The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Default Acoustics from discontinued manufacturers?

Tell me about your guitar(s) from discontinued manufacturers. For example, I have an all solid wood Garrison that was made in Newfoundland, Canada. A few years ago Gibson acquired them and it didn't take long for them to discontinue Garrisons.

What about your experiences? Any manufacturers/brands you wish would still be around?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Gurian with wider nuts. Warren White flamenco/classical. Pre 1986 C F Martin & Co.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Tell me about your guitar(s) from discontinued manufacturers. For example, I have an all solid wood Garrison that was made in Newfoundland, Canada. A few years ago Gibson acquired them and it didn't take long for them to discontinue Garrisons.

What about your experiences? Any manufacturers/brands you wish would still be around?
I played a Garrison years ago. Nice guitar for sure!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dru,
Bohemian beat me to the punch. One of the only guitars I ever bought new was a Gurian size 3 R. It's a 76 I think. It's a fine guitar--hard to believe I've owned it for so long.

At the time I bought it, there were few choices in steel strings--Martin was in lull, Norlin was no fun, either. Guild was the one US maker that was still consistent--but hard to find in music stores. I can't recall the name of the shop in Carboro, NC that just happened to carry Gurians. I bought the only one in stock.

It was refreshingly different. Still is.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I played a Garrison years ago. Nice guitar for sure!
Gibson built Canadian made Gibsons there for a year but they didn't sell well (I didn't really like them). I believe the plant is shut down now. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Dru,
Bohemian beat me to the punch. One of the only guitars I ever bought new was a Gurian size 3 R. It's a 76 I think. It's a fine guitar--hard to believe I've owned it for so long.

At the time I bought it, there were few choices in steel strings--Martin was in lull, Norlin was no fun, either. Guild was the one US maker that was still consistent--but hard to find in music stores. I can't recall the name of the shop in Carboro, NC that just happened to carry Gurians. I bought the only one in stock.

It was refreshingly different. Still is.
Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. Gurian ... I've heard of them but know nothing of them. Are they American? Did they fold or were they acquired?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Gibson built Canadian made Gibsons there for a year but they didn't sell well (I didn't really like them). I believe the plant is shut down now. Sad.

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. Gurian ... I've heard of them but know nothing of them. Are they American? Did they fold or were they acquired?
They no longer build instruments but are rather now a parts supplier.

http://www.gurianinstruments.com/top-nav/about-us/

Michael Millard, of Froggy Bottom fame, is a Gurian alumni.

TW
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

[IMG][/IMG]Hi Dru,
Here's my Gurian. Michael started out in New York, then moved to New Hampshire. His shop burnt down, a tragic loss.

His guitars were hand built by a small team of luthiers. As you can see, his design is classically influenced.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Since this is the guitar equivalent of fantasy football, two firms I wish had succeeded in the marketplace and continued in business are Tacoma and Mossman.

Oh, well.....

whm
Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 PM

I have a Garrison that I love and wouldn't trade it for...well, let's not get crazy here....I'd trade it, okay? But not today. I love its Canadian red cedar top. Running it thru my Fishman produces a wonderfully warm tone.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

In the acoustic world I wish Tacoma was still around. In the electric world I miss Jerry Jones.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Since this is the guitar equivalent of fantasy football, two firms I wish had succeeded in the marketplace and continued in business are Tacoma and Mossman.

Oh, well.....

whm
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
In the acoustic world I wish Tacoma was still around. In the electric world I miss Jerry Jones.
Tacoma ... I don't think I've ever played them before. I just googled them to confirm that they had been acquired by Fender. They have a website but there's nothing on it. Probably a squatter looking to sell the domain? (http://www.tacomaguitars.com/en-CA/).
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Two Sadao Yairi classicals, under the "Yairi & Son" and "Yairi Guitar" labels.

There is an existing Japanese company named "S Yairi," which may or may not be connected with Sadao Yairi's son. Quality-wise, however, there is definitely no relation. The new guitars are, for the most part, mass-produced discount models, and I believe they are no longer made in Japan.

Seagull definitely exists, but I don't believe they make solid cedar-topped, wild cherry lam B/S S6 dreads like mine anymore. A pity.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Oh, well.....

whm
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Tacoma ... I don't think I've ever played them before. I just googled them to confirm that they had been acquired by Fender. They have a website but there's nothing on it. Probably a squatter looking to sell the domain? (http://www.tacomaguitars.com/en-CA/).
Tacomas are long gone. They've been out of production since Fender moved Guild to the Tacoma factory in 2006 (I think). Guild production has since been moved to New Hartford, Connecticut.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I don't know how well Tacoma guitars got distributed in Canada, Dru, particularly not there in the Maritimes where you guys go around singing sea chanties and saying "Arrr!" and "Shiver me timbers!" a lot.....

They were made in Tacoma, Washington for close to ten years, give or take a year, and were an attempt to compete with other North American acoustic guitar manufacturers. They had some interesting and innovative guitar designs, and their prices were quite reasonable.

They tend to be undervalued on the used guitar market, so sometimes you can find real bargains on them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
Seagull definitely exists, but I don't believe they make solid cedar-topped, wild cherry lam B/S S6 dreads like mine anymore. A pity.
They may have changed the model designations, but they're definitely still making lots of guitars with solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides. If you were to visit me here in the Anchorage area, I could take you to our local Seagull/Godin dealers and you'd have your choice of at least half a dozen solid cedar top/laminated cherry back and side guitars to play at each store.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion