The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Default Help on a Chord?

Looking for some help on this cord: D/F#

Here is the song I am trying to play:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...id_lie_crd.htm

If you hold your cursor over the 'D/F#' (anywhere in the song), it shows you the diagram. It looks like a normal D chord, but my questions are on the strings. My questions are:

-- Is this diagram telling you not to play the two lowest strings at all (the A and E strings)?

-- And then...it is telling you to play the three highest strings, I believe, but what about the 4th string? I see there is a filled-in black dot next to that string, whereas the three highest strings have circles that are not filled in.

Thank you,

Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveplays View Post
Looking for some help on this cord: D/F#

Here is the song I am trying to play:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...id_lie_crd.htm

If you hold your cursor over the 'D/F#' (anywhere in the song), it shows you the diagram. It looks like a normal D chord, but my questions are on the strings. My questions are:

-- Is this diagram telling you not to play the two lowest strings at all (the A and E strings)?

-- And then...it is telling you to play the three highest strings, I believe, but what about the 4th string? I see there is a filled-in black dot next to that string, whereas the three highest strings have circles that are not filled in.

Thank you,

Dave
D/F# means play a D chord with a F# bass note. I play this using a normal D chord, and wrap my thumb over and fret the low E string on the second fret (F#) and strum all the strings. The A won't matter in my opinion as A is in a D chord, and it's not the bass note.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM

The diagram is a straight D major chord and not a D/F#. To play the correct chord, you need to play the bass E string on the 2nd fret (giving you the F#) and then the open D string, 2nd fret on the G and 3rd fret on the B. All you've done is to transfer the F# from the top string to the bass.

Not too easy with a pick, better for fingerstyle. To play with a pick you would have to do a little muting on the A string (although it's not strictly necessary).

The reason for it is that the song is moving from an E minor to a G and the F# in between makes for a smoother transition.

Hope this helps!

David
Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Hmm...I wouldn't look at this one as a D/F# at all, but that's me, I guess.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
The Foreigner

My guess is the black dot shows the lowest string in the chord being played and that they forgot to show that the 4th string should be fretted on the 4th fret (F#).

By the way, a "fuller" D/F# can be fingered as 2x0232, with the thumb (or index, if you prefer) fretting the bass E.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 12-29-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 PM

That's odd it must be an automatic program and it doesn't recognize the /. The diagram under tuning capo 1 shows a Dsus4/F# or D add11 chord 200033 as opposed to the D/F# 2X0232
Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Default The thumb

I use this chord a lot in fingerpicking and always use the thumb to grab that bass. The tip of the thumb will learn to mute the A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write