The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Peterson tuner/Battery life

Back in June I bought a Peterson Stroboclip tuner and immediately loved it. BUT, after about 2 months it became very erratic and I thought I may have a defective unit. THEN Yesterday I was reading a recent post on Peterson tuners and Toby Walker mentioned they eat batteries. Today I replaced the battery and once again I love this tuner.

So..... Every 2 months I will install a $2.50 battery. Not a big deal to me, but, I thought I'd share my experience.

Cheers!

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!

Last edited by RP; 09-27-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Language
Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Back in June I bought a Peterson Stroboclip tuner and immediately loved it. BUT, after about 2 months it became very erratic and I thought I may have a defective unit. THEN Yesterday I was reading a recent post on Peterson tuners and Toby Walker mentioned they eat batteries. Today I replaced the battery and once again I love this tuner.

So..... Every 2 months I will install a $2.50 battery. Not a big deal to me, but, I thought I'd share my experience.

Cheers!
Hi DB...

I buy 2032 batteries for all my tuners on Amazon dot com, and the Energizer are 5 for $3.50 or less (and free shipping).

Just thought you might want to land a better deal.

I have stuck with the name brand ones, because I got some from overseas which were a bit 'thinner' than they should have been, and in some tuners they would not make nor maintain contact.

I get several of the 5-Energizers-on-a-card and keep one in the pick drawer of each guitar.

Fresh batteries are a good thing…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by RP; 09-27-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Language in quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DB...

I buy 2032 batteries for all my tuners on Amazon dot com, and the Energizer are 5 for $3.50 or less (and free shipping).

Just thought you might want to land a better deal.

I have stuck with the name brand ones, because I got some from overseas which were a bit 'thinner' than they should have been, and in some tuners they would not make nor maintain contact.

I get several of the 5-Energizers-on-a-card and keep one in the pick drawer of each guitar.

Fresh batteries are a good thing…

Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

Life is Good!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Good stuff, i'll keep both of these heads ups in mind. I just ordered one of these tuners this week. Thanks guys.

Keep on pickin'
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Larry, UB the man! I just ordered 20 Sony batteries off amazon for $7.81

Life is Good!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM

I've been going on 2 years with the same battery in my Peterson, still tuning just fine.

I do have other tuners I use, but I sure have not experienced any battery drain with the Peterson.

Now, the IntelliTouch PT30 ? That's a different story, that thing eats batteries for breakfast, and no wonder, due to the overly bright display.

Harmonics
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
I've been going on 2 years with the same battery in my Peterson, still tuning just fine.

Harmonics
Wow, you get 2 years and I got 2 months.... Go figure. Could have been an old/defective battery from the factory on mine???

Life is Good!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Here's some empirical data for you to evaluate.

I probably use my Peterson about twice a week ? On for about 2 minutes and then off.

It probably all comes down to use,

I can't imagine a big battery drain with the Peterson, its got the LCD display, unlike my IntelliTouch.

I'd chalk it up to inferior batteries, I don't use anything else beside Energizer Zero Mercury 2032 batteries in my Peterson,

Harmonics
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post

I probably use my Peterson about twice a week ? On for about 2 minutes and then off.

It probably all comes down to use,

Harmonics
Could be batteries... I'll know soon. I use mine daily 4,5,6 + a day. Fortunately/unfortunately I have a sensitive ear.

Life is Good!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Could be batteries... I'll know soon. I use mine daily 4,5,6 + a day. Fortunately/unfortunately I have a sensitive ear.
Hi DB...

Battery life is like string life. I laugh when people ask how longs strings last and without any other information they say 6 months.

I measure string life in hours of play, not how many weeks/months they have been on guitars.

Batteries have X-amount of hours of active life. If we tune and leave the tuner on, they will wear out quicker. If we tune 6 times a day instead of 1, I'd guess batteries will wear out 6 times faster.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM

2 months seems pretty brief,

Hopefully, you get some improvement with the new set of batteries.

I've come to a ritual when it comes to tuning.

I use the Peterson to get the guitar in tune, then I use my Korg for some time, until I need a major tune up again, then i go with the Peterson once more.

Yeah, guitarists are weird that way

Harmonics
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DB...

Batteries have X-amount of hours of active life. If we tune and leave the tuner on, they will wear out quicker. If we tune 6 times a day instead of 1, I'd guess batteries will wear out 6 times faster.

Hey Larry, I don't leave it on, it actually annoys me to leave it on the headstock. I turn it off and take it off. Just a habit. BUT... The slightest variation in tuning, I'm back at it.....

Life is Good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion