The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Have you guys seen the styrofoam cello (video below)? Louder and easier to play than standard, wood cellos and sounds wonderful. Styrofoam guitars anyone??

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en...News/1.2362321
This is the first I've seen or heard this. Pretty cool. Sounds really good, but I would've liked the cellist at the end of the video to also play the conventional wood cello to hear a comparison. Beyond that, only the 1.5 cm thick top is styrofoam. The rest of the construction appears to be wood, but not necessarily a tone wood (though it still sounds very good). In fact, the wood seems very lightweight, as does the overall instrument. I wonder how tough the styrofoam top is and if it's conducive to a protective finish to add strength and prevent easy marking. Still very cool to see and if and how such construction could translate to guitar.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
This is the first I've seen or heard this. Pretty cool. Sounds really good, but I would've liked the cellist at the end of the video to also play the conventional wood cello to hear a comparison. Beyond that, only the 1.5 cm thick top is styrofoam. The rest of the construction appears to be wood, but not necessarily a tone wood (though it still sounds very good). In fact, the wood seems very lightweight, as does the overall instrument. I wonder how tough the styrofoam top is and if it's conducive to a protective finish to add strength and prevent easy marking. Still very cool to see and if and how such construction could translate to guitar.
Not to mention, the cello itself could be used as packing material! Yeah, I know: back to my corner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber