The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
There is none like you.

Hey you.. i use a shure beta 87a blue and it is awsome !!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks Mcphersonnut soon to be Martinnut. It is in the top 5.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM

I was using a Shure Beta58, but lately have went back to the old faithful SM58. It's not as hot or as detailed, but it's smooth and suites my voice better.

My bandmate uses a EV N767, sounds great for his voice, he's a high tenor. I'm a baritone by nature but sing a lot of tenor parts, and the EV has way too much low end for my already bassy voice. I hate my voice through the EV, but they sound great if paired with the right voice.

The problem I have with mics that are very sensitive for live use is that they can sound rather harsh and need to be EQ'd properly. But, that's just me.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass
Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace7 View Post
Greetings MIShultz!

Thanks for two more models to confuse me Seriously, I'll check them out. Thanks. What would you sell the Sennheiser for? My zip is 94513
PMed.

Michael
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM

I mentioned this exact mic earlier. In my opinions, you'd be hard pressed to find a better mic under $500:

Nuemann KSM105

This a good price on this mic. Very good.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks again everyone. One last question remains open that was brought up. Is it worth it or necessary to add the pre-amp and such to a mic for the best sound. And if so, can one get a lesser mic with this set up or would it be better just to sink all the extra money I'd spend on the preamp into the best mic for the money?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwarrior View Post
My bandmate uses a EV N767, sounds great for his voice, he's a high tenor. I'm a baritone by nature but sing a lot of tenor parts, and the EV has way too much low end for my already bassy voice. I hate my voice through the EV, but they sound great if paired with the right voice.
Dreamwarrior makes a good point. I have kind of a high nasally voice which the E/V warms up and smooths out with it's low end. My voice sounds too nasally with an SM58 but for a bassy voice I can see why it would be prefered. Like others have said, best thing is to go and demo some and see which sounds best for your voice.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks again everyone. One last question remains open that was brought up. Is it worth it or necessary to add the pre-amp and such to a mic for the best sound. And if so, can one get a lesser mic with this set up or would it be better just to sink all the extra money I'd spend on the preamp into the best mic for the money?
If you have decent preamps in your mixer or PA, another preamp would probably not do much, I'd spend my money on the microphone

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Grace7,

Sorry I missed your earlier question, but there are a lot of votes for the Shure Beta 87A, it is a great mike.

Regarding the Neumanns and AKG, they are mostly upstream from the price point you are talking about for the mikes they are known for, but there are some KSM105 deals on eBay (on stage they would be a little more sensitive than the 104's I am learning).

Just like guitars, find a good store with a decent selection and do some auditioning. Happy Shopping.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM

The Nuemann is a nice looking mic but quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend. The one on ebay is around $500 now! The Shure is getting the most votes. I agree that more money on a mic is better than added preamps and such. Still open to advice. Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 PM

Ah, when I posted that link, it was seemingly unnoticed at just around $300... That's why i took the time to post it. Looks like i wasn't the only one scouting out mics on eBay, eh?

In that case, be sure to give the Audix OM6 a test run, and a Beta 87a a test run. And it's thoroughly agreed that a mic is a very personal thing. Not all mics are catered for all voices.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Well said zb0430

I appreciate you taking the time to point out what might have been an incredible deal. You named the top two mics on my short list. I've all but narrowed it down to those two. Thanks again,
Old 05-31-2008, 01:24 AM

Equation DS-V7, Audix OM-6, or Beyer M69. All three are far superior to anything Shure has to offer, and the prices range from somewhat less to a somewhat more. If you buy without auditioning these three, you are shorting yourself massively.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

I use two Shure Beta mics for vocals and mic'ing my acoustics. I'm as happy as a clam at high tide with their performance capabilities.

Shure Beta 58A -- supercardioid -- dynamic
Shure Beta 87A -- supercardioid -- condenser (requires phantom power)

Play on, pick often, and prosper. Best regards....KaBoOkIe
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Our church uses a sure SM something. Do they make a 54 or 84? The most knowlegable sound guy said they were something like that. Mainly they are quite old and I don't think anyone cleanes them. He is partial to Sennheiser but cannot be counted on to get me a list of say three mics that would be the way to go. I knew I could count on my AGF friends for advice. Already good info and I hope for more to come. Right now I seem to be driven to the following: Heil PR-20, Sennheiser E835, Electro-voice N/D767a or a Sure Beta 87A. I expect this list to widen and then narrow. Thanks ahead of time!
Hi Grace. Others may disagree but I own the EV N/D767. It's a fairly powerful mic IMHO that also offers a bass roll-off switch and is less than $150 at most places. Might be worth a try. Maybe some others here can give you more input on that mic. I also have a lower end Sennheiser Evolution that does a nice job and was a third of your Max $$$ to spend. You can probably get a much better Evolution model than mine for more and still stay well within your range. Best of luck to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification