The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-18-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Last week, I let it go to the next player, in Michigan. He is in for a treat if he is not personally familiar with Simon's guitars. I learned a new piece of music on it, one I'd never thought about playing before. And wonder now why I didn't.

I have played several Fay guitars now and now have a feel for the similarities in his workmanship and tonal palette. Each one has been superb. Compared to the one I own, the Desert Ironwood has a noticeably different sound, not necessarily better, certainly not worse, just.. not the same. Like mine, it is as clear and balanced as it is possible for a guitar to be. I enjoyed two weeks of daily pleasure.
Wow, you got to have 2 weeks with it! Now that is a nice trial period!
Old 09-18-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

What an amazing offer. If the guitar ever makes it to Western North Carolina i would love to swap songs and riffs with the temporary recipient. Still a few years out from a retirement guitar and would love to check it out.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-18-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Smile What Tom Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I imagine you will get a great feel for this axe in 2 weeks!!! And maybe some new songs will show up from the ether…

Sweet

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-18-2023, 09:30 AM

For anyone that would like to participate, the guitar is currently in Michigan and will be in the Great Lakes area for the next couple of months. It has already meandered its way up the East coast.

Here is a rough approximation of the actual Roadtrip Itinerary:

Nebraska -- December

Texas -- January, February

Louisiana -- February

Colorado -- March

California/Nevada -- March thru May

Washington/Idaho -- June, July

Please visit the Roadtrip page on my website if you'd like to participate. Once the guitar has finished its trip, it will need to return back to me in Florida. But before it returns home, I am more than happy to send it to folks that missed out on the initial trip, so long as you cover the shipping.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I had it for a few extra days as the fellow before me lived close enough we could hand deliver. At the other end, Labor Day weekend intervened, so I had to wait an extra day to sent it out. It's ironic as I know quite well how superb Simon's guitars are and told him upfront to remove me from the lineup if my inclusion meant someone else wouldn't get it. I don't think he seriously considered that, saying that everyone would get a chance. Which is like him.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:42 PM

Should add that while I “only” had the guitar about 5 days do to my own schedule, I am retired and played it and compared it to my own guitars for about 5-7 hours each day. It was was very special to have the opportunity to get to know such a special instrument over a few days.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-23-2023, 01:18 AM

I might need to reconsider that TX loop!
Old 09-28-2023, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Tim,
I have fond memories of playing “The Diamond” on its road-trip.
I do listen to you CD periodically. Very soothing and peaceful.

I hope whoever is on Simon's road trip will share their music with us. Road trip guitar threads can become a serious addiction. It's those one on one times the AGF forum members have with a brand spanking new guitars that intrigue me.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I do listen to you CD periodically. Very soothing and peaceful.

I hope whoever is on Simon's road trip will share their music with us. Road trip guitar threads can become a serious addiction. It's those one on one times the AGF forum members have with a brand spanking new guitars that intrigue me.
Tim, Thanks for the kind words and of course for lending me a few guitars
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 10-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I just shipped Simon’s guitar off to the next player in Indiana. I very much enjoyed having this stellar instrument around for the past couple of weeks. The appointments, while simple, are stellar. I really dig the heel and the overall shape of Simon’s Model One. Sonically, this is extremely well-balanced to the ear. It records very well, although I didn’t do much recording, I have one track I will share in this post. This is my first Desert Ironwood experience and I was impressed. It reminds me a bit of Koa, perhaps a bit more restrained in terms of overtones, but overall lots of clarity and balance. The action and set-up are superb, although I did find the Alessi open-back tuners to be a bit tight, but they certainly look sweet. For those who are interested here is a brief recording of road trip guitar
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited by Feste; 10-05-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Demo at KennyB's

This Saturday I had the chance to stop by fellow AGFer Kenny B's house here to try out Simon's wonderful road trip guitar. Below you'll find the video evidence!

As a Fay owner myself (Australian Blackwood / German) I was curious how the road-trip guitar would compare. Turns out I'd love to own both if that were possible. The Ironwood guitar is uniquely articulate, clear, punchy and glassy, with an inherent fatness or density that's difficult to describe. I found myself telling Ken that the guitar has a "spectacular signal to noise ratio"... whatever that means.

The song is an original of mine called "Object Permanence". It was inspired by watching my son hit the "object permanence" milestone in child development, wherein a child understands that an object continues to exist even when it cannot be seen, heard, or otherwise sensed. Musically, I tried to make the melody and theme "implicit" - each section of the song a different room in what is clearly the same house.

As with any amateur endeavor, the performance could have used more polish, but that does not change the fact I am most grateful to Simon and Ken, and happy to share with the community here.

Whoever ends up with this Model One should consider themselves lucky.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Great recording on the Simon Fay Roadtrip guitar! Thanks Diogo for the great example on how good this guitar sounds! And, nice composition!!!
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-09-2023, 06:03 AM

thanks for that recording Ken and Diogo! Simon what a great guitar!
Old 12-23-2023, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
This Saturday I had the chance to stop by fellow AGFer Kenny B's house here to try out Simon's wonderful road trip guitar. Below you'll find the video evidence!

As a Fay owner myself (Australian Blackwood / German) I was curious how the road-trip guitar would compare. Turns out I'd love to own both if that were possible. The Ironwood guitar is uniquely articulate, clear, punchy and glassy, with an inherent fatness or density that's difficult to describe. I found myself telling Ken that the guitar has a "spectacular signal to noise ratio"... whatever that means.

The song is an original of mine called "Object Permanence". It was inspired by watching my son hit the "object permanence" milestone in child development, wherein a child understands that an object continues to exist even when it cannot be seen, heard, or otherwise sensed. Musically, I tried to make the melody and theme "implicit" - each section of the song a different room in what is clearly the same house.

As with any amateur endeavor, the performance could have used more polish, but that does not change the fact I am most grateful to Simon and Ken, and happy to share with the community here.

Whoever ends up with this Model One should consider themselves lucky.

This is really really fine playing. As a psychologist, I appreciate the object permanence inspiration for this piece, too.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostelle View Post
Hi! I have been a 'lurker' on the AGF for many years but this is my first post. I have had the pleasure of playing Simon's latest road trip guitar for the last couple of weeks and sadly shipped it to the next person on the list this morning. I was also a participant in his first road trip 12 or so years ago. When Simon decided to sell the first guitar, I suppose I was lucky and was one of the first people to see the listing and jumped at the chance. It has been my main steel string since (I also play a lot of nylon). I was naturally very curious to see how far Simon's craft has developed and it's been a lot of fun switching back and forth the last few weeks . First I would say that my guitar is impeccably built. I have no complaints but having the two side by side, I can certainly see little details that show off his woodworking skills. Sonically much the same. When I go to a guitar store and play some really nice guitars, I'm always thinking this is nice, but not as nice as what I have at home. This new guitar is a better guitar. There are still things about my guitar that I like better, likely from 12 years of familiarity, but this one has a certain clarity about it. It's hard to describe but I can hear it. It is also a dream to play. Simon's set up skills are top notch. It was also my first experience with Alessi tuners. I am now spoiled. Thank you Simon (and also Calton Case).
I participated in that first Simon Fay roadtrip 12 years ago. Had the opportunity to play it and record a few tunes on it. Quite a sound it had.
The trebles were killer.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop