The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Mr. Hyde string straightens up and flies right.

A temporary anomaly after having replaced an adjustable bridge on an 80s Epiphone. I had the use of a hefty blank of bone, fit it just right, assisted by a guitar top that is actually flat. I compensated the saddle, went about the shaping process in my usual manner, so why was the 5 string going distressingly dull on the 12 fret? Son of a... The strings had been through a couple of pin removals, so maybe one had 'given up the ghost'. Next morning I noticed that the string had adapted and come into tune at the 12 fret, and the other strings remained in their good order. Reason suggests that the 5 string was initially out of sorts where it rides over my shaping of the saddle - the nut slots are untouched by me and don't crimp the strings. I've probably made a couple of hundred saddles, and was caught off guard when at least one law of the universe suddenly, if temporarily, deviated.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 PM

I am genuinely confused by this post....
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 PM

The guitar gods are toying with your head.... or whatever you're on, lay off for a while!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 PM

I can relate... it's wood. I read a thread awhile back about frets sticking out at the ends and retracting due to room conditions, even had a name for it that, escapes me now but these guitars can move all over the place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair