The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Awesome!!! what a beauty and love the new playability with the satin neck!!
Agreed! This series will be a huge hit, IMO, it will probably send some of the competition back to the drawing board.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:11 PM

They play really nice...I played the Shorty size one a lot .... and.... a nice price point .... RainSong done good!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
They play really nice...I played the Shorty size one a lot .... and.... a nice price point .... RainSong done good!
They did indeed! Here's the press release from Rainsong:

1/17/2017

We are very excited to introduce the Concert Hybrid Series. For the Concert Hybrid Series we combined the unidirectional carbon soundboard of the Concert Series with the carbon/glass body of the Hybrid Series models then added a twist or two.

·High Gloss Unidirectional Carbon Top
·Satin Carbon/Glass Back and Sides
·Satin Carbon NS neck
·Black Hardware, Nut, Saddle and Pinstripe Rosette
·LR Baggs Stagepro Element

Optional LR Baggs Stagepro Anthem
Optional K&K Mini
Optional Pure Acoustic

·Available in WS, OM and PA bodies
PA also available as Pure Acoustic with Gig Bag

CH-PA1100NSG - Parlor body, 12-fret neck, Pure Acoustic, gig bag - $1,299 MAP
CH-PA1100NS - Parlor body, 12-fret neck, Pure Acoustic - $1,349 MAP
CH-WS1100NS - WS body, 12-fret neck, Pure Acoustic - $1,349 MAP
CH-OM1100NS - OM body, 12-fret neck, Pure Acoustic - $1,349 MAP
CH-PA/WS/OM1000NS - Parlor/WS/OM, 12-fret neck, LR Baggs Stagepro Element - $1,499 MAP
CH-PA/WS/OM1000NSK - Parlor/WS/OM, 12-fret neck, K&K Pure Mini - $1,599 MAP
CH-PA/WS/OM1000NSX - Parlor/WS/OM, 12-fret neck, LR Baggs Stagepro Anthem - $1,799 MAP
Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Wow! Entry level for brand new CF is now about $1300 for the parlor and $1350 MAP for the WS and OM bodies. These will be a real success. Rainsong tone and playability, the environmental durability of CF, and now at a price point that has not really been seen before (except used).
Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM

Interesting Rainsong being very agressive in creating good entry level options. Blackbird, looking at keeping in the plus $2000. CA prices aren't cheap any more. Emerald competitive but not in stores. Rainsong is in a good position.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Guest 928

Rainsong has paid some heavy dues. The maker was one of the first to explore the use of cf and had its share of flops. But the company persevered and has continued to be at the frontier of cf guitars. I have a great deal of respect for Rainsong. I also find it hilarious that the company is headquartered in Woodsville.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Plus one, really nice to have Kramster back.
Yes indeed.....love the NAMM reports and pictures.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Rainsong has paid some heavy dues. The maker was one of the first to explore the use of cf and had its share of flops. But the company persevered and has continued to be at the frontier of cf guitars. I have a great deal of respect for Rainsong. I also find it hilarious that the company is headquartered in Woodsville.
Rainsong was the first successful builder of carbon fiber guitars, no doubt about that, so they have paid their dues, and even busted down doors for other builders, but I am not aware of any flops. I recall that their classical model, which was a true classical not simply a steel string strung with nylon strings, was not well received by classical players. I also know that the Jazz Model was not particularly popular with jazz players, but these models have now become true collectors items so they are anything but flops. The imported models were also great guitars, and are still out there making music. Not really flops either, IMO.

The fact that they are located in Woodinville is kind of funny. Perhaps the town will rename the street they are on Carbon Drive.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

I think it depends on how one defines "flops".

If it is a line of guitars that didn't sell? I don't really know Rainsong history there.

If talking about Rainsong making a guitar that was defective, I can relate a firsthand story there.

It is well known that very early on, they built a few guitars using an epoxy that was not heat resistant. If those guitars were stored in high heat, they became unplayable--warped or fell apart. No secret here and it was mentioned in passing on the old MacNichol forum.

It is just part of the early learning curve and I doubt there is a maker out there that hasn't had issues of various types, especially early on.

The rest of the story is this. With this Rainsong failure, even though it was actually many years later that the no longer playable guitar was returned to them, Rainsong repaired/replaced that guitar and completely satisfied the customer. Stellar service, IMO, and worthy of praise.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I think it depends on how one defines "flops".
The "issue" you are referring to had to do with extreme heat, the kind of heat that would destroy a wood guitar, the guitars were not defective. The folks at Rainsong found out people were testing the limits of their guitars, doing things with them you were never supposed to, so instead of voiding the warranty, they changed the epoxy. This took place in the first few years, BTW, almost twenty years ago.

THE definition of a flop with regards to manufacturing and marketing, is a product that was a total failure, I don't believe Rainsong had any models that met that definition.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Guest 928

I don't see total failure as the benchmark for "flop." From a commercial standpoint the goal is return. Let me rephrase. I think Rainsong has made guitars that have not had much of an economic return. I also think that that is quite alright--it means that the company has been experimenting, progressing, working toward the future. When I note an occasional flop, I am not being derogatory, I am congratulating human persistence.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
. . . The folks at Rainsong found out people were testing the limits of their guitars, doing things with them you were never supposed to, so instead of voiding the warranty, they changed the epoxy. . . .
Just to be clear, no one was intentionally "testing" limits or doing things they were not supposed to do, or doing any other thing intentionally to cause that particular Rainsong to fail.

It was carbon fiber and there are obviously different expectations with carbon fiber than than there are for wood in regards to durability. It was kept in a trailer house in a hot region of the country with no shade and the AC was off when the musician (professional gigging musician) was not at home and off doing other things.

Rainsong was still on the learning curve and changed to a more suitable epoxy after failures appeared. As I mentioned, it was long ago and Rainsong's response was super.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed! This series will be a huge hit, IMO, it will probably send some of the competition back to the drawing board.
With this new line I don't think Rainsong has any competition. This new parlor https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....id-parlor.html, in particular, looks like an amazing combination. And given the price...forgetaboutit.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Does the new neck happen to have a rolled fretboard edge? That's the only complaint I have with my two Rainsongs - the edge of the fretboards are sharp like letter openers.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
With this new line I don't think Rainsong has any competition. This new parlor https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....id-parlor.html, in particular, looks like an amazing combination. And given the price...forgetaboutit.....
I think that was the idea, RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Does the new neck happen to have a rolled fretboard edge? That's the only complaint I have with my two Rainsongs - the edge of the fretboards are sharp like letter openers.
Standard frets, Ken. You could have your luthier roll the frets on your Rainsongs, but be careful, rolling the frets will reduce the surface width, and it's definitely not reversible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber