well but more expensive than Primetone and not quite the performance of the John Pearse.

Best under $0.75 pick, Fender 346 celluloid re-shaped to a tri-point and re-beveled. These actually work very well and are cheap and available.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Default Pick reshaping

What tools do you use and what is your procedure to reshape guitar pick, celluloid and tortoise shell.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_picker View Post
What tools do you use and what is your procedure to reshape guitar pick, celluloid and tortoise shell.
Re-shaping is easiest with a 3M sponge sanding block in a fine grit. Beveling can be done with emery boards or a fine file. Use a manicurist 4 sided sponge shaping block to do final smoothing and remove any scratches or burrs. Final step is to finely polish the edges with a felt bullet tip bit and some polishing compound using a Dremel type tool.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Guest 1928

These cover most everything I need.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
These cover most everything I need.

Beautiful shot, Todd.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion