The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2024, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwallace1966 View Post
Great answers, y'all. I think for now I will go with my iPad, mounted to a mic stand. Then later I can add a mic or two along with a Zoom recorder.

Does that progression make sense?
Absolutely. You can also get an interface to connect the mic(s) directly to your iPad if you are comfortable with that workflow, instead of using an external Zoom recorder.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:44 PM

I think you mentioned that you have four Apple products. All of them should have Garage Band already downloaded or can be had for free. If you listen to yourself and believe that you MAY actually sound ok now or could be much better soon, the Focusrite 2i2 (or higher) will plug into the apple/garage band and you will be off and running. The actual recording part is easy, it’s all the features in Garage Band that take a bit to figure out.
You can record in Garage Band without a Mic or an interface, but if you use a mic and interface you can make it sound pretty nice without many dollars……..
Old 01-02-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I think you mentioned that you have four Apple products. All of them should have Garage Band already downloaded or can be had for free. If you listen to yourself and believe that you MAY actually sound ok now or could be much better soon, the Focusrite 2i2 (or higher) will plug into the apple/garage band and you will be off and running. The actual recording part is easy, it’s all the features in Garage Band that take a bit to figure out.
You can record in Garage Band without a Mic or an interface, but if you use a mic and interface you can make it sound pretty nice without many dollars……..
Thank you. I am definitely not anywhere near sounding okay nor thinking that I may be much better soon. I am starting lessons soon though and am just preparing for the idea that an instructor may be interested in having me record myself.

But, yes, I do have Garage Band installed on a few of the devices and can use that if appropriate.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-03-2024, 05:04 PM

I'm in agreement with shufflebeat and doctone, use your iPhone or iPad, it'll do just fine and don't get bogged down in the recording process. Recording yourself is not essential to learning but it can be a help as long as you don't spend more time faffing with the recorder than practicing (believe me it is easy to do, just don't ask me how I know).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
I'm in agreement with shufflebeat and doctone, use your iPhone or iPad, it'll do just fine and don't get bogged down in the recording process. Recording yourself is not essential to learning but it can be a help as long as you don't spend more time faffing with the recorder than practicing (believe me it is easy to do, just don't ask me how I know).
Thanks!! I think I'll stick with that for now. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
it can be a help as long as you don't spend more time faffing with the recorder than practicing (believe me it is easy to do, just don't ask me how I know).
How do you know?

Mark
Old 01-04-2024, 08:43 AM

Been using a Zoom Handy recorder for many years now.

I swear by them. They are the coolest things!

It's saved a lot of IDEAS that became songs, that otherwise would have been lost forever by the time I went back to the idea, which could have been the next day or that afternoon.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-04-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, all. New here. Looking forward to learning from you all. I am a beginner guitar player, about to start taking my first lessons this coming Sunday.

I have read online that it can be a good thing to record one's playing and then play it back, either for self or for an instructor.

For that purpose only (i.e. just for practice purposes), what are the basics for setting up a basic recording situation?

Notes
  • I would like to be able to save the recordings so that I can easily share them with an instructor if asked to do so.
  • I have multiple Apple devices (Macbook Air, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, Mac Mini) that I can incorporate, if there is a place for any of them in this.
  • I have multiple guitars, one of which has a pickup. In general though, I expect to practice most often without a pickup. I also have an electric that I *may* someday want to record from.
  • All practice would be done in a room in a house, without anything special done to make the house/room acoustically friendly. Since I am not recording for anything beyond practice purposes, I am not worried about this, but I welcome any setup recommendations that should be considered for purposes of producing a recording useful for instructor review.
  • Budget is not unlimited, but I can invest a bit in order to do it the "right" way, whatever that may be.

Thank you in advance!

Mark
Hi Mark…
There are a ton of recording options, including just putting your phone in a small holder or tripod and shooting that to capture both pic and sound.

These days that's a pretty viable option.

I still keep a Zoom H1n (still about $100 after being built and updated for nearly 20 years) near my practice area to capture quick recordings with better sound than my iPhone. It also goes on trips with us.

And it's got the option of a 'microphone' shaped handle which can pop into a mic stand, or (mine full time) it will take a tripod plate to pop into a small tripod (I'm a photographer). I like the tripod option because it's quick, and less invasive than a mic stand…and I own both mic stands and tripods.

Over the years I've collected and still use a Zoom H2n, and H4n for applications where I'm recording stuff for posting. Both are great options.

At the end of my 40 years of teaching, several of my best students had seen my H1n and bought their own (because I'd pull recordings during a lesson for them of exercises and email the file to them later).

I'd just record direct to mp3, but it will also record .wav files. There are fancier looking brands on the market, but Zoom have produced and supported their recording devices for a couple decades now.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-04-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hi, all. New here. Looking forward to learning from you all. I am a beginner guitar player, about to start taking my first lessons this coming Sunday.

I have read online that it can be a good thing to record one's playing and then play it back, either for self or for an instructor.
Welcome, Mark! I'm pretty new here myself, but I've been playing since 1968. I've never heard anyone suggest that. It could be a good thing to do as long as you don't let it become a distraction from just plain playing.

Quote:
For that purpose only (i.e. just for practice purposes), what are the basics for setting up a basic recording situation?

Notes
  • I would like to be able to save the recordings so that I can easily share them with an instructor if asked to do so.
  • I have multiple Apple devices (Macbook Air, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, Mac Mini) that I can incorporate, if there is a place for any of them in this.
  • I have multiple guitars, one of which has a pickup. In general though, I expect to practice most often without a pickup. I also have an electric that I *may* someday want to record from.
You have a lot of instruments for someone who's just getting started. Like, wow! You're on your way!

Quote:
[*]All practice would be done in a room in a house, without anything special done to make the house/room acoustically friendly.
Good. Any comfortable room where you're not bothering anyone and no one is bothering you is a good practice room.

Quote:
Since I am not recording for anything beyond practice purposes, I am not worried about this, but I welcome any setup recommendations that should be considered for purposes of producing a recording useful for instructor review.
For your situation, just do whatever is easiest, simplest. Again, don't go down any rabbit holes that take you away from practicing. Practice should be as distraction-free as possible — and fiddling with a recorder can easily become a distraction.

Quote:
[*]Budget is not unlimited, but I can invest a bit in order to do it the "right" way, whatever that may be.
Sounds like you have plenty of recording options already. Again, keep it simple.

Quote:
Thank you in advance!

Mark
You're welcome in advance!
Old 01-04-2024, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the tips on the Zoom recorders.

I have put one in my Amazon cart for some later-day purchase. I think for now that one of my iDevices will do the trick, but I am also a hopeless tech nerd, so it wouldn't surprise me if "later-day" ends up being "next week."

Mark
Old 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Welcome, Mark! I'm pretty new here myself, but I've been playing since 1968. I've never heard anyone suggest that. It could be a good thing to do as long as you don't let it become a distraction from just plain playing.
The recommendation to record oneself has been repeated on a few sites. It makes sense to me.

Quote:
You have a lot of instruments for someone who's just getting started. Like, wow! You're on your way!
It's a family joke at this point. I actually bought my first guitar in 1998 (a Seagull S6) and then two more along the way (a Yamaha FG705 and a MIM Deluxe Player Stratocaster) each time that I rededicated myself to learning. I have gone and done it again this time (continuing the family joke) by purchasing a Martin 000-15SM a week or so ago. I am ridiculous.

Quote:
For your situation, just do whatever is easiest, simplest. Again, don't go down any rabbit holes that take you away from practicing. Practice should be as distraction-free as possible — and fiddling with a recorder can easily become a distraction.

Sounds like you have plenty of recording options already. Again, keep it simple.
Duly noted. I'll keep it as simple as I can -- until I can't stand it anymore.

Mark
Old 01-04-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the Zoom recorders.

I have put one in my Amazon cart for some later-day purchase. I think for now that one of my iDevices will do the trick, but I am also a hopeless tech nerd, so it wouldn't surprise me if "later-day" ends up being "next week."

Mark
you can't get easier than the Zoom I've had.

turn it on, press ONE red button to start, again to stop.

you're done. I've pulled some very surprisingly GOOD sounding clips from this little thing.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-04-2024, 12:07 PM

Exactly. What I like about the Zoom (or the likes) option are two things:
- You can record immediately without starting an app or booting a computer.
- You can be sure to capture your playing uncompressed and with full dynamics.
The downside may be that there's a little more work + a cable to share your recording with WhatsApp.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:56 PM

Alright...stupid question about the Zoom recorder....

Does it do playback as well? Or do I have to do some sort of weird process of transferring the recording (presumably off of an SD or something) over to a laptop and then playing the recording from the laptop?

Mark
Old 01-04-2024, 11:32 PM

Yes, they have a built-in speaker (with naturally poor sound), but also a 3.5 mm stereo output for headphones or any sound reinforcement device. With headphones, you can monitor the level before recording.
The small one takes Micro SD cards. It has considerable handling noise, so you should mount it an a camera tripod with the built-in 1/4" socket thread.
It is also very sensitive to wind noise, so you should use a fur windshield when recording outside.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:24 AM

You guys are so knowledgeable. Thank you for all of the advice!!

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, recording