The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering. GC matches/ beats any advertised price on anything. Even online prices. Plus you get an extra 10% of the difference off the lower price. So I wouldn't dismiss GC so quickly. Especially if you are just looking for like a 314 or something along those lines.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmkr22 View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering. GC matches/ beats any advertised price on anything. Even online prices. Plus you get an extra 10% of the difference off the lower price. So I wouldn't dismiss GC so quickly. Especially if you are just looking for like a 314 or something along those lines.
"advertised" is the key word her ofcourse gc will beat advertised pricing...you dont get the deals through advertised prices...they are the same all over..its when u contact the stores u get big discounts....gc may not want to match them since they are not "advertised"
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaboodram1 View Post
"advertised" is the key word her ofcourse gc will beat advertised pricing...you dont get the deals through advertised prices...they are the same all over..its when u contact the stores u get big discounts....gc may not want to match them since they are not "advertised"
Very true. But I am not sure how low these mom and pop stores can go before their profit gets close to nothing. Amazon.com usually has the cheapest prices around. And generally places like wildwood and elderly advertise most of their prices online as well. GC will beat those. So unless you spend months hunting for some pretty far and few between deals where you might save a bill or two, GC still has some pretty competitive pricing.

But there are definitely some deals to be had out there. Its just a matter of looking. I just think that GCs new policy to beat any "advertised price" is still a pretty good deal.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM

I wonder if the guy bought a guitar. Probably bought it, sold it, and is now on number 4.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmkr22 View Post
Very true. But I am not sure how low these mom and pop stores can go before their profit gets close to nothing. Amazon.com usually has the cheapest prices around. And generally places like wildwood and elderly advertise most of their prices online as well. GC will beat those. So unless you spend months hunting for some pretty far and few between deals where you might save a bill or two, GC still has some pretty competitive pricing.

But there are definitely some deals to be had out there. Its just a matter of looking. I just think that GCs new policy to beat any "advertised price" is still a pretty good deal.
The prices that places like Elderly advertise are usually not their lowest price, though (MAP policies at play) You're still better off contacting them for the best deal, which is likely better than what GC is willing/able to meet. The mom and pop stores, many times, can go so low because they don't have to deal with the overhead that GC has, such as multiple employees in each department, daily maintenance, stock volumes, etc.

I've NEVER seen or heard of a single Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or any big box chain beat the prices from Wildwood (Music or Guitars) Guitar Rodeo, MFG, LA Guitar Sales, etc on a new Taylor guitar. Maybe on used/NOS/closeout, but not the fresh stuff. In fact, when I lived near Wildwood Music in Ohio and was shopping for my Taylor I mentioned their price on a 700 series to the guy at the Columbus Guitar Center and he was shocked. Flat out said he couldn't match it.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
The prices that places like Elderly advertise are usually not their lowest price, though (MAP policies at play) You're still better off contacting them for the best deal, which is likely better than what GC is willing/able to meet. The mom and pop stores, many times, can go so low because they don't have to deal with the overhead that GC has, such as multiple employees in each department, daily maintenance, stock volumes, etc.

I've NEVER seen or heard of a single Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or any big box chain beat the prices from Wildwood (Music or Guitars) Guitar Rodeo, MFG, LA Guitar Sales, etc on a new Taylor guitar. Maybe on used/NOS/closeout, but not the fresh stuff. In fact, when I lived near Wildwood Music in Ohio and was shopping for my Taylor I mentioned their price on a 700 series to the guy at the Columbus Guitar Center and he was shocked. Flat out said he couldn't match it.

Bel isi,
-kyle
my point exactly :-)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 AM

I bought my Taylor from the Sarasota Guitar Company.

Great prices and excellent customer service: http://sarasotaguitarcompany.com
Old 03-04-2018, 11:51 PM

Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question, but even after reading a bunch of relevant posts here and elsewhere, I'm still confused by the pricing I'm finding online and would appreciate any advice and insight.

I'm seriously interested in a Taylor 710e (WSB), which in their October 2017 Price List (no 2018 list yet), lists the MSRP at $3,099. $3,099 is also the price every retailer is listing it for. So what am I missing? Retailers are seriously selling at MSRP on Taylors like Apple computers? I assume there must be haggle room, but if so how much should I offer?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question, but even after reading a bunch of relevant posts here and elsewhere, I'm still confused by the pricing I'm finding online and would appreciate any advice and insight.

I'm seriously interested in a Taylor 710e (WSB), which in their October 2017 Price List (no 2018 list yet), lists the MSRP at $3,099. $3,099 is also the price every retailer is listing it for. So what am I missing? Retailers are seriously selling at MSRP on Taylors like Apple computers? I assume there must be haggle room, but if so how much should I offer?

Thanks,

Matt
Check out our forum sponsors. They will give you a better deal. You just need to ask. For example, I just looked up a 710 dread with the burst finish and LA guitar sales has them for $200 less than the Taylor advertised price.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 AM

Thanks. LA is literally the only shop I'd found for less than MSRP. I asked another retailer if they were seriously asking MSRP and the ridiculous reply was "We might be able to discount. What price are you trying to be at?"
Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Matt

Not sure were you are located but if you are by a dealer who hosts the Taylor road show you might be able to get a killer deal. I seen as much as 20- 30% off of retail pricing.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-05-2018, 02:36 AM

Interesting. It appears Taylor no longer is using an MSRP anywhere, but only a MAP “street” price. The 30+% discount really won’t apply to anything we can see anymore.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Check out our forum sponsors. They will give you a better deal. You just need to ask. For example, I just looked up a 710 dread with the burst finish and LA guitar sales has them for $200 less than the Taylor advertised price.
I have found Wildwood Music and Tobias Music generally quite very good prices. LA Guitar Sales and Elderly Music generally initially quote higher, but are willing to later match or beat other dealers.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 AM

The question, "Who has the best price?" is a broken question.
The better question is, "Who gets the best price?".

The answer, of course, is she/he with the best negotiating skills.

Last edited by Tico; 03-05-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. LA is literally the only shop I'd found for less than MSRP. I asked another retailer if they were seriously asking MSRP and the ridiculous reply was "We might be able to discount. What price are you trying to be at?"
You can't go wrong purchasing from LA Guitar Sales, but you also can't blame a dealer for the answer given above if you did pose your question as stated. I would ask "What's the best price you can offer for a Taylor 710e with Western Sunburst?"
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion