The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Good news... and bad (?) news

First, the good news. A few days ago I responded to the thread about 2010 goals. I wrote that I wanted to get a small group of beginners like myself together in my home to jam informally for the purpose of improving our playing and having fun. I posted a short ad on craigslist and, to my utter surprise, got four positive responses within a single day.

Now the bad news. While we're all older middle-age like I specified in the ad (our ages range from 51 to 75), everyone described themselves as intermediate or advanced intermediate players. I'm a true beginner (about two years playing, all but the last six months self-taught). So now I'm afraid I'll be in over my head with these guys.

I'm excited about the opportunity but very apprehensive, particularly since I know absolutely nothing about jamming. I've never seen or participated in one. I did read some detailed posts here about bluegrass jamming but they only scared the crap out of me. So before I either chicken out or schedule the first session, I'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the experienced players on this forum.

1) How long should the sessions last?
2) Is it necessary to establish ground rules or just see how it goes? It's supposed to be fun, after all.
3) I mentioned I'd be providing pizza and drinks (beer and soft). Is that okay or a no-no?
4) I also mentioned we could start meeting at my place but it might be fun to rotate around every now and then. Is that pretty standard for this kind of thing?
5) Should I have anything prepared (music, tabs, lyrics, rules of etiquette) to pass out to the participants?
6) I'm so overwhelmed that I can't think of any more right now.

Your advice and encouragement will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Will
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmiller View Post
2) Is it necessary to establish ground rules or just see how it goes? It's supposed to be fun, after all.
3) I mentioned I'd be providing pizza and drinks (beer and soft). Is that okay or a no-no?
4) I also mentioned we could start meeting at my place but it might be fun to rotate around every now and then. Is that pretty standard for this kind of thing?
5) Should I have anything prepared (music, tabs, lyrics, rules of etiquette) to pass out to the participants?
Hi Will,

1) Sessions should last as long as it's fun. When people get tired, you'll feel it.
2) I say no rules. Either you get along or you play with someone else.
3) Absolutely! I wouldn't do it every time but this is certainly a nice welcome.
4) It depends. Usually one guy's place is more convenient than others'.
5) Probably not until you become a steadier group.

It's a good learning experience to play with people who are better than you. Just make sure you listen. I enjoy playing with beginners when they listen to others and play along -- even if it means playing something really simple. Beginners I can't stand are those who just play away (usually badly and off bead) without listening to others. As a beginner, be attentive and follow the lead of the guy who seems to have the steadiest rhythm. Don't be afraid of playing repetitive themes (as long as it fits of course) and don't be afraid of trying new things.

Take it easy and just have fun. No one's judging others (unless you are playing with people who aren't nice of course).

Cheers,

Joe
Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Liberty Trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmiller View Post
Now the bad news. While we're all older middle-age like I specified in the ad (our ages range from 51 to 75), everyone described themselves as intermediate or advanced intermediate players. I'm a true beginner (about two years playing, all but the last six months self-taught). So now I'm afraid I'll be in over my head with these guys.
That is not bad news. Although your crowd will be a little long in the tooth, it is good news because it will force you to learn. In my experience, jammers are very good at helping beginners. If they aren't they aren't worth jamming with in the first place.

Quote:
I'm excited about the opportunity but very apprehensive, particularly since I know absolutely nothing about jamming.
In (I think) the Fall issue of "Wood and Steel," is an article about hosting your own jam. You can download it from the site for free. If it was the Summer issue, that can also be downloaded.

Other than that, I think you are on the right road. Don't be scared, I suspect it will be a great experience for you.

My only precaution would be about letting strangers in my house, but I am paranoid. Other folks do not have the same reservations.

Quote:
Depends. I have attended jams that lasted all day, but those were fairly large jams. I attend one that lasts 2 hours and another that lasts almost 3.

Quote:
See the page on "Announcements" for the jam etiquette (at the bottom of the page) on the Downey Folk Music Jam.

Quote:
It is OK. Don't hesitate to discretely ask for donations. Pot luck is good if you have enough people.

Quote:
This is OK too and often done this way.

Quote:
Have in mind the type of music you want to play and have the jammers play. Have a few songs prepared for when it is your turn. Songs that people know are always a good choice, but new and/or original ones can be added.

Also, in case you are all new at jamming, the ones I attend usually have a leader and we go around the circle (even if it is not a real circle) counter-clockwise. You can do a song or pass.

Quote:
You will do fine. I understand your nervousness. I have always had a fear of throwing a party and no one showing up, but even more, I fear that they might!

Have fun and I wish you good luck.

That Wood and Steel article is entitled, "Playing Well With Others."

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

Last edited by raulb; 01-06-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 PM

Thank you for starting this...I've wanted to start going to one of our jams for a while, but am petrified of it. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Joe and Raul,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the valuable resources. As a token of my appreciation, I intend to "pay it forward" by eventually posting the experience of hosting my first jam.

I'm feeling better all ready!

Thanks again,
Will
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
happiness

Very cool, kudos to you for managing to organise this. It sounds very exciting, and I'm sure you will learn a lot from the other players. Please keep us posted on how it progresses.

Fliss
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up

I wish I was going...

It sounds like it'll be a great thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Jamming with friends is a great thing - I hope that your group from Craigslist works out. I started playing with a couple friends on a regular basis a while ago, and we have worked out a routine. Anyone can bring a new song, and if others like it, we get the words and the chords and email or print out a copy for everyone. That way we can work on it together, and we may make changes to parts of it, and work out singing/harmonies, leads, etc. What is good is we all get introduced to songs and artists that we may not be very familiar with.

Once we felt like we had something that worked, and we were enjoying it, we have each started to invite other players to join us - and it just gets better! We have had about 8 other people joins us at one time or another - but as it grows, new problems arise.

The biggest problem is finding a place large enough for us all to get together, followed by finding nights that everyone has free. This years we may have to start doing 2 nights a week so that everyone who wants to can join in, but the space issue is still a problem. No one wants to have their living room changed into a rehearsal hall -

If everyone one is there to have fun, and check their egos at the door, you can really learn alot both about playing guitar as well as making music with others - Big Fun!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Jamming with more experienced players is a great way to learn. All of the questions that you are asking should be directed at the people that you will be jamming with. Just get them all together and ask the same questions that you have asked hear. If you are doing it at your house that is good also because you can always have some refreshments on hand. If you keep the sessions light and don't try to be a control freak they will probably continue to come back. Refreshments and snacks is a lot cheaper then leasons and you will learn more jamming.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM

So whats the bad news?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 PM

The link posted above with "Jam Etiquette" is really good... it got me thinking. It really is helpful if everyone can start with one songbook that covers a lot of different styles, and pick songs from there. That link recommended a few that I hadn't heard of; I've used a book called "Rise Up Singing" that I love for these occasions. It is mostly folk but covers some old blues numbers, jazz standards, bluegrass, and newer stuff from the 60's and 70's.
It only has lyrics and chords, but it is very straighforward to use. And maybe most importantly, it's spiral bound- you can lay it around wherever and it will stay open to the correct page.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write