The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Guest 720

Default Next step in chord learning...

So, after learning the basic chords, and their accompanying minor chords, along with G7, E7, C7, A7, and barre chords using E, Em, A, and Am shapes with the barre, (can't think of any others off hand), what do you folks recommend as the next chords to focus on learning? And, having fun with?

I play mostly fingerstyle, and would like to noodle around with some other chord shapes, that go nicely with other basic chords, and movable shapes would be a bonus, to me, to add to voicing possibilities. For example, I started fooling recently with a shape of x24400, (changing to x24420 using my index finger) which a site tells me is Bsus4, and using it with Am and Em. I find learning the one new shape, with a couple I already know, easier to practice, than three new shapes that are awkward, or big reaches, and that gets frustrating.

But like to strum along to songs as well, so new chords and progressions here would be fun as well.

I know I can find thousands of chords online, but thought I might narrow the possibilities a tad, by getting info on the next step, if you will, from the folks here. Some songs that use these, shall we say, non-vanilla chord progressions, to practice along with would be great too.

I know, a lot to ask, but thanks in advance to everyone!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM

2 chords are nice and add fresh color. 9 chords and 4 chords are good too. For example, A2, C9, A7sus4. Check out chord options at www.chordfind.com

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
2 chords are nice and add fresh color. 9 chords and 4 chords are good too. For example, A2, C9, A7sus4. Check out chord options at www.chordfind.com
I agree - learning to add some color to your basic chords is a great next step.

I'll use an "A" as the basis.
You probably already know A, Am, and A7.

If you like rock a lot, then power chords (A5) are a big deal.
So are your "big" Major and minor barre chords.

Acoustic pop and rock use a lot of suspensions and colorations. For A, the most common would be Asus2, Asus4, and Aadd9 (or A+9). add9 chords are Major, and you should certainly toy around with songs you already know, substituting the A+9 for A, etc., to see how it sounds. In some cases, it will be entirely inappropriate, but in others, it will be magic.

If you spell them out, you will see that an add9 chord is a sus2 chord with one note added. DO NOT BE FOOLED. These two chords sound and feel VERY different in terms of the emotion they invoke. An add9 is not an "extended" sus2. Learn both - it is worth it.

Finally, you might want to add another 4-voice chord (7 chord) to your reportoire. - the m7. Minor 7 chords get used a lot in acoustic rock and pop. They are also all over jazz - and there are some pretty easy fingerings for them. Am7 would be the A version. Em7, Dm7 are also easy. Bm7 and Cm7 aren't bad either.

For A, try Asus2, Asus4, Aadd9, and A9 (A Dominant Chord, like A7 - only with 5 notes instead of 4), and Am7.

What kind of music do you like (want to play)? I bet you'd get some very good suggestions from folks here for songs that incorporate these types of chords, if we could narrow down your taste a bit. Noting your tastes and interest will also help set priorities for the above. If you like harder rock more, then power chords and big barres should come first. If you like acoustic rock and pop, then suspensions and colorations should come first. If you like blues, that A9 and its brethren will come in VERY handy, as will a 7#9 chord. What do you want to play right now?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Guest 720

Thanks for all the tips. Laird, I play mostly acoustic rock and pop, and like to play around with blues once in a while, though in a very basic way. Learning a few simple blues pieces is still new for me, but I am enjoying it, and want to get better.

I will spend some time looking up these chords and put together a chord sheet for myself to to get started, thanks again!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM

A real insight into moveable chord shapes is learning 3 note triads on the 3 high strings. Youtube has some good lessons on these. Simple triads make it easier to visualize the 1,3,5 notes and variations on these

These triads are also useful in accompanying a tune or in some types of music (such as reggae)....they can be strummed or used as arpeggios.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi John…
Pete Huttlinger has a great DVD named The Wonderful World of Chords which is all about - you guessed it!!! CHORDS!!

Actually it's one of the best laid out presentations of chords and meant to be watched with your guitar in your hand. Fun and very informative...

75 minutes of instruction, and a pamphlet included. I use it with students to build up their chord vocabulary/library, and I was just looking through it one day and my gigging partner (a very capable bassist and guitraist0 was sitting there and I apologized for needing to scan through it and he said ''Don't stop, I'm learning from this...''

Good stuff...

Chord DVDs at Homespun including Pete's - click

Look toward the bottom of the page for Pete's DVD by itself...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write