The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM

A super unique instrument.
Well done
Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bro, I really like what the finish did. Most noticeable is the pale section in the center (of the back). It came alive! Fantastic.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
What a beaut! Looks wonderful black and yellow, imho...

Very cool instrument! Nice work guys!!!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Brother Paul...my "Kinnaird brother" from another mother .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
A super unique instrument.
Well done
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Bro, I really like what the finish did. Most noticeable is the pale section in the center (of the back). It came alive! Fantastic.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I saw that too, but once you mentioned it, you're right it really made that aspect take on new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice Woody. Purdy! Not sure but I think Tony's lights are causing some of that tint. I noticed that with mine too.
Dennis, I agree. I knew from the start that the wood would take on a more golden hue with finish. John and I have discussed several ideas long before now of how we will finish the neck to compliment that very aspect. But to your point, honestly I too have noticed that the pics from Tony never show much other than (as Steve pointed out) how the wood pops under finish. What Tony's pics don't show is how the red aspects pop out under finish as in these pics it looks a bit more brown...again likely a product of his lighting. The cherry guitar that John built for me a while back had some red in it and in person it jumped off the page in a very delightful way.

Whatever the case, I think this will be an awesome guitar and I'm certain it will be really cool in "normal" light.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
The cherry guitar that John built for me a while back had some red in it and in person it jumped off the page in a very delightful way.

Whatever the case, I think this will be an awesome guitar and I'm certain it will be really cool in "normal" light.
I agree with the last statement, but how could that Cherry guitar you stole from me jump off the page in person? Would it not have to have jumped in the page if it was in person?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree with the last statement, but how could that Cherry guitar you stole from me jump off the page in person? Would it not have to have jumped in the page if it was in person?

Ah yes...to the winer goes the spoils . It jumped to me, and sang me songs still ringing in my head ...you're a good sport Tom Bwahahahahaha

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

Steve
Thanks brother. I agree that the center section had untapped potential that tony uncovered.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John and I have talked on MANY occasions about the neck for this one. We have gone back and forth, and back and forth about what might be best. We've considered multiple types of woods and colors of wood, bursts, and more. What we came to was this...birdseye Maple with some nice colored laminates. It may or may not be a burst neck...time will tell and it will be a "game time decision".

But this is the start:

Old 08-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John just sent me a couple of pictures of the body of my guitar with a bit of shine. We're getting closer now!!

Here they are:

Last edited by invguy921; 08-04-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow! Looks wonderful. You are right ... getting close. Who would have thought you and I would be homestretching at the same time.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Really looking great Mike...I love the top and rib bevel look and functionality with the unique coloring of the back and sides woods. Any chance you'll be taking delivery at Woodstock? I would love to hear this one up close
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Really looking great Mike...I love the top and rib bevel look and functionality with the unique coloring of the back and sides woods. Any chance you'll be taking delivery at Woodstock? I would love to hear this one up close
Doug, Thank you! Glad you like it. It is QUITE outside the traditional box. I too am anxious to hear it and see if John can coax some of that magical Kinnaird tone out of this one. .

Regarding Woodstock...I'm pretty sure John would love to have this one to put on his table...this one will be special and yet very representative of his work...most of which I have experienced. I hope it to be done before Woodstock. But, unless someone pays my way there and lets me room with them (both highly unlikely ha!) i doubt I'll make it. But, ya never know...stranger things have happened lol.

Last edited by invguy921; 08-05-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Doug, Thank you! Glad you like it. It is QUITE outside the traditional box. I too am anxious to hear it and see if John can coax some of that magical Kinnaird tone out of this box .

Regarding Woodstock...I'm pretty sure John would love to have this one to put on his table...this one will be special and yet very representative of his work...most of which I have experienced. I hope it to be done before Woodstock. But, unless someone pays my way there and lets me room with them (both highly unlikely ha!) i doubt I'll make it. But, ya never know...stranger things have happened lol.
Not paying your way, but it looks like we have an extra room
Old 08-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Supper stylin...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Wow! Looks wonderful. You are right ... getting close. Who would have thought you and I would be homestretching at the same time.
Dennis, Thanks for the kind words. And yes, your guitar is really coming along nicely and certainly is one of the prettiest I've seen in quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Supper stylin...
Thanks Dave!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Dennis, it DID look that way, but it doesn't look that way now. But, I'm guessing yours in to you by now...looking forward to hearing your enthusiasm with your new baby. What a beauty!! Happy for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Not paying your way, but it looks like we have an extra room
Thanks for the offer of the room! I surely and truly wouldn't have expected anyone to pay my way...just jokin' . Unfortunately not going to be able to make the trip anyway as I have a lot going on in the fall. Guitar shows are great for people who have more flexible calendars, and mine just is a bit constrained right now. Not to mention, the shows are perfect for people looking for stable additions and with lots of budget flexibility...my stable is pretty full and my budget is consequently somewhat out of balance as usual .

A few people have asked me about when this one will be finished. The answer is that I really don't know. John has several (three I believe) that he is trying to get ready for the show, and another custom or two he is finishing. As such I think mine may be on the proverbial back burner until those builds are well along or done. Besides, we still haven't settled the neck design question, fingerboard, headstock, etc etc. So, I'm sure you all will know when I know.

Until then, I have good stuff to play so no worries .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop