The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Alto Trouper

I usually play my solo gigs using a Bose Compact and/or Schertler Jam 150. Neither are cheap but both do a great job at smaller gigs.

Last week I bought an Alto Trouper for about $180. It's got three channels, 200 watts, bi-amped, and bluetooth capabilities. This thing is a beast for the money!

At this price you can use it as an added speaker, monitor or even by itself. I bought it to keep in my practice room so I don't have to set up and tear down every time I work on my gig.

Added bonus: my daughter can use it when her friends come over and, with the bluetooth capability, it rocks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Musical minimalist

I had a pair a while back and thought they were pretty good - I wish they'd come out with a "super trouper" with 8's and a slightly larger cabinet instead of the 6.5's - think it might give them just a little more warmth

Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm considering adding one to my Line 6 L2t to get a little extra coverage to the back of rooms.

I've been looking at all kinds of "box and stick" line array systems. But, each compact line array option forces me to compromise on features I have built into the Line 6, when I just want a little more penetration in a wine bar I occasionally play in.

In this situation, I would use the Trouper on a pole and the line 6 in monitor position. The Line 6 can be tilted so that it fires to the audience and the performer, from the floor. Nice feature. I'd get bass, and mixing, from the 10" woofer in the Line 6.

I don't want to invest $2,000 or $3,000 in a Bose system, because I won't recoup the cost using it as little as I do.

The only downside to this configuration is more stuff to carry. Hence, I keep coming back to the Eon One with a dbx gorack to get the EQ, compression, and feedback suppression in the Line 6.

Anyway, it's fun to think about.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Alto, like many other manufacturers use peak power in their advertising to make you think you're getting something that will blow anything else out of the water. With that said, the specs for the Trouper are 65 watts rms for the LF & 35 watts rms for the HF. Albeit the HF really doesn't need a whole lot of power to work, having at least 100 watts for the LF will give you more headroom.

I've not played or tested a Trouper myself so I can't say if 65 watts for the LF is adequate. I do know that subs and LF speakers are power hungry and will eat up the wattage quickly. If the OP could tell us how the Trouper sounds cranked, bass wise, that would be helpful.

I was going to buy one but since GC did not have any in store to test, I went with a pair of Kustom (Powerwerks) PA50's, which are 2x 4.5" + 1 piezo horn at 50 watts rms. When you put 2 of them together it can sound very nice in a large room with your acoustic plugged in. There's not a lot of bass but the mids are great!

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I had a pair a while back and thought they were pretty good - I wish they'd come out with a "super trouper" with 8's and a slightly larger cabinet instead of the 6.5's - think it might give them just a little more warmth
What about the Laney A-Duo

After their audiohub AH4x4 which is close to an alto trooper the made a 1x8" amp

PS: Correction: it is not nearly as powerful as the alto

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM

"If the OP could tell us how the Trouper sounds cranked, bass wise, that would be helpful."

It sounds pretty good, especially relative to its price. It's not as clean as the Jam 150 or as dry and crisp as the Bose, nor it is as loud.

But, when you factor in price, it really fills the niche I bought it for: a decent sounding all in one amp/speaker that can supplement your current system, use on its own for practice and/or small gigs, or rock the den at teenage dance parties.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

In an acoustic duo we use a pair as mains on stands with an unpowered mixer and haven't found a venue in which they were insufficient. We play small rooms that aren't generally too loud so that likely helps. They're hard to beat since we already had the mixer so now have a serviceable PA for not much money. I have a Fishman Artist that we can use to supplement the sound as needed but honestly we've typically used it as a monitor as we haven't needed more than the Altos will provide. As a bonus, when we've run out of inputs (between multiple guitars and mics) I have plugged my mandolin directly into one of the Trouper's channels we aren't already using for mains and it sounds pretty good. I'd recommend them with the caveats other posters have noted in terms of RMS. We have yet to need them maxed out and usually run the master volume at about 65%, channel volume about the same. Since we use them on stands the 6' power cord was somewhat of a problem. I bought a pair of 25' power cords on Amazon for pretty cheap and they work well. As a bonus, I can use the longer chord with any of my other amps and then have less need for additional extension chords when we're 'live.'
Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM

I wonder how much the Alto would be improved if you put a BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B1200D-PRO subwoofer under it.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 03-09-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
In an acoustic duo we use a pair as mains on stands with an unpowered mixer and haven't found a venue in which they were insufficient. We play small rooms that aren't generally too loud so that likely helps. They're hard to beat since we already had the mixer so now have a serviceable PA for not much money. I have a Fishman Artist that we can use to supplement the sound as needed but honestly we've typically used it as a monitor as we haven't needed more than the Altos will provide. As a bonus, when we've run out of inputs (between multiple guitars and mics) I have plugged my mandolin directly into one of the Trouper's channels we aren't already using for mains and it sounds pretty good. I'd recommend them with the caveats other posters have noted in terms of RMS. We have yet to need them maxed out and usually run the master volume at about 65%, channel volume about the same. Since we use them on stands the 6' power cord was somewhat of a problem. I bought a pair of 25' power cords on Amazon for pretty cheap and they work well. As a bonus, I can use the longer chord with any of my other amps and then have less need for additional extension chords when we're 'live.'
What he said ^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-09-2017, 05:23 PM

When you plug a 1/4" plug into the subwoofer out on the PA50's, the output of the cabinets will increase. This is due to not amplifying frequencies below 150 Hz, which are power robbing and also below the usefulness of the 4.5" drivers. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
Alto, like many other manufacturers use peak power in their advertising to make you think you're getting something that will blow anything else out of the water. With that said, the specs for the Trouper are 65 watts rms for the LF & 35 watts rms for the HF. Albeit the HF really doesn't need a whole lot of power to work, having at least 100 watts for the LF will give you more headroom.

I've not played or tested a Trouper myself so I can't say if 65 watts for the LF is adequate. I do know that subs and LF speakers are power hungry and will eat up the wattage quickly. If the OP could tell us how the Trouper sounds cranked, bass wise, that would be helpful.

I was going to buy one but since GC did not have any in store to test, I went with a pair of Kustom (Powerwerks) PA50's, which are 2x 4.5" + 1 piezo horn at 50 watts rms. When you put 2 of them together it can sound very nice in a large room with your acoustic plugged in. There's not a lot of bass but the mids are great!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM

I purchased the Alto Trouper last week, and I am using it for the first time tonight as a single main speaker for my acoustic solo show. I will report back how it sounds. I am using my QSC K10 on the floor as a monitor, which I will also angle towards the crowd to supplement the sound.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitar2000 View Post
I purchased the Alto Trouper last week, and I am using it for the first time tonight as a single main speaker for my acoustic solo show. I will report back how it sounds. I am using my QSC K10 on the floor as a monitor, which I will also angle towards the crowd to supplement the sound.

That's the same arrangement I'm considering. Let us know how I works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Roland street cube ex

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Roland street cube ex

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
My search just became a post. No delete function. How frustrating!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM

I have a pair of these and think they are great. I feed trouper 1 with the DI signal (post EQ) from my Fishman Loudbox Artist, and then link that to the other speaker.

Works great, for my solo performances. Played a fairly large (about 100 people) VFW the other night and my concerns that they were not big enough to put to rest at my sound check.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification