The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM

As a young kid, I really liked Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra. Mostly Mantle's skills and Berra's quips. Never quite warmed up to Roger Maris, even in '61...his big year. I was 11 that year and, since my dad had grown up on Long Island, the Yankees were "his team" and became mine as well. We seldom missed a Yankee game. Until a few years ago, I could recite the typical opening lineup by memory (probably still can, but haven't tried in a while).

But I also read a lot of books and articles about my dad's childhood sports heroes back then, and they became favorites of mine, too. Especially Lou Gehrig and, to a lesser extent, Babe Ruth. I admired Ruth's obvious homerun skills, but there was just something special about Gehrig to me. Admirable in a number of ways.

Dirk
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.

"I ain't got nothin' against no viet congs..."

The Louisville Lip

+1 for the Champ. Personally, I did not agree with his politics, but they stripped him of his title for refusing to be drafted, and I did not agree with that, either! Like a REAL champ, he came back and retook his title. What class!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Al Kaline, Mickey Mantle, Barry Sanders, Stevie Yzerman, Smokin' Joe Frazier, Wes Unseld, Cassius Clay, 1980 U.S. Hockey Team, 1968 Detroit Tigers.
All great athletes. Stevie Yzerman had skill, class, and leadership.
Barry Sanders was just so exciting to watch. Too bad he never made it to the Big Game. His running without a shoe clip is a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Early in my life, it was Dave Keon, a forward with my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs. In my teens, Russ Jackson, a great QB with the CFL Grey Cup winning Ottawa Rough Riders was also my sports hero, in part because he became my high school principal soon after his career ended (he was a terrific principal/guy, very involved with students). When Wayne Gretzky came along, I admired him a lot and after all these years, I still do.
Dave Keon was on all of Toronto's 4 Stanley Cup winning teams of the '60s. You don't hear too much about him anymore though.
Gretzky was just amazing to watch. I hope he makes it back into the NHL is some capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa View Post
Bo Jackson.
Bo came with a lot of hype and he lived up to it. One of my favorite players and he was every with advertisements, commercials, etc. Remember the "Bo Knows...." commercials? I remember watching the MLB all star game and he won MVP.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Jessie Duff!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 PM

There are too many to try and pick just one at the moment.

I was partial to many of the Yankees with Whitey Ford, Yogi, Mickey, and Roger. I liked Willie as well and a few more.

Football I remember Johnny U and the Colts.

In basketball, my favorite is Jerry West. After all, he came from a small community not far from where I live. But I will second Wilt and Kareem and Larry Bird.

It would take a while to ponder upon all of these to decide on just one. And during that time, I figure I would think of a few more like "Refrigerator Perry" that I enjoyed watching.

Just too many. As one can tell, I am partial to the early guys who played for little pay compared to today's standards.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM

One of my all time favorites is one most never heard of, Jochen Rendt. He drove for Lotus in the sixties.

On one of the rare occasions a Formula One race was on TV, Wide World of Sports was carrying the 1970 Monaco GP. Its a tight street circuit and late in the race, Sir Jack Brabham had a major lead and was cruising to a win. Back in the pack, Rendt just decided to go for broke and was driving like a maniac, drifting through the turns, making wild passes.The cameras picked up on the charge and started to cover him and in a few laps, it was clear he was going to catch up to Brabham. Brabham couldn't see him coming in his mirrors as the course is so tight and there were no radios so his team couldn't warn him.

Rendt showed up out of nowhere, pressured Brabham into an error in the final turn, and passed Brabham on the last lap to win. Haven't seen a better F1 drive before or since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2v4A_y4VI
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
There are too many to try and pick just one at the moment.

I was partial to many of the Yankees with Whitey Ford, Yogi, Mickey, and Roger. I liked Willie as well and a few more.

Football I remember Johnny U and the Colts.

In basketball, my favorite is Jerry West. After all, he came from a small community not far from where I live. But I will second Wilt and Kareem and Larry Bird.

It would take a while to ponder upon all of these to decide on just one. And during that time, I figure I would think of a few more like "Refrigerator Perry" that I enjoyed watching.

Just too many. As one can tell, I am partial to the early guys who played for little pay compared to today's standards.
Tom, I always thought you were 30 but given these athletes you must be at least 40 I also noticed you don't have any Red Sox players on your list. Seriously though, just a great era of baseball.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Derek Jeter
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Guest4562

Broadway Joe Namath. Broke most of the rules and still won. Now there's a role model.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
One of my all time favorites is one most never heard of, Jochen Rendt. He drove for Lotus in the sixties.

On one of the rare occasions a Formula One race was on TV, Wide World of Sports was carrying the 1970 Monaco GP. Its a tight street circuit and late in the race, Sir Jack Brabham had a major lead and was cruising to a win. Back in the pack, Rendt just decided to go for broke and was driving like a maniac, drifting through the turns, making wild passes.The cameras picked up on the charge and started to cover him and in a few laps, it was clear he was going to catch up to Brabham. Brabham couldn't see him coming in his mirrors as the course is so tight and there were no radios so his team couldn't warn him.

Rendt showed up out of nowhere, pressured Brabham into an error in the final turn, and passed Brabham on the last lap to win. Haven't seen a better F1 drive before or since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2v4A_y4VI
Rindt was, indeed, a great driver and died too soon, though many did during the '70s. He's also the only driver to win the F1 championship posthumously.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Tom, I always thought you were 30 but given these athletes you must be at least 40 I also noticed you don't have any Red Sox players on your list. Seriously though, just a great era of baseball.
You are close to being correct on the age Dru. I am 41 Okay, you can add enough to get me close to 60, but who is looking at age....

I could name a few from the red Sox, the Reds, Dodgers, and more. I use to park it in front of the old black and white with rabbit ears watching the games. I would always have a basketball, football or baseball in my hands while watching the games with dad.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Billie Jean King.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Dr. J.

I cannot think of a more dominant, more likable, more entertaining and charismatic athlete in my lifetime.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Dr. J.

I cannot think of a more dominant, more likable, more entertaining and charismatic athlete in my lifetime.
Here's the ESPN documentary, "The Doctor": http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qsb7Z...%3Do3qsb7ZlRkA
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Whippersnapper

Cal Ripken Jr.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic