The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 AM

Default Indian Rosewood is better than most exotic Rosewoods

Tried various guitars with exotic Rosewoods, generally upcharges, can't help but feel many of them have more mids than EIR or are slightly brighter, not as bassy sounding as EIR. Take Madagacar Rosewood or Guatemalan Rosewood, for example. I tried them on several custom Martins and several Authentics (I created my username when I owned one myself), just can't help but feel they have a sharp brightness to them, whether it's in the trebles or the mids I can't quite put my finger on it, that EIR doesn't seem to have as much of.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

It's not better, you just like it better. Is steak better than chocolate?

It's like everything else. Among common woods, it boils down to preferences.

Some of the best sounding guitars I've played are EIR (my Taylor, a few Goodalls). Some of the best are BRW. Or ABW. Or Guatemalan RW. Or Macassar ebony. Etc.

There are woods we probably all agree wouldn't make a good guitar. But within the realm of standard woods, there's no better or worse, just personal preference and inherent variability between pieces of wood.

Also, if all you've tried are Martins, you may want to try other brands and see (hear) what they do with various rosewoods. It could be illuminating.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 AM

Some may still consider India to be quite exotic
Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Not to me..............

I've had some great EIR Martins (HD-28V, D-28 Marquis, OM-28V, OM-42...) but I'll take "good" Madagascar, all things being equal, every day of the week.

EIR on "some" dreads can be muddy, too boomy, that reputation exists, exaggerated in most cases but I've experienced it with a couple Martins.

"To me" Madagascar/Brazilian/Amazon all have a cleaner/tighter low end than EIR, and offer a bit more definition versus EIR warmth.

But, this is better than that? No, every guitar in my little retirement collection has different tone woods, absolutely intentional, and interestingly no EIR except for a stage guitar (GPCPA1).

EIR better than most exotic rosewoods, not to me, to each their own..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Tried various guitars with exotic Rosewoods, generally upcharges, can't help but feel many of them have more mids than EIR or are slightly brighter, not as bassy sounding as EIR. Take Madagacar Rosewood or Guatemalan Rosewood, for example. I tried them on several custom Martins and several Authentics (I created my username when I owned one myself), just can't help but feel they have a sharp brightness to them, whether it's in the trebles or the mids I can't quite put my finger on it, that EIR doesn't seem to have as much of.
Oh, come on now! We all know that the best Rosewood is Mahogany!

Seriously though, while I think your assessment of the sound coming from the different rosewoods is generally accurate, I don't think that makes any one the best. You want thick (some say muddy) bass-->Indian Rosewood. You want sharp (some say brittle) trebles-->Madagascar Rosewood. etc.

I say, you want the best sounding guitar possible-->old mahogany Ok, Ok, some of those old Brazilian rosewood guitars sound really good too.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Tried various guitars with exotic Rosewoods, generally upcharges, can't help but feel many of them have more mids than EIR or are slightly brighter, not as bassy sounding as EIR.
If your intent was to start a flame war I think you might be successful.

If your intent was to insist that your ears are better than everyone's reading this I suspect you might have slightly less success.

Good luck, I think you'll need it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Come on now, don't take marble for granite. I used to think that EIR was the best sounding for me too. But then I got my hands on a really nice piece of BRW, and those highs and lows you speak of, I call ringing, and man does it ring of highs, mids and lows. Of course, it helps to have a lutheir that can perform magic.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
We all know that the best Rosewood is Mahogany!
Agreed...

Authentic, I assume you're just stating your opinion because it's a matter of personal preference. A lot depends on the maker, but generally I'd rather play Madagascar or Coco more than EIR. Fortunately, there are lot of good guitars made from a wide variety of woods.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:56 AM

I'm not too committed to the idea that the wood is vital. I have guitars made of the same wood combinations that are vastly different in character. Have to think its the woodworker more than the wood.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

It's 'good' that you have realised that EIR gives you the "bassy sounding" guitars that you like. Not all of us would agree that this alone is a desirable attribute. Fortunately there is variety in the sounds available and the preferences of players.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm not too committed to the idea that the wood is vital. I have guitars made of the same wood combinations that are vastly different in character. Have to think its the woodworker more than the wood.
Yes, I sometimes feel that such fine differences between tonewoods fall into a similar category as wine connoisseurship: did that presumptuous little burgundy what I just shlurped (hic!) really have hints of huckleberry and sawgrass, or was it all just my imagination ...
Old 04-15-2017, 08:10 AM

It's only a matter of time before EIR itself becomes an "exotic" rosewood, thanks to the latest CITES restriction.

I think if you had said "I like Indian Rosewood more than most exotic Rosewoods" you would've gotten no arguments.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM

My favorite rosewood for tone is EIR. That fact has saved me a LOT of money over the years!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 AM

I agree that the builder is most important.

If EIR was as hard to get and as expensive as Brazilian or Madagascar, then you would probably see it get more praise. Sometimes rarity makes something more appealing than the content if you can afford it or put stock into that sort of
Thing.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM

In spite of the new CITES rules, I don't think IRW will ever be considered as exotic as other rosewoods. IRW has been planted to shade tea plantations for over 100 years. As long as people drink tea, the supply should be there.
If you like deep bass, then you should like IRW. I prefer brighter sounding guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion