The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
mickthemiller, that is a very pretty guitar! Glad it worked for you in the end. In my not so humble opinion, Furch OMs are pretty hard to beat. Just been having a quick play on mine before breakfast!
You're lucky you have two
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 06-20-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Quote:
mickthemiller, that is a very pretty guitar! Glad it worked for you in the end. In my not so humble opinion, Furch OMs are pretty hard to beat. Just been having a quick play on mine before breakfast!
You're lucky you have two
The other one is my wife's and we don't live together any more so...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
The other one is my wife's and we don't live together any more so...
Oh sorry for that (and for the very late answer , as I didn't notice your post). I remember her 23 SF looked gorgeous
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I have just spent 10 minutes typing in my second impressions - see above for first. I pressed a key and it all disappeared. Windows 10 has been nothing but trouble since I accepted the free offer.

Anyway, suffice to say, I sat with the guitar last evening and decided, with my wife's input (she likes it, wow) to keep it. I set to this morning, took off the trans pickgaurd, cleaned the top, put a new pickguard on (see pics), lowered the saddle, cleaned and oiled the fretboard, put on new strings D'Addario EJ26 - 11s (by the way I always do put new strings on guitars, it's just that this guitar didn't immediately wow me so I was a bit negative). Now she's all set up and she is a beauty. It just took a bit of settling in. I really expected it to knock me out when I first strummed it, I'm a bit of a first impressions guy.

To sum up and add to yesterday's description, it really is a well made and well finished guitar. Can't fault at all. And the tone! I have had a few other OM and 000 guitars and it was always the tone that put me off, not much of it really. This guitar is like the Yorkshire Terrier that thinks it's a Rottweiler. It's an OM that thinks it's a dread. It seems to have the tone when played hard and soft - it's lovely.

I have put some pics up - hope they happen.

Hey Mick I would be glad to have your impressions about your OM 21 SW now that you have played it for a while, no regrets keeping it ?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry for that (and for the very late answer , as I didn't notice your post). I remember her 23 SF looked gorgeous
It's OK - we're working on things at the moment and spend a lot of time together, we're just not living together at the moment. And yes, it is a very pretty guitar - though of course I think my OM34SR is even nicer...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hey Mick I would be glad to have your impressions about your OM 21 SW now that you have played it for a while, no regrets keeping it ?
Same here, how's it working out for you now?

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM

I found mine in trade a few months back. I think the dry maple comparison is apt. I miss the sonics of a larger instrument (my elbow doesn’t), but it’s a *remarkable* guitar with a very definite voice/personality. The sustain and harmonic shimmer are not dissimilar to a Lowden. In that sense, it takes a different mindset/approach than a Martin or Taylor, and would be a killer complement and not overlapping at all to have both. If I can save up and track down a 95/96 410, I'll have my personal bases well covered.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
I found mine in trade a few months back. I think the dry maple comparison is apt. I miss the sonics of a larger instrument (my elbow doesn’t), but it’s a *remarkable* guitar with a very definite voice/personality. The sustain and harmonic shimmer are not dissimilar to a Lowden. In that sense, it takes a different mindset/approach than a Martin or Taylor, and would be a killer complement and not overlapping at all to have both. If I can save up and track down a 95/96 410, I'll have my personal bases well covered.
You mean you have an OM 21 SW? Sorry I didn't the comparison with maple (not my native language), you mean it sounds much like a maple guitar?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Johan,

I do have an OM21SW, and I was agreeing with the comment in the fourth post: there’s an unmistakable clarity about the thing that reminds me of a well executed maple guitar. I hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
Johan,

I do have an OM21SW, and I was agreeing with the comment in the fourth post: there’s an unmistakable clarity about the thing that reminds me of a well executed maple guitar. I hope this helps.
Ok thanks , I love good maple guitars, but have never played a Furch maple one, and it's always a bit scary to buy a maple guitar without having played it first ...
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM

Surprised to see this thread reappear after so long. I kept the Furch for only a short while. A Martin 00015m came up for a reasonable price, it is a beauty. Then I got the chance of an Eastman e6om at a knock down price. So the Furch went. For those who are interested, the Eastman and the Martin are, in my opinion, better than the Furch.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Surprised to see this thread reappear after so long. I kept the Furch for only a short while. A Martin 00015m came up for a reasonable price, it is a beauty. Then I got the chance of an Eastman e6om at a knock down price. So the Furch went. For those who are interested, the Eastman and the Martin are, in my opinion, better than the Furch.
Sorry to hear that, I usually hear the opposite, maybe you've been unlucky with that one, glad anyway that you enjoy your Martin and Eastman !
Jackson US Soloist

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion