The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Do chord players realize what they're missing...

...just a passing thought. I used to be a strict chord player hiding under the moniker of "rhythm guitarist", just singing country songs, but one day it all changed and I can't imagine going back. To be plain there is nothing wrong with just chucking chords and singing country but knowing what I know now it seems like I wasted a lot of time. There is something special about singing your own songs, your own arrangements, playing the rhythm and get this, playing the crazy solos as well, from beginning to end. I guess it's the satisfaction of not needing anyone else to make a big sound and when playing with others easily being able to kick back and handle whatever is lacking. So back to it, do they even realize? Feel free to comment in a freindly way...as this is just a passing thought.

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 05-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I guess Im one of those chord rhythm players if I had to categorise myself. I enjoy it. However Im definitely looking to learn all styles and approaches.

I think your point is that its good to know the full spectrum of what your guitar and yourself are capable of, and I agree with that.

But I know that I will always love strumming and playing rhythm, backing a singer or myself.

Its alll good
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM

the question is....

how do you branch off to other styles? I think a lot of people have trouble with that...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
I guess Im one of those chord rhythm players if I had to categorise myself. I enjoy it. However Im definitely looking to learn all styles and approaches.

I think your point is that its good to know the full spectrum of what your guitar and yourself are capable of, and I agree with that.

But I know that I will always love strumming and playing rhythm, backing a singer or myself.

Its alll good
Ditto.

Well, it was country.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM

I think anybody who limits themselves to one way of attacking the guitar is missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Yeah man, guitar is so versatile....try everything!!!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Maybe a little self centric to imply that "just strumming chords" is of a lower pecking order than other styles that you may have moved on to. Firstly, it's all down to to what you, as an individual wants to do, and feels happy with. Secondly - and this is an important point - you can have an excellent singer/chord player who is a much better entertainer than someone who 'does more'. More is not always better. And that is never more true than in the music industry, and particularly, where guitar playing is concerned. Granted, the guitarist himself may feel more rewarded or fulfilled, but if you're performing, it's all about how well you entertain that audience, and that can be done with a great voice, intelligent choice of songs, and good, solid, simple guitar playing with feel and dynamics, good tone and good amplification.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Do chord players realize what they're missing...
IMO.....HECK YEAH! I don't believe anyone who's serious about playing guitar EVER thinks, "I'll just learn a few chords and I'll be happy".
In fact I've had a few "would be" students that had no interest in chord's or guitar basics whatsoever. They wanted to go straight into lead soloing. I know being able to play solo's was always my goal. I think people who profess to being satisfied w/just playing chords are either not THAT interested in guitar. Or are putting up a front to hide their feelings of being inferior.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
...just a passing thought. I used to be a strict chord player hiding under the moniker of "rhythm guitarist", just singing country songs, but one day it all changed and I can't imagine going back. To be plain there is nothing wrong with just chucking chords and singing country but knowing what I know now it seems like I wasted a lot of time. There is something special about singing your own songs, your own arrangements, playing the rhythm and get this, playing the crazy solos as well, from beginning to end. I guess it's the satisfaction of not needing anyone else to make a big sound and when playing with others easily being able to kick back and handle whatever is lacking. So back to it, do they even realize? Feel free to comment in a freindly way...as this is just a passing thought.
Well, when you were strictly a chord player, did you realize what you were missing?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM

I like playing lead, but I also love some powerful chords mixed in there.. especially on acoustic. I must admit that I want to learn more technical stuff for soloing, though. That's my goal for the next year or so.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM

probably not- but thats how we all pretty much start -if they go further thats the normal route (I guess ) But i hate buying guitars from the folks who only know 3-5 chords -you can bet they wear out the first 3-4 frets on a guitar - but the world revolves with all kinds of people in it .
Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 AM

I reckon Malcolm Young from AC/DC has been happy doing nothing but cutting chords for the last 30 odd years.

And what awesome chords they were .. or still are.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM

To each his own, I guess. If someone finds personal satisfaction in strumming 4-6 chords and if it helps them put a little more love back into the world, then I'm all for it. Who am I to judge?

And FWIW, when I'm at a guitar store, I'd much rather listen to someone strumming through those same 4-6 chords than hear a butchering of the intro to "Sweet Child of Mine" with their amp on 11.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

I kinda had the same thought. Then, following some advices from this forum I listened to Nick Drake's Pink Moon and I changed my mind.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
I reckon Malcolm Young from AC/DC has been happy doing nothing but cutting chords for the last 30 odd years.

And what awesome chords they were .. or still are.
I think Malcolm plays more than just chords. People just don't realize it. He can play every bit as good as Angus. He just let Angus play lead for the show. BTW, Malcolm is the brains and leader of the group.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion