The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I've had an ongoing problem with a Takamine having hum (touching the jack eliminates it) occasionally which I think is related to humidity causing the body/neck wood to expand and contract which causes the saddle to tilt in the bridge slot. When the saddle tilts it doesn't make good physical contact to the piezo element and seems to be when the hum occurs. If I loosen the strings and re-tighten/tune while ensuring the saddle stays flatly seated, I can usually eliminate the hum. This is easy to try and may remedy the hum you have (or not). A proper fitting saddle should be snug, but not real tight and not have much if looseness.

At about 1:50 in the video he shows what may happen.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIwo_Nj1pxE
Ta. I took another look at underside of the saddle and decided to try square if off a little more. Seems to have improved someway. Hum is still there but guiar is now louder so happy for now
Old 08-02-2023, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Also Port and Starboard for months on end. Don’t miss it either. Did 6 and out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, hum